Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Kresge Foundation to fund new Detroit arts fest

There's an important debutante arriving on the Detroit arts scene.

Following up on a program that has awarded more than $1 million to metro Detroit artists, the Kresge Foundation is set to unveil Art X Detroit, a five-day event that will showcase newly commissioned work by 39 fellowship recipients.

The event, free and open to the public, will run April 6-10 at a dozen Detroit locations, including the Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit, the Detroit Science Center and the Magic Stick.

The installations and performances will be led by Kresge's two Eminent Artist award recipients: visual artist Charles McGee -- whose new Midtown sculpture will be unveiled to kick off the event -- and jazz trumpeter Marcus Belgrave, who will play a three-concert career retrospective.
    http://www.freep.com/article/2011020...text|FRONTPAGE

sounds like a pretty cool event

Sounds great! Count me in

How much is the Walmart Foundation chipping in?

I like it! It is not structured like a typical art fair or festival. It will add a new kind of event to the local community.

Maybe... but it sounds more highbrow... at least the Festival of the Arts was a festival that was a family fun fair that you could take your kids to.

It is going to be a great event. I am participating [Kresge Fellow 2009] and am looking forward to the festivities!

Cool! I do miss the Festival of the arts, but year after year we were getting the same group of artists exhibiting. We need to mix it up.

Quote Originally Posted by hermousefriday View Post
    Cool! I do miss the Festival of the arts, but year after year we were getting the same group of artists exhibiting. We need to mix it up.
    That I will agree with... a lot of them are at the Ann Arbor fair and the Arts Beats and Eats.