Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Red Bull Races

Default Red Bull Races

Anyone know why the race is being held in only Windsor this year? Last year if I remember the location was "Detroit riverfront" and the resources for the race were split up between the D and Windsor. This year I guess there will be no official race presence on this side of the river. Just seems like there will be people watching it from the Detroit side anyway, so why not set some stuff up and make it an event for Detroit too?

If this has been covered or answered point me in the right direction, I saw the first ad for it the other day and was surprised.

gravitymachine Guest

same reason the detroit festival of the arts was cancelled and the belle isle grand prix was cancelled. no money

The Mayor of Windsor heavily petitioned the Red Bull folks to bring the race back, since it was originally slated to skip us. Detroit didn't help, and had no money, so Windsor gets all the credit this year [[and rightfully so). Getting $3.2 mill from the Canadian Government to help offset the lack of sponsors also helped.
    http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Bull...493/story.html

We are going to have few stands set up, nothing too significant. The only thing the City of Detroit, as a public corporate body, provided last year was the Detroit City Airport and Hart Plaza. Unfortunately, Hart plaza was off the table, thanks to the Cobo mess, and Cockrel never bothered to negotiate or return calls to the Red Bull people. That's why we we're going to be skipped. The City of Windsor then stepped in and the rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitymachine View Post
    same reason the detroit festival of the arts was cancelled and the belle isle grand prix was cancelled. no money

Before you start spreading rumors, let's clear something up. The Detroit Festival of the Arts is not being cancelled due to money issues. They are cancelling it because they are starting construction on the Midtown Loop

Detroit had no money to support the race on their side of the river so Windsor's mayor went on a campaing to bring it back on his own. He even went to London to lobby for it.

Organizers and pilots were also complained about inadiquate security at City Airport.

I should add that there will still be viewing sections on the Detroit side. Everything will just be based in Windsor.
    Last edited by leland_palmer; May-13-09 at 02:34 PM.

Default Rebuttal,

As I remember, the city was only to supply police presence not security at the City Airport and police presence they did have in abundance. Security was the responsibility of the Red Bull promoter. Regarding the return of the race to Detroit this year. It was the lack of response from the mayor’s office and city council. Red Bull was all geared up for the return but couldn’t get a response.

Think of the race this year only in reverse from last. Windsor will host Detroit will be a good viewing point. Go enjoy the race.
    Last edited by FlyByDon; September-21-09 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByDon View Post
    As I remember, the city was only to supply police presence not security at the City Airport and police presence they did have in abundance. Security was the responsibility of the Red Bull promoter.
    I guess you could debate which security they were talking about...

Doug Guthrie
    The Detroit News
    February 4, 2009

While in Detroit last year, Red Bull's pilots and crews complained about their security in the neighborhoods surrounding their temporary headquarters, set up at Coleman A. Young International Airport.

-----
    Regarding the return of the race to Detroit this year. It was the lack of response from the mayor’s office and city council. Red Bull was all geared up for the return but couldn’t get a response.
    I remember when Red Bull went in front of Council to ask permission to charge admission on city property that the council claimed that they were never approached about the race prior to this request. I don't think it was mentioned if they approached the Mayor or not. Either way I doubt the city would have ponied up the $2.6M Ontario did for the event.

In other words, they didn't like the complexion of the neighborhoods near the airport...

Let's face it, we had it last year, it was a great event, even with the high wind day, the pilot's were all very nice and personable, and Detroit was given high marks for being a good host city for the event like we always are for big sporting events. But, unlike the Superbowl, Final four and even Wrestlemania, this was an event that we could have hosted every year. So of course, we screwed it up. All hail the Detroit way.

Quote Originally Posted by kraig View Post
    Let's face it, we had it last year, it was a great event, even with the high wind day, the pilot's were all very nice and personable, and Detroit was given high marks for being a good host city for the event like we always are for big sporting events. But, unlike the Superbowl, Final four and even Wrestlemania, this was an event that we could have hosted every year. So of course, we screwed it up. All hail the Detroit way.

It's ludicrous to think that Detroit simply "screwed it up." Have you been in the Metro Detroit area at alll the past year? We are on our 3rd mayor in less than a year and the city council has gone nuts. There are much more pressing issues in Detroit that need to have full attention, the Red Bull Air Races would not be one of them. Yes it brings in money and publicity, but we need to get the city's finances, safety and leadership in order first. Either way, I find it expected that the Mayor's office never got back to the Red Bull Air Race phone calls - We have to worry about what's going on in our own region, and when we've had 3 mayors in less than a year and with all the issues Detroit has to fix - what the hell did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    In other words, they didn't like the complexion of the neighborhoods near the airport...
    I don't think that is the case, as the security was ample for the event, and race is not important with most of the pilots, as they are mostly from foreign countries, who lack the complexity of American racism.

The City Council, under Mon the Con, would not want to be a part of this, as she is of the basic neo-black, clown council... and the racer's certainly don't look like her.

Thus, under" Her Regime", they were forgotten and left to wither on the vine. Windsor picked up the slack, and as such, are the host city.

Detroit can still welcome all the folks coming to view the races, as there will be many people on both sides of the boarder.

Quote Originally Posted by dcmorrison12 View Post
    It's ludicrous to think that Detroit simply "screwed it up." Have you been in the Metro Detroit area at alll the past year? We are on our 3rd mayor in less than a year and the city council has gone nuts. There are much more pressing issues in Detroit that need to have full attention, the Red Bull Air Races would not be one of them. Yes it brings in money and publicity, but we need to get the city's finances, safety and leadership in order first. Either way, I find it expected that the Mayor's office never got back to the Red Bull Air Race phone calls - We have to worry about what's going on in our own region, and when we've had 3 mayors in less than a year and with all the issues Detroit has to fix - what the hell did you expect?

It's called Multitasking, that's what a successful city is supposed to do. What's ludicrous is that a city that's suffering from a lack money and business, along with a bad public image, would not jump at the chance to bring back an event that brought money and good publicity to the City.

If we wait until we get the city's finances, safety and leadership in order first. We might as well give up on everything.

You find it expected that the Mayor's office would not get back to the Red Bull race people, due to the fact, that we have to worry about our own region. The race is in our region. Not expecting at least one person from a workforce that numbers over 12,000 to get back to the sponsors of an International Sporting Event represents what I mean when I say the Detroit Way. Only in Detroit do we expect our public officials to be that damn stupid.

But hey, you did manage to get one thing right. It is ludicrous for me to say that the city screwed up. I think it would be more appropriate to say that the city FUCKED UP. There, how's that.