Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Tear Down of Wilbur Wright Cooperative High School

I've just learned that my old high school has been razed. Does anyone on the forum live nearby? If so, could you possibly take a picture of the area for me and post it here? I sure would appreciate if someone could do that.

I know the school has been in variious stages of demolition for quite some time, but to have it actually gone leaves me quite sad. I know it's for the best - no more eyesore there.

I have used Google in the past to "walk" past it. However, it will be sometime before that feature will be updated again.

Thanks

I'm sure someone can post more but here are pics of it in the process.

http://www.detroitfunk.com/?p=4899

I lived in Woodbridge 2 blocks east a few years back the place was an empty shell with every window knocked out at that point.

Thank you 5speedz34! What a quick response! I sure do appreciate you getting on the case!

I have a shot of the last section being demolished here.

Proslack Guest

here's a great video walk though from a couple years ago. It's cool and haunting

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...ed_wilbur.html

Two Questions
    [[1) Does anyone know the old team song from the 1956-1958 years?
    The first part goes, if I remember correctly.
    "Let's give a cheer for the Blue & Gold
    waving forever
    Forever proud of our Wilbur Wright
    May she fall never"
    [[2) What were the names of the two stores we hung out on the NW & SW corners across from the school.
    Thanks
    Last edited by FEO; February-12-11 at 09:08 PM.

Thank you for documenting this razing.

FEO - I only remember the hangout as being called Julie's. That's where we would go for coffee and cokes and listen to the jukebox. That was just over from the school's automotive department I think. Then up on Grand River there was a Top Hat or White Castle hamburger place. I just remember houses across from the school.

Parkguy - that's a great shot. Thank you for posting that.

Proslack - thank you for posting the video. I had seen another one a while ago. This one had better lighting. Gosh, I remember running up and down those steps just about every hour of every school day. Memories.

Many thanks to you all.

WWHS Alumni of July 1965

Thank you eriedearie
    Julie's was the name I was trying to recall. I don't remember if the one on the NW corner, across from Julies had a name. It was there during my time 56-58.
    Point of information, in 1956 & 1957 it was an all boys school. In 1958 They closed an all girls school ,Goldberg, and transfered them to Wilbur Wright. Prior to the girls coming, the programs were, Automotive, Business, Electrical, Manufacturing & Trade Drafting. In 1958 they added Needle Trade, Commercial Foods, Retailing & Nurses Aid. I checked my 3 year books to make sure. Also while we learned a trade there was a recession in 1958 and jobs were scarce so many of us went into the Army or other branches of the Armed Forces

FEO - Yes I remember learning about WWHS at first being an all boys school. That was one of the reasons all us girls wanted to attend! LOL I guess we figured all you guys would still want to go to school there even though it went co-ed. By the time I got there in 1962 the mix was about half and half.

I wish our youth of today could have the same opportunity we had with that program. Each month you went to school for two weeks and went to work for two weeks. Your two weeks of school consisted of learning all the usual basics, plus learning things about the field of your choice while in school. You learned how to look for a job, go on interviews, how to work out in the public and how to conduct yourself. Everything was career oriented and prepared you for after graduation. You received a grade from the supervisor of your co-op job for your report card and you got paid. It was a terrific system for the businesses and for the students.

We didn't get a chance to do a drive-by for pictures yesterday cause we were running late, but perhaps the next time we go back across the border we can do that. In the meantime, thank you all for your responses.

P.S. I'm going to ask someone about that song and if I find out for you I'll post it here!
    Last edited by eriedearie; February-14-11 at 07:04 AM. Reason: added the P.S.

FEO - this is what I heard from my source. She can't find the printed copy but this is what she remembers -----

Lets give a cheer for the blue and gold
    waving forever
    forever pride of our Wilbur Wright
    may she fall never
    ________
    lets give a cheer for the team at play
    dadada

I've put out more feelers - maybe someone will hit upon it! I'll let you know.

Eriedearie
    Thanks for the additional line. I am e-maiingl two people that went to Wilbur Wright during my time 56-58 to see if they know the rest.
    Thanks again and will let you know what I find out

Hi FEO - got some feedback here for ya::ne of the gals says -

"Let's sing a song for the flag today, cheer for the team at play, on to the goal we'll fight our way for Wilbur Wright."

At least that's the way my old brain remembers it!

Maybe the bits and pieces that get remembered we can get the whole song!

eriedearie

Thanks..Here's what we have so far:
    The lines in BOLD are interchangable, depending on what is the correct one
    Wilbur Wright High School Cheer
    Let’s give a cheer for the blue and gold
    waving forever
    forever pride of our Wilbur Wright
    may she fall never

"Let's sing a song for the flag today,

cheer for the team at play,
    on to the goal we'll fight our way for Wilbur Wright."

lets give a cheer for the team at play
    Thanks again. I havn't heard from some of the ones I contacted. Being over 70 they may not be around anymore. I will keep trying to see if that is the complete song with some of the "old folks " that went to florida for the winter.

Detroit Urbex has photos. I took a couple, too.

http://detroiturbex.com/content/scho...ur/wilbur.html

Default Wilbur Wright

FEO

I also went to Wright 1956 to 1958.
    What trade were you in.
    I think we just called the the place on the NE corner Dukes

Caldogven

I was in Manufacturing, will try sending you a private mesage after this.

FEO - I've sent an email to James Tatum asking him for the correct words. I'll let you know if I hear from him!!! LOL

Buildingsofdetroit - thank you for that link - those were pictures I had not seen before.

Caldogven - you're right! Now I remember...Duke's - yeah...it's coming back to me.

FEO - I've just spoken with Mr. James Tatum! He would like to speak with you as well. If you will send me a private message on here I will give you his phone number.

Update FEO!

I received an email from one of the alumni and she said her class president had the WWHS words printed up for their 2002 class reunion. She remembered she had saved hers so we now have the words!

"Let's give a cheer for the blue and gold waving forever, forever pride of our Wilbur Wright, May she fall never. Let's sing a song for the flag today, cheer for the team at play, on to the goal we'll fight our way..for Wilbur Wright."

See a new thread I am posting today regarding a benefit performance being done by the James Tatum Foundation For The Arts, Inc.

Eriedearie
    Thank you very much, as for years I have been trying to remember it. I had it memorized, as in studyhall the teacher let us out early if we could sing it. I sang it so I could go to "JULIES OR DUKES" for a coke and listen to the "JUKEBOX" playing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tsF8z54esI AT MY FRONT DOOR BY THE EL DORADOS
    Thanks again
    FEO

You are very welcome FEO! WOW that was great to see a phonograph record player in action once again! Mine is long gone. Still have all my 45s and albums though!