Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Incredible Detroit/Chrysler commercial - Super Bowl

I just about jumped off of my couch.
    For those of you who missed it, it was awesome, and I don't use that term much.
    It was a Chrysler commercial in the third quarter that included montage images of our fair city. It was beautifully shot, and was really a tribute by Chrysler to Detroit, I thought. There has to be a link to the commercial somewhere on the web. At the end, Eminem is inside the Fox Theatre and says, "This is the Motor City - this is what we do." Wow. I hope that was nationally televised and wasn't just shown locally.

Default FANTASTIC Chrysler commercial!

just ran on the Superbowl. Hits you in the gut.

I think it is awesome!

Yes, it did. Really well done.

I second that. it was awesome. Almost like they've been reading this board. For all of you in Detroit, yes, that was national, not some exercise in local pride.

Link [[courtesy of Chrysler.com)

I just saw it in FL. It was national.

You can tell from how we're all crashing this board, in the middle of the Super Bowl no less.

Moderator, please merge.

Yes, it was national. It was unexpected, too, which made it all the better. What a great commercial! I loved the "Imported From Detroit" tag line.

Doesn't anyone else think they are playing some kind of faux-pity card? I mean, Chrysler deliberately moved it's HQ out of the Detroit area and into another county...

It was pretty cool. I was a bit underwhelmed with the car, unfortunately. My emotional crescendo created by the images and music was interrupted by the "luxury" car that looked like a Town and Country minivan from the front. Besides that it was a great commercial, especially for those of us who want to take pride in Detroit and its auto industry past present and future; and for those of us who have renewed hope that more businesses and their employees will invest in Detroit.
    Last edited by mam2009; February-06-11 at 09:35 PM.

Chrysler deserves much praise for one FINE commercial.

Dang. We can embed Youtube videos?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHabitater View Post
    Doesn't anyone else think they are playing some kind of faux-pity card? I mean, Chrysler deliberately moved it's HQ out of the Detroit area and into another county...
    Nah. I preach regionalism. Besides, Auburn Hills is still Detroit to the rest of the world. Now Comerica, there's somebody who moved their HQ out of the Detroit area.

That commercial gave me chills. Totally, awesome.

Threadjack going to Detroit vs Suburbs in 5....4....3.....2.....1.......

Lets not forget the point, it was an awesome take on our collective region.

bartock Guest

It was a terrific commercial. I'd say the same thing if it was ostensibly plugging any other place. It was just very well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderpath View Post
    Threadjack going to Detroit vs Suburbs in 5....4....3.....2.....1.......

Lets not forget the point, it was an awesome take on our collective region.
    I didn't see a single shot of 'the region'

I just feel like Chrysler is trying to act like it has suffered from the loss of Tiger Stadium and the Fine arts building, but have they? Why didn't they show a vacant strip mall in oakland county if they wanted to emphasize the struggle they have gone through?

I'm also just not a fan of the 200. I feel like they missed the mark with sebring 3.0.

i guess i'm the skeptic

Vox Guest

I think those that knock the car should actually see it before reserving judgement. Typical Detroit bashing here otherwise. Pity my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    That commercial gave me chills. Totally, awesome.
    I agree. I work downtown and my building was in a couple shots. Whatever ad firm did that commercial is genius!

Talk about stirring emotions!

By far the best commercial

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHabitater View Post
    ................No.

I got texts from my friends all over the country telling me how much they loved it. Very very nice job.

Here's the take of Stuart Elliott, the New York Times reporter who covers the ad industry, and who was blogging about the ads. He worked at the Free Press in the 1980s. See his personal note about Detroit at the end:

The Chrysler 200 spot that just ran may have made Super Bowl ad history in that it filled an entire commercial pod, or break.
    The commercial boldly took issue with prevailing attitudes about Detroit and the cars it makes and featured Eminem in his second appearance in an ad in the game. [[The first was for Lipton Brisk.)
    The Chrysler Group played the spot's existence close to the vest; word that the company was going to devote its entire Super Bowl ad buy to one car and one spot did not begin circulating until Friday.
    The spot seems in the vein of President Barack Obama's "Win the future" initiative, with its insistence that "imported from Detroit," as the screen read at the end, is a virtue to be heralded rather than a fact to be concealed.
    Personal note, as someone who lived and worked in Detroit for three years, it was good to see support for the city expressed in so public a venue.

GUSHI Guest

It was sick, "Imported from Detroit"

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast