Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Wayne County Loses out on $65 Million!

This is quite a story from WXYZ.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/local_n...-broken-system

Wayne County courts haven't gone after bond money for 20 plus years. Adds up to $65 million---NOT including bail bond companies. Wow.

reaction from others?

Buy American Guest

Inexcuseable in my opinion. They are asking for pay concessions and laying off people and all the while they could have collected 65 million? What would it cost to hire about 4 people to start working on this? It would be well worth it, don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    Inexcuseable in my opinion. They are asking for pay concessions and laying off people and all the while they could have collected 65 million? What would it cost to hire about 4 people to start working on this? It would be well worth it, don't you think?
    I agree with the sentiment but disagree about the approach.
    They should simply contract out with a collections company where the pay is based as a % of revenue collected.

It's a commonly used practice and it will ensure that there is no additional county headcount and no additionaly management to oversee the operations. WC may forgo some of the potential revenues but they will limit risk and overhead.

What a great system if your a bail bondsmen. Maybe we will see "Dog the Bounty Hunter" running around Detroit now.

Mr. Houdini Guest

laziness on Detroit's part

i'm surprised anyone is in shock...at least it will get some attention now. we are at the tip of the iceberg in wayne county/detroit in terms of eliminating waste/bad business practices...ficano talks as if he's an agent of change but the results are not impressive so far...i think bing is still getting his hands around the issues to identify what can be changed...we're close to meaningful changes i hope we get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Houdini View Post
    laziness on Detroit's part
    Ummm... when exactly did the city take over the COUNTY court system??

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Ummm... when exactly did the city take over the COUNTY court system??
    The story also spoke to the same situation at 36th District Court which is funded by the City and is pretty much the city court as all the cases heard in it are from the City. The story also reported 36th records are such a mess, they couldn't figure out how much was forfeited bond money was out there.

How is this not mindblowing? While in some cases collection will simply be a fairy tale, this seems like...how do I put this...like a welcome innovation in public administration?

If the meter-maid part of the operation works [[different thread, folks ;-), why is this neglected?

FWIW,
    In other courts like Macomb County, officials say they didn't go after forfeited bond until 2006. Now bond collection has tripled. In fact, our cameras were there when one bond company delivered a $50,000 check to clerk's office when one of its clients fled the state. In Oakland County, the court administrator told us they don't always pursue bail after a defendant fails to appear, but Oakland County Prosecutor Jessica Cooper has stepped up the county's efforts in recent years.

Macomb and Oakland have it together more, but the whole region might be tarnished in this regard.
    Last edited by fryar; February-11-11 at 04:11 PM. Reason: still learning to "code" for the board

UNBELIVEABLE !!!

Wayne County leaves $65 MILLION on the table along with a broken bail bond system. Is it any wonder they are always asking for more money from the taxpayers?

Fraud, kickbacks and corruption are bad enough, but purely WASTING the chance to pick up $65 MILLION is NOT acceptable.

Maybe they need to privatize the collection process on bail bonds as apparently nobdy is looking out for the taxpayer now.

Additionally, maybe Police Officer Brian Huff would still be alive if if the bond jumper, Jason Gibson, and been rounded up the first time by the Bailbondsman that he walked out on.

Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    The story also spoke to the same situation at 36th District Court which is funded by the City and is pretty much the city court as all the cases heard in it are from the City. The story also reported 36th records are such a mess, they couldn't figure out how much was forfeited bond money was out there.
    Thanks Jackie... I'm up to speed!! ;-)