Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Milwaukee Junction ?

Can somebody describe this for me? History etc is it still considered viable ?

I assume you're talking about the railroad junction.....

Conjunction juction what's your function! I'm sorry I had to do that! It was just too easy.

Yes that is part of it .. I found a link ,I was searching property records and the name popped up . Thanks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milwaukee_Junction

The Milwaukee Junction was north of E. Grand Blvd. where the Grand Trunk Western line passed under the boulevard. In the 60's and 70's there was a stop on the commuter trains for those working in the New Center area. Just west of the passeneger station there was an office and parking area for those working on the GTW Railroad. There were switches and "wyes" there which allowed trains to head to the East Yard. There were Wyes for southbound trains which would permit them to head to West Detroit or the East Yard. If you have questions please post them and maybe I can answer them or other readers can answer them.

Stinger

DSR busses used to meet the commuter trains to ferry riders to New Center. Wasn't really much of a "station". The vending machine specialized in stale candy bars, but when you're a 15 year old railfan, it really didn't matter how stale they were.

In the steam era, there was a roundhouse on the southeast side of the junction, replaced by a concrete diesel shop. Used to hang around there a lot, especially during the time when Dick Jensen's ex-GTW Pacific was stored there.

Memory says there were Y's on all four legs, meaning you could go from one line to the other in any direction. Memory also says some of the east-west trackage was New York Central.

There's fairly conprehensive coverage of Milwaukee Junction on the "Detroit's Second Train Station" thread on the old forum. Search "Fort Street Union Depot" for the thread. It includes a couple of maps if I remember correctly.

LodgeDodger Guest

Milwaukee Junction was one of the reasons Henry Ford located the Ford Piquette factory in that area. Products could be shipped practically anywhere from the back door of the plant. That's in my tour area.

LodgeDodger Guest

I would highly recommend a visit to the TPLEX [[Ford Piquette Plant) to anyone who hasn't already visited.

Yes, back in the day Milwaukee Junction was quite the important railroad junction! This is where the former NYC line from Toledo to Bay City crossed the Grand Trunk Western mainline from Brush Street Station to Durand [[and Muskegon) and the GTW mainline from Port Huron met the Detroit & Toledo Shore Line main track which went from Milwaukee Junction to Toledo. Today, this is the Conrail Shared Assets mainline from FN Tower in Trenton to Sterling Heights, the CN Holly Subdivision, and the CN Mt. Clemens Subdivision, respectively. The Detroit Connecticut Railroad, a shortline outfit operated by the Adrian & Blissfield, operates what remains of the Dequindre Line from Milwaukee Junction down to Mack. I'm not sure if they interchange with the CN at East Yard or at the BOC Yard presently.

Back in the day, there were wye tracks in all four quadrants of the Grand Trunk. The NYC just passed through here. The Milwaukee Jct. tower operator would have to coordinate movements with nearby Beaubian Tower [[which is where the NYC crossed from the north side to the south side of the Shore Line, traveling west). All in all, some trains would have to be lined through 6 separate interlockings between the north side of Detroit and Delray, depending on their routing.

"Debunction junction whats your function!"

Paul

And I thought the jokes were going to be about petticoat junction.

You guys send me to the archives and I must have spent 4 hours there ,excellent reading ,Thanks

I talked with Norfolk Southern and they are active on that rail with Con rail being the rail owner,does the name apply only to the specific rail junction or is it considered an entire area.

Like say Pole-town is one area and Hamtrack is another or does the name apply to strictly the actual junction. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    Yes, back in the day Milwaukee Junction was quite the important railroad junction! This is where the former NYC line from Toledo to Bay City crossed the Grand Trunk Western mainline from Brush Street Station to Durand [[and Muskegon) and the GTW mainline from Port Huron met the Detroit & Toledo Shore Line main track which went from Milwaukee Junction to Toledo. Today, this is the Conrail Shared Assets mainline from FN Tower in Trenton to Sterling Heights, the CN Holly Subdivision, and the CN Mt. Clemens Subdivision, respectively. The Detroit Connecticut Railroad, a shortline outfit operated by the Adrian & Blissfield, operates what remains of the Dequindre Line from Milwaukee Junction down to Mack. I'm not sure if they interchange with the CN at East Yard or at the BOC Yard presently.

Back in the day, there were wye tracks in all four quadrants of the Grand Trunk. The NYC just passed through here. The Milwaukee Jct. tower operator would have to coordinate movements with nearby Beaubian Tower [[which is where the NYC crossed from the north side to the south side of the Shore Line, traveling west). All in all, some trains would have to be lined through 6 separate interlockings between the north side of Detroit and Delray, depending on their routing.
    So if you will bear with me here what was then the purpose of MTS? Was that considered for passenger and not so much the freight aspect?

LodgeDodger, When do you give tours at TPlex?

Stromberg2

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    LodgeDodger, When do you give tours at TPlex?

Stromberg2
    We don't have heat in the building, so we're generally not open to tours in winter unless it's a super-special occasion. I'm a TPLEX docent and Preservation Wayne Auto Heritage walking tour guide. Preservation Wayne tours run from May to October. The Auto Heritage tour includes a tour of the TPLEX.

Of course, I'm happy to schedule special tours for groups of ten or more any time of year. All Preservation Wayne Auto Heritage tour monies are donated to the TPLEX.

Why don't we schedule a special DetroitYes! Auto Heritage and TPLEX tour? Who's with me?

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    My Mom's family home is in that picture. Thank you for that.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    My Mom's family home is in that picture. Thank you for that.
    That's always a fun find!