Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Save grayling elementary school

SIGN THIS PETITION

Or copy this message into an email to me at DHBohan8760 and I will forward to DPS officials.

PRESERVE THIS SCHOOL!!!
    I have seen the pictures of the destruction inside this school. Books and papers and desks and equipment have been destroyed simply because the building was not secured. Material and equipment that could have been salvaged and used elsewhere.

THIS IS UNFORGIVEABLE. What a WASTE of taxpayer money.

Buildings are not constructed this way any more. The Library alone was beautifully finished with book shelves and wooden window seats that qualify this building to be placed on the Historic Register.

This was once a magnificent building that served a friendly, safe, and welcoming community. It deserves better than this!

SAVE THIS BUILDING.

Last edited by Sarah (Dawn) Barnes; February-10-11 at 03:04 PM.

Can't we sign the petition, even if we didn't attend this school? The destruction of every classic piece of architecture in this town, every thing that school once was to the area impacts the entire city in a domino affect. The preservation of this building is important to all of us, whether we were a student there or not, should be of little consequence.

http://detnews.com/article/20101110/...from-DPS-sites

There is going to come a time when these properties will become an asset ,for use as charter school etc. even if a shell remains it is still cheaper then building new.

I am sure anybody that is a taxpayer can submit the form it takes a majority to make a difference.

Anybody can sign!

Tell everyone you know. So far, I have not received any emails re this so I hope you all are doing this yourself direct. I have now written a PLAN for saving schools and communities. I am going to send it to as many groups as possible. Starting with Congress. The plan is to use these wonderful large structures in every community to assist people in need -- prove food, shelter, physical activities, learning. To help folks in need get back on their feet.

I have also posted this plan on my blog -- www.SarahSaysExpressYourself.blogspot.com

This could be a grassroots plan across the nation!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah [[Dawn) Barnes View Post
    Anybody can sign!

Tell everyone you know. So far, I have not received any emails re this so I hope you all are doing this yourself direct. I have now written a PLAN for saving schools and communities. I am going to send it to as many groups as possible. Starting with Congress. The plan is to use these wonderful large structures in every community to assist people in need -- prove food, shelter, physical activities, learning. To help folks in need get back on their feet.

I have also posted this plan on my blog -- www.SarahSaysExpressYourself.blogspot.com

This could be a grassroots plan across the nation!
    Maybe the National Trust for Historic Preservation can help. They have a historic school program: http://www.preservationnation.org/is...toric-schools/

I figure that i can post anther picture from my collection of buildings, since anyone who reads this post will know that Grayling Elementary School is wide open and in terrible condition. I feel safe posting pictures of Grayling, so enjoy....

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2zsbk91&s=7
    Last edited by detroitbob66; March-07-11 at 03:31 AM.

I feel safe posting pictures of Grayling, so enjoy....

Maybe I'm missing something here but why wouldn't you feel "safe" posting pictures you've taken of the school?

What a waste of money! Surely, it costs a lot to build a school and then just junk everything as if no value at all? Wow, our economy is down and people are struggling. Please cooperate!

It's like a job. They show up at 9 p.m. and leave at 4 a.m." No jobs, they feel warranted to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by sycloneman View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here but why wouldn't you feel "safe" posting pictures you've taken of the school?
    I don't feel safe becuase posting pictures of buildings and locations that are open or accessible brings foot traffic that may come through these places and destroy the buildings/locations further then they already are. I don't want to draw any attention to the locations in fear of other people exposing these places. There are scrappers out there that make a living on tearing these places up and stealing any metals that are left in the buidlings. There are also "urban explorers" that go into these places and don't seem to "respect" these historic locations.