Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit 300 city-wide block club meeting this Friday

I got a flier today in my door about the Detroit 300 holding the first annual city wide "block club" meeting. This board has been talking about them a good amount the past month or so. To me it seems, that the time may be ripe, but Malik Shabazz can be such a radical character. Is he leading this org, or is it more broad than I think? Anyone more familiar with it, or with what is going to be happening this Friday. Mayor Bing is supposed to be in attendance.

Good! When and where is it?

Friday, Febuary 11th. 5:30-8:30 pm.

Northwest Activity Center
    18100 W Meyers Rd
    Detroit, Mi 48221

Its also cosponsored by the Detroit Coalition Against Violence and United Communities of America. Wayne County Sherrif, DPD, and City Council members will also be there.

Flyer says "Learn proven methods to reduce crime in your community over night, Learn how to strengthen your block club and get more neighbors involved. For more info call 313 703 8318.

This is great - I give these ordinary citizens a ton of credit for standing up to violence.

As I understand it, Shabazz is the mouthpiece because he does have quite a bit of media expierience but Detroit 300 is much larger than just Shabazz.