Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Free Press Building restoration.

According to the Buildings of Detroit site the Free Press Building will undergo a restoration and conversion operation from the beginning of 2011. I think it's time to keep an eye on this gem to coming months. Seeing that the UA building and Broderick Tower have dedicated threads, I thought This building certainly would merit it's own thread.

Free Press Building.

[[From Buildings of Detroit.)

When did the neon come down? The picture above seems fairly recent, based on the cars parked here.

Would be nice if they reconstructed the neon on top just like they did with the Mobil oil horse in downtonw Dallas.

This is a reconstruction of an old version of this neon classic. Reconstruction the horse.

They could utilize the same company based on that experience.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; February-11-11 at 09:57 PM.

I may be confused but I thought I read somewhere that building was up for sale ? Either way I am sure Albert would be happy.
    Last edited by Richard; February-11-11 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I may be confused but I thought I read somewhere that building was up for sale ?
    Could be that the BoD site wasn't updated. Or maybe this information is correct, which would be great.
    On June 16, 2010, financing for a $70-million plan to turn the building into apartments and office and retail space was approved by the Detroit Brownfield Redevelopment Authority. Leo Phillips, a real estate investor who helped redevelop the Fort Shelby Hotel is the local project manager, giving the plan someone with experience, credibility and a past record of success. Work is expected to begin in early 2011 and take about a year.

Quote Originally Posted by BuildingsofDetroit.com
    Work is expected to begin in early 2011 and take about a year.
    I don't remember reading this in the original news report. All I can recall is that it was approved for brownfield tax credits. I would really be surprised if work began anytime soon. Although, I'd be ecstatic if work began RIGHT NOW.

It was in the original news report. I'll find the graph later today.
    Obviously, work hasn't started yet, but it's still early in early 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    That's the spirit!

The only thing in my city that comes close to the neon on the Freep:

Google maps link.

The Postbank sign is gone now since the bank merged with another. The building is now owned by ING Bank. The hand stayed there, thankfully. And it's lit at night. This piece of art was designed by renowned Dutch artist Marte Röling , who is cool in my book since she had a genuine F-104 Starfighter in the backyard.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; February-15-11 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post

From Free Press on June 17, 2010:

"Leo Phillips, a local investor who helped redevelop what is now the Doubletree Fort Shelby hotel, is the local project manager for the Florida owners. He said he hoped construction might begin in early 2011 and take about a year."