Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default RoboCop statue in Detroit. I thought this was a joke.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011020...yssey=nav|head

I just dont see it. What do you all think.

It WAS a joke originally.

Over at Kickstarter, they have raised in excess of $13k in, what, 2 days? There's no question it's happening.

I think it's a good thing. Any additional negative portrayals of Detroit it inspires is likely to be negligible, IMO.

Meanwhile, it might inspire some articles about improvements since RoboCop was made, more substantive discussion about MCS, and the Corktown neighborhood it will be located in as well.

I am old so I think it is silly and to me a bit of an embarrassment, 5 years from now the movie will be a faded memory,but having said that put the rail in and keep saving Detroit history but then hey if it gives that group some civic pride go for it. It is nice to see people taking a stand for what they believe in right or wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I am old so I think it is silly and to me a bit of an embarrassment, 5 years from now the movie will be a faded memory,but having said that put the rail in and keep saving Detroit history but then hey if it gives that group some civic pride go for it. It is nice to see people taking a stand for what they believe in right or wrong.
    It was made in 1987 so it's already been around for over 20 years and has quite the cult following.

There are statues of Paul Bunyan, Superman and a host of other movie 'heroes' so why not one of Officer Alex Murphy?

I think it'd be a great draw for the curious movie-goer, especially with the film industry expanding in town. It could be just the quirky kind of thing the city needs.
    Last edited by Meddle; February-12-11 at 05:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    It could be just the quirky kind of thing the city needs.
    Exactly,

I bet you the majority of people drive/walk by most statues and barely notice them. A Robo cop statue will be an attention grabber.

It's goofy, but a fun kind of goofy.

http://pictovista.blogspot.com/2009/...y-statues.html

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    It was made in 1987 so it's already been around for over 20 years and has quite the cult following.

There are statues of Paul Bunyan, Superman and a host of other movie 'heroes' so why not one of Officer Alex Murphy?

I think it'd be a great draw for the curious movie-goer, especially with the film industry expanding in town. It could be just the quirky kind of thing the city needs.
    Besides, it would be fun.
    The individuals involved are entrenched in the positive aspects of revitalization
    in Cork Town and Detroit in general. Anything positive coming from the region
    of that neighborhood, and the MCS, and Roosevelt Park, has to be better than
    that image being currently portrayed by Mr. Maroun, and his 'Slum Lord'
    participation. That area, that former Train Station, that building, should be
    confiscated by the City of Detroit.....and revitalized, by the people, if necessary.
    I've gone on websites showing similar buildings in major cities having been
    turned into 'Roman Ruins' type attractions. Redeveloped into public parks,
    with integrated green spaces, walkways, uplighting onto the 'ruins', maybe even
    an amphitheater, to try and preserve some of Detroit's glorious past, which has
    everything to do with it's glorious future. Besides, it's one hell'eva beautiful
    building. And what a perfect way to integrate downtown to Mexican/Southwest
    side. Hey, I personally think M.Illitch and Co. should build their new Arena on
    the site of the old Tiger Stadium!!!! Boy, wouldn't THAT bring back the area.
    So, the RoboCop Statue? Hell yeah!!!! Why not??? What or who would it hurt?
    I've heard some preliminary plans, and I think it could stir up some excitement.
    Don't we NEED some positive excitement? All you older folk, if you can't DIG
    the scene [[including our Mayor)....why not just step back, and enjoy the ride.
    You know, there's a very cool park in Chicago, 'OZ PARK', some of you might want to check out. A local Metal Art Sculptor has created sculptures of the four
    main characters from the movie 'The Wizard Of Oz' which adorn the four entrances to this, very nice, park. He creates these wonderful pieces from the
    recycled junk of cars, mainly the bumpers. Can't we Detroiters come up with
    similar scenarios, without fuddyduddy's there to hinder the art aspect of a
    Detroit revitalization?
    Remember the late nineties jingle on Detroit airwaves ???????,
    "You Gotta Have Art"
    Well....we ought'a have art.

SciFi Geeks do all sorts of weird things. This might even help bring something like ComicCon to town.

These guys should stick with going to Star Trek conventions. I bet thing same folks think dressing up like Darth Vader is a good way to get chicks!

