Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Nice MCS Piece on Wooster Collective

This was a nice little piece by three individuals in the Michigan Central Station. I hope you enjoy.......

http://woostercollective.com/

I found that to be a waste of time. Or at least the narrative and close ups of the hipster idiots.

Tell people useful information about it, not "oh we're documenting, blah blah blah"

Ah, my buddy George was in there, haven't seen him in years. Great artist, with paint and music.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    I found that to be a waste of time. Or at least the narrative and close ups of the hipster idiots.

Tell people useful information about it, not "oh we're documenting, blah blah blah"
    I agree 100% mcsdetroitfriend... at first I wasn't sure if these people were homeless, by the looks of their tattered clothing. What kind of statement were they making by dressing that way? Urban chic??

Although I did like the higher up views... it seems that this video was about self promotion... all those long still shots of them.

I agree totally as well....POINTLESS.....other than of course, self exposure. I wish people like this would stay out of our city and quit posting this sh*t because it just brings unneeded attention to the train station. When big brother [[or that f*ckin prick security wanna-be in the big silver truck) get a look at a post like this they will certainly keep trying to close up MCS, or even worse, tear it down. Let's quit posting this stuff before people with authority start to see this as more of a danger then it already is. Pretty soon someone will get hurt in MCS. Then none of us will ever get to enjoy the beauty ever again. If you [[or anyone you know) is getting into the MCS, more power to you, just keep it to yourself or your small circle, no need for worldwide exposure. Enough of the national attention already! Please stop promoting exploring in the train station!

Eeeeesh I give up. Last time I ever post anything relating to Detroit. So long buzzkills.......

Warsaw7.... don't give up so easily... there were awesome shots of the MCS top of building... but those 3 were being stupid.... especially for going up on the roof. Had one been killed... it would have made news all over....

Please continue to find newsworthy posts... we can be a cranky crowd... but it's not your fault...

Warsaw, lighten up. A lot of people on here are sick and tired of people grandstanding around with Detroit's ruins and blight, as you know, I'm sure.

It did seem like they were trying to make a genuine point about abandonment. Wearing some torn up pants seems strangely appropriate for that place, actually.

And it would be worthwhile to have it serve as a tourism destination, some kind of lesson is surely in there.

But the video was not exactly an in-depth discussion.

Those three sure like staring into the camera.

The look at me aspect of this video is pretty nauseating.

Die Hipster Scum

- Seen on a t-shirt at WSU

I thought they were trying to make a point by staring into the camera. So we could read off their faces how momentous the scale of this abandonment is, or something. I think that's well-intentioned, but without further explanation you just have shock value.

This video gives the project more context:

http://vimeo.com/18908348

I am not sure what these guys did that anyone else hasn't, and for that reason, I do not see the huge reason to critique them more than anyone else. They are far from the first people to suggest that MCS be a permanent ruin and I do not see how they are bringing about anything negative more than the other gaggle of photographers and urban explorers who have done different versions of the exact same thing.

I did think that whoever did the filming did a nice job with the camera work.

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw7 View Post
    Eeeeesh I give up. Last time I ever post anything relating to Detroit. So long buzzkills.......

It's got nothing to do with you man, the video just didn't do anything for me, sure it had some decent artsy [[and high quality) shots of MCS, but it didn't add any new information, nor did the people in the video come off that educated or involved with anything other than using MCS as a platform

Point taken.

Augustiner Guest

Says the guy who always cherry-picks his "useful information" to present Matty Moroun in the best possible light.

Quote Originally Posted by Augustiner View Post
    Says the guy who always cherry-picks his "useful information" to present Matty Moroun in the best possible light.
    Useful information? I only state what facts I'm given or know for fact. As for Matty Moroun, he's a shrewd business man I can't say I agree with how little he's done with the building, I'm staying out of the bridge argument because it's not relevant to me, but the MCS he purchased in 1995 had no fence or any door or occasional security to guard it. While DIBC hasn't shown much effort its better than the previous owner of the building.

Yeah warsaw....this has nothing against you at all, you simply just posted something that you liked or that you found interesting. No harm and no foul on your part at all. Please keep on blogging! As Gistok points out....I can definitely be "cranky" at times. I am sorry if I offended, but I am really just tired of people trying to get 30 seconds of fame or having to have an audience for everything, especially exploring/exploiting our city. Like Fryar said....I am tired of seeing places in Detroit [[especially MCS) being explored for everyone to see, mostly the authorities. I want people to enjoy the urban explorations, but there is no reason for exposure. For example, I have been in all the abandoned buildings this city has to offer but I rarely post pictures/videos because I want other people to enjoy it and I want to be able to go back into some of the buildings. If too many people give these places exposure, then the city will certainly do something about closing them up for good!

Quote Originally Posted by Islandman View Post
    This video gives the project more context:http://vimeo.com/18908348
    It does, thanks. A bunch of Danish Urban Studies students went to visit Detroit to learn some lessons about Urban Planing, and make a film in the process. One of the people that they interviewed was an artist who has been living in Detroit for the past 7 years, the previously referenced "homeless hipster" with the torn pants. He showed them MCS [[which perhaps is required seeing, or perhaps they asked him to, it is emblematic and well-known), but he also showed them some other things. He had them shoot the GM plant in Detroit where the Volt is apparently being built from a perspective that is on the other side of a disused railroad bridge, with the plant visible behind the bridge. The idea with that shot was to use "framing," like you might have in photography or filming, to frame an issue or aspect involving Detroit. What was linked to on here is basically an outtake of that larger project.

As an aside, the extended version of the opening of that video is a video recording out the front window of a People Mover train. Damn they did a nice job with that whole Ghettoland piece of the amusement park ride that is the PM, the Times Square area. The Transit Center looks really good.

...the MCS he purchased in 1995 had no fence or any door or occasional security to guard it.
    Seriously? What is this, Mayberry?
    [[said in jest) You people and your blue collar perspective. What you need are a few good lawyers so you know when to sue someone.