Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Grosse Pointe Farms vs Birmingham

We are looking at houses in both areas. Anyone know the real differences in these communities? We want an idea location for a family as well as minimal riff-raff around to make trouble.
    Any one have any specific opinions on either location?
    Last edited by jtactics; February-06-11 at 01:45 PM.

Depends. If you are "old money", you must settle in the Pointes.

If you are "new money", it's Birmingham for you, lad.

I was "no money", so it was always Detroit for me.............

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Depends. If you are "old money", you must settle in the Pointes.

If you are "new money", it's Birmingham for you, lad.

I was "no money", so it was always Detroit for me.............

LOL Ray, I'm with you. After all those years on the job your sense of humor is intact.

New money have something to prove, so it's hard to stomach more than 5 minutes of conversation with them. Of course, not everyone these days talks to neighbors, so that may not be an issue for you.

I vote GPF.

detroitjim Guest

Choose the place that leaves you with the shortest commute. Iffen theys bowf ekels den go wiff GPF.

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jtactics View Post
    We are looking at houses in both areas. Anyone know the real differences in these communities? We want an idea location for a family as well as minimal riff-raff around to make trouble.
    Any one have any specific opinions on either location?
    Well, I'm a card-carrying riff-raff and I've been known to make trouble when the occasion warrants, so, specific as my opinions might be, you probably aren