Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Dice.com names Detroit fastest growing tech city

By: WXYZ.com Web Staff

[[WXYZ) - Step aside Silicon Valley, the tech industry is growing in Detroit.
    According to a report by Dice.com —a career website for technology and engineering professionals and companies in the US—Detroit is the fastest growing metro area in the industry. The study is based on the number of technology jobs posted by zip code on Dice.com in February 2011 vs. February 2010.

Rounding out the top five cities in the study are Cincinnati in second, showing 75% growth from last year, Cleveland, Columbus and Seattle.

The February Dice Report —which provides a current snapshot on the technology job market and is based on factors like salary, geography, skills and job demand—states there are 800 available tech positions in Detroit on any given day.

That statistic is double what it was in 2010. Detroit tech professional’s average salary is also up from last year, climbing two percent to $71,445.

Source: http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/money/job_fi...wing-tech-city

This all comes from the Auto industry over cutting their electronic/software engineers and now scrambling to hire them all back.

Mr. Houdini Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    This all comes from the Auto industry over cutting their electronic/software engineers and now scrambling to hire them all back.
    Hiring them back as contractors employed by a contract firm, that is.

1 to 2 is a 100% gain.
    anything can look great when expressed as a percentage-including the raise I got last year.

Woo hoo! 101% increase over the last year!
    Detroit tops the list with more than 800 available tech positions on any given day – that's double the number posted last year. Let's extend those two minutes of Detroit super bowl advertising goodness, by highlighting that technology professionals make on average $71,445 per year in the Motor City, up two percent from a year ago....

With demand improving in more metropolitan areas, the recovery starts to cement for technology professionals across the country.

Yeah, this is terrible news. How awful that companies are hiring tech people. What a shame...

Compuware plans job fair, 150 hires
    Melissa Burden / The Detroit News

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...air--150-hires

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Yeah, this is terrible news. How awful that companies are hiring tech people. What a shame...
    The car companies release these people and they end up working as contract workers making FAR LESS money and GREATLY REDUCED benefits, so yes this news does have a "terrible" aspect to it.

Would you like to do the same job as you do now, but for less money and fewer benefits?

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    The car companies release these people and they end up working as contract workers making FAR LESS money and GREATLY REDUCED benefits, so yes this news does have a "terrible" aspect to it.

Would you like to do the same job as you do now, but for less money and fewer benefits?
    Why not that is what they are trying to do to us state workers and no one seems to give a fuck about that.

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Why not that is what they are trying to do to us state workers and no one seems to give a fuck about that.
    Welcome to my world, private sector, that is. Except no is "trying", it already happened. Three years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Thames View Post
    Welcome to my world, private sector, that is. Except no is "trying", it already happened. Three years ago.
    It has already happened to us the last four years. In the way of furlough days, banked leave time and other contract concessions.

It has already happened to us the last four years. In the way of furlough days, banked leave time and other contract concessions.
    And add to that a caseload which has almost doubled the last 4 years from an already high 400 families to an unbearable 700 and growing. And I work in one of the counties with lower caseloads Wayne Counties caseloads are in the 1200's last I heard. So when you are doing the work of 2.5 to 3 people then you can bitch to me.

Did you seriously just quote yourself?

Hey now, quit cuttin into gumby

cut the social workers some slack. they're overworked, underpaid, and rarely appreciated.

some of the toughest stuff out there physically, spiritually.

We are all doing more and getting paid less. Do you wanna know where all the money from the 1990's went? Check Iraq and Afghanistan. What we didn't give away to politicians more corrupt than our own we wasted on things that go BOOM anyhow.

So, the tech jobs are good. I have a hard time believing that this is all from auto companies reworking their hiring practices. For god's sake a building that been vacant for at least 2 years right on Grand Circus is now occupied by a tech company, with a sweet white neon sign for that matter! Detroit has a lot of boring, low quality office space downtown open. You know who loves boring low quality office space? Giant computer drives and network servers that need very intelligent, and almost always young, people to maintain them.

so everyone chill out. were all hurting. pain is not a competition. we got a long way to go, but we'll get there.
    Last edited by socks_mahoney; February-10-11 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by socks_mahoney View Post
    Hey now, quit cuttin into gumby

cut the social workers some slack. they're overworked, underpaid, and rarely appreciated.

some of the toughest stuff out there physically, spiritually.
    Thanks socks you are all right. I am pretty sure hudkina was just messing with me but that Thames guy is just spewing more of what he has been told to by the right wing media. The attitude that it is a good idea to lower the standard of living in this country so the big corporations can make some more bucks and wall street bankers can get their million dollar bonuses is completely unaamerican. I have never seen people outright root for the demise of the middle class in this country.

This is really way off the original topic but it is great news that we are leading insomething good for a change around here.

So when you are doing the work of 2.5 to 3 people then you can bitch to me.
    Nobody is bitching to you gumby, quite the opposite.

that Thames guy is just spewing more of what he has been told to by the right wing media.
    Noooo, I didn't "spew" anything I was told by the "right wing media". I related what I was told by MY EMPLOYER and I'm certainly not bitching. I understand that my employer is just trying to keep the doors open in this fucked up economy and I'm glad I still have a place to go every morning. That doesn't mean I'm not sickened by the fact that I'm doing worse than I was five years ago.