Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default According to Bing No Hope for Detroit Statue

Dang, and he swore he would so honor me!

RoboCop was filmed in Dallas. Detroit should build an Axel Foley statue.

Oh thank goodness. For a minute there, I thought he was nixing Newdetroit's 60-foot Spirit of Detroit [[the one corrupt public officials are to be shoved into).

More seriously, wha? I gather some guy made a crack on the Opie & Anthony show [[dammit - thought they got kicked off radio for bad taste) about Detroit.

Cuz it deserves another look:

Pint-size Robocop takes to the streets of Detroit:

http://www.sweet-juniper.com/2010/10...e-all-cop.html

Robocop fans start looking for money
    Planners of Detroit statue to ask online

http://www.freep.com/article/20110210/NEWS01/102100546/0/OPINION01/Robocop-fans-start-looking-money?odyssey=nav|head

Quote Originally Posted by begingri View Post
    Robocop fans start looking for money
    Planners of Detroit statue to ask online

http://www.freep.com/article/20110210/NEWS01/102100546/0/OPINION01/Robocop-fans-start-looking-money?odyssey=nav|head
    This is ridiculous. They could spend that $80k on so many more worthwhile things. What would Robocop do?

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    What would Robocop do?
    Be vandalized.

This is ridiculous. They could spend that $80k on so many more worthwhile things. What would Robocop do?
    Couldn't agree more.

Honestly, I'd rather see a Kwame statue. Just imagine the degrading photo opportunities!

Maybe Nancy Allen will show up and yank the sheet off the statue.

That's the reaction I would expect to see. After all, Robocop takes place, per Wikipedia, "in a dystopian future, [[in which) the city of Detroit, Michigan is on the verge of collapse due to financial ruin and unchecked crime." Is irony the word?

That acknowledged, embrace it. It's happening. Over and done. No good car commercial goes unpunished.

The kickstarter project is here, and the related Facebook page has 3,741 people attending the "event" [[it looks like there's no real event, just a facebook page tied to fundraising for the kickstarter project).

They're looking for $50,000, according to the kickstarter page. The deadline is March 26th. Think they'll make it? I do.

As a good faith effort and to show regionalism we should place this statue in front of the Oakland County Executive Building.

On the Kickstarter site, it says the statue will have a view of MCS.

Specifically, the Imagination Station is offering a piece of its property on Roosevelt Park facing Michigan Central Station as Robocop's new home.
    Last edited by fryar; February-10-11 at 01:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    That's the reaction I would expect to see. After all, Robocop takes place, per Wikipedia, "in a dystopian future, [[in which) the city of Detroit, Michigan is on the verge of collapse due to financial ruin and unchecked crime." Is irony the word?

That acknowledged, embrace it. It's happening. Over and done. No good car commercial goes unpunished.

The kickstarter project is here, and the related Facebook page has 3,741 people attending the "event" [[it looks like there's no real event, just a facebook page tied to fundraising for the kickstarter project).

They're looking for $50,000, according to the kickstarter page. The deadline is March 26th. Think they'll make it? I do.
    Yeah, if America wants to pay for a tourist attraction in Detroit then God Bless America. Besides, they already know the city is broke, lol.

I'm not surprised that to RoboCop statue didn't pass, as other, more suitable statues are in the works... for instance, the Sonny Bono statue [[born in Detroit)...
    Name:  SonnyBonoStatueProposal.jpg
Views: 3385
Size:  38.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    As a good faith effort and to show regionalism we should place this statue in front of the Oakland County Executive Building.
    Yeah, playing a videotape of L. Brooks Patterson saying: "I had to kill Bob Morton because he made a mistake. Now it's time to erase that mistake."

As Bixby Snyder said: "I'd buy that for a dollar."

Name:  Bixby-Snyder_robocop.jpg
Views: 15480
Size:  31.5 KB

In the time it took me to post to this thread a few times [[and get my facts straight, and track down those websites I had been looking at, etc etc), the amount pledged has already gone up. It is now at $2,048, and I'm pretty sure it was below $2k even just a few minutes ago.

Robocop is a copyrighted property. $50,000 might be the cost to construct the thing, but what about the costs of getting the rights to do this? Any idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Pushtina View Post
    Robocop is a copyrighted property. $50,000 might be the cost to construct the thing, but what about the costs of getting the rights to do this? Any idea?
    You can get around such silly things by naming that statue officer Murphy.

Murphy, huh? Goes well with Corktown.

$3,609.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast