Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Pope statue in Hamtramck

http://www.piastinstitute.org/assets...nt_to_pope.pdf

The above article is from 2005 and mentions that $1,200 was raised in the first year for repairs to Pope park. Interesting that 14,000+ has been raised for the Robocop statue in a few days. Ouch.

From the looks of Pope park am I right in assuming that the fundraising fizzled and no repairs were made to PP? It just seems very odd to me that with the large number of people with Polish ancestry in this area that they wouldn't have had an easier time raising the money.

Polish people haven't been the majority there for years. The park will probably be left to rot. Or worse it will become offensive to the new majority and removed or vandalized.

The Polish American population of Hamtramck is dwindling, but a lot of Polish Catholics still go to church every Sunday in Hamtramck, and afterward visit the bars and restaurants. I see people visiting Pope Park on Sundays often, and there always seems to be fresh flowers and candels there. I believe that so long as people still visit St. Florians and St. Lad's churches, that Pope Park is safe.

And I don't imagine too many people are eager to celebrate child abuse.

Vox Guest

Perhaps there could be a modification to the statue to kill 2 birds with one stone. How about RoboPope?

I think Hamtramck went ahead with the repairs and shouldered much of the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by vox View Post
    perhaps there could be a modification to the statue to kill 2 birds with one stone. How about robopope?
    :d:d:d:d:d:d:d

GUSHI Guest

I remeber when the Pope visited H-town, it would be a shame if the city/residents/Polish didn't take care of the park, even if they left Hamtramck.