Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Fim Schools in Detroit?

My younger brother has expressed interest in going to film school; specifically on the operational side [[production – camera person ext..). He currently lives on the west side of the state [[St. Joseph/Benton Harbor), but wants to relocate to Detroit. That said; does anyone know if there is a film school or film production type program in Detroit city proper? I am aware of the College of Creative Studies and Wayne State, but it does not look like either have a program. Moreover, I looked at the school in Pontiac. However, he’d prefer to be in the city and so I thought I’d help him out.

I just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

If I am not mistaken there is a school in GR that has that, Grand Valley. WSU has a renowned theatre department, but I have not heard much about it for production work other than theatre management.

Grand Valley has a top-notched program. I've worked with some of its graduates.

On this side of the state, I'd have to say that Wayne State has the best film program. Students actually have two options - a film studies major in the English Department or in the Communications Department. English gives students more of a literary/theory emphasis, which is perfect for aspiring screenwriters, film critics, and those wanted to academic work. The Communications option does a lot more stuff that is hands on, production work.

More details about WSU's film program [[communications option, since that's the one that seems to fit your brother) at http://www.comm.wayne.edu/film.php

I have a production degree from Wayne State. if you want to go that route you need to look up the Media Production field in the Communications Department. Their main office is in the Manoogian Building.

I really appreciate all the feedback and hope to get him ready for the fall. Since he is disabled, it’s a bit different process, but the folks at Wayne State were very accommodating.