Maybe so, but they spend money. Lots of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    These guys should stick with going to Star Trek conventions. I bet thing same folks think dressing up like Darth Vader is a good way to get chicks!
    I'm not a 'Trekky' Detroitplanner.
    Do you really make plans for Detroit, or is this just a 'cute' moniker?
    I don't 'dress-up' Detroitplanner.
    Do you dress like a citizen who's given up on new ideas?
    Do you like to sit and post all day, bitching and complaining, yet unwilling
    to open your mind, your imagination, to artistic ideas and ideals?
    O.k., I'm finished with my sarcasm. My apologies for my curtness.
    I just don't see the problem with a little show of affection, for 'Pop Art'.
    That's what this is actually. It's not just people interested in Hero Action Movies.
    It's mainly about, getting up and doing something positive, and fun, for
    our City Of Detroit.
    I really don't see any down angle on this subject.
    You know, there is separate funding, aside from the operations funding,
    especially appointed to the arts in this city, besides the monies pilfered recently
    by, less than forthright, Gallery owners.
    At some point in our city's history, individuals concerned with extracurricular
    activities other than self-grandising, and thievery, acted upon their good conscious
    and appointed power, and passed lines of decency in the city charter, setting
    aside funds for the arts. These lines of decency, these funds of public monies,
    were designed to allow the citizen's to breathe the airs of non-strategic politics.
    To remove us from the every day complications of humanity, and to bask in
    the world of imagination, and sometimes, fantasy. It's what keeps us sane, art,
    music, laughter, frolic.
    So, loosen up, I don't think this project is looking to break the bank, probably
    not even dent it much, if at all. Let it play out a little. My opinion of course.

Why stop at Robocop? Why not get one of Larry Flynt and George W Bush as well? Why lets put up a statue of Madonna and maybe one of Ted Nugent. I bet we can put up a statue to the underwear bomber too.

The fact is that some ideas are just pointless. You will need city approval to get something like this on City Land. No one is going to give it to you.

I wouldn't worry too much. Wait until they have to get Mom to pull out her checkbook for their pledges.

Totally embarrassing. Maybe we should put up statues of Donald Duck, Yoda, the Terminator, and that aggravating comic relief dinosaur character from the sucky second set of Star Wars movies too. Or how about a sculpture of Clint Eatwood in that movie where he was fighting the brutal Asian gangs of Highland Park?

The fact is that some ideas are just pointless. You will need city approval to get something like this on City Land. No one is going to give it to you.
    The mayor's office said that they would consider providing the space for it if the funds are raised.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    The mayor's office said that they would consider providing the space for it if the funds are raised.
    I can see them now... we considered it, the answer is no. Here donate the money to a homeless shelter.

You will need city approval to get something like this on City Land. No one is going to give it to you.
    From what I've read, after Bing declined the facetious offer, the current plan is that the robocop statue idea is being privately funded and erected on private property.

Ummm... perhaps there are better uses for our "silly money" here in the poorest major city in the country?

Forget having a statue of Robocop, Detroit needs the real thing. Take The Fist off of it's mount and use it to knock on the doors of crack houses, corrupt politicos, tax cheats.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Ummm... perhaps there are better uses for our "silly money" here in the poorest major city in the country?
    Unless there's a second coming of Mother Teresa everyone spends money on frivolous things that could be put to better use.

Why stop at Robocop? Why not get one of Larry Flynt and George W Bush as well? Why lets put up a statue of Madonna and maybe one of Ted Nugent. I bet we can put up a statue to the underwear bomber too.
    Guess you haven't seen the movie, eh?

Murphy is the good guy. The superhero.

The only thing for the City not to like is that he actually wins out over corruption and greed.

It s a bit more complicated then raise some funds and build a statue,so he is standing there and needs a bath who then handles/pays that?

Little Mikey thinks it cool to climb up on his shoulder and have his picture taken and he falls off what happens next?

Once it is or if it is placed on city property it then becomes by the people for the people so it would take a majority to have it become a reality.

It is way more involved then to say hey heres $15 grand lets throw this statue up, it needs to be reviewed which costs time and money.It was the mayors duty to say no without looking at all of the angles ,that there shows that he is doing what he was put in place to do.

But if the majority steps up and says okay then the majority has spoken.

But all of this stuff of the older folk need to step aside and we want Detroit to be based on the 30 something generation ? Who do you think is funding all of this growth and rehabilitation ? So do not be so quick to push them into a corner.

Tough job appeasing the masses.

I believe I spoke to soon. Ive been thinking about it and the fact that it was a joke to begin with makes it a little easier to swallow. Maybe we need a statue that says we in Detroit can laugh at ourselves a little. Its not high art but it is a symbol. Detroit has always been a pretty hard edged city but with Hollywood giving us all that love as of late, RoboCop could be something of a gesture rep'ing our change..

Robocop statue for Detroit??? Only if Manhattan gets a Snake Plissken statue.

How about a statue of Ronald Reagan? He did win in 1980, we did have the Republican convention here that year,,,and it was the 100 year anniversery of his birth last week...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast