Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default WNIC is now FRESH100.3

So this morning my wife turns on the radio, for some reason turns on 100.3 and its a new station. How long has WNIC been around?

I've been seeing the commerical for FRESH for a couple of weeks now. I was surprised to know they'd changed. I've not listened to the station on a regular basis since Jim Harper left. The only time I tune to NIC now is during the holidays.
    The station took the call letters[[WNIC)in 1972. From what I'm reading they changed to FRESH in Dec of last year.
    Last edited by trotwood; February-11-11 at 10:59 AM.

Does this change mean the holiday music is being dropped?
    I still hear some of the old songs being played sometimes.

did the call letters change?

I guess that explains what happened to flashback weekends.

Well, as somebody who grew up with WNIC's "soft hits" [["soft tits?") format in the 1980s, I had a sentimental attachment to the station and its honey-voiced late-night DJ on "Pillow Talk." But with their recent "all-holiday" programming from Thanksgiving to X-mas, I knew something was wrong. I think I'll listen to "Summer Madness" today in memory of some good times long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcove Magnesia View Post
    did the call letters change?
    The station ID still shows as WNIC in the FCC's database:

http://www.fcc.gov/fcc-bin/fmq?list=0&facid=6594

It's still WNIC, but they got FRESH after they stopped playing the Christmas music the Monday after Christmas. They'd been advertising it with promo ads during December. They snagged Jay Tower as one of their new fresh DJs. It seems to me that most all the staff from WNIC has moved over to WMGC Magic 105.

Who, or what was WNIC? And who is FRESH?

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    Who, or what was WNIC? And who is FRESH?
    Prominently featured in the new format will be artists Doug E. Fresh and the Fresh Prince, and any other act that has the word "fresh" in his/her/its name.

How far back do you want to go? It started out as WKMH-FM in the early 50's, and when Keener 13 hit the air in '63, the FM came along, adopting both the format and call letters. They simlucast during most of the day [[I think they split at 3 pm), doing separate Top-40 from the AM....but using the same format....through the evening. Don't quote me, but memory says their raitings weren't bad at night. Keener 13's signal didn't reach the east side at night but the FM did, and they drew some numbers that way.

In '69 they went progressive, splitting the stations at noon [[Jerry Goodwin: "Hi Noon, hi friends....") and in '72, when Keener 13 went the way of the joy buzzer and the dribble glass, the FM followed, changing calls to WNIC and the format to a light adult contemporary using the handle "Stereo Island", and they've been an AC station in one form or another ever since.

does this mean WNIC will be shuttering their studios & piping in their music from somewhere else, like Vegas or Texas or wherever?

WNIC - "Detroit's Nicest Rock" [[announced in a syrupy voice). I always figured if I heard something on WNIC it passed the office waiting room test for acceptability. Lionel Richie yes, Rick James no. Tears for Fears yes, Black Sabbath no. Alan Almond's Pillow Talk show was on in the evenings - as a youngster I always dismissed it as anesthesia for overstressed 9-5 desk workers. But in retrospect I think he did a great job. His voice was impossibly deep, rich and intimate. He was so popular in the '80s, I think, that there was a guy on another station basically imitating his voice and style. He disappeared, I think, and then was mysteriously on the air again a few years ago.

I can remember first listening to WNIC back in 1975 as I started commuting to Wayne State. Jim Harper and Jerry St. Clair aka Jim and Jer were the morning guys. They made personal appearances around town....like at Uncle Sam's over on Telegraph and I-96.

I feel sorry for all the dental/doctor office secretaries that had change the radio station for the first time in their career. =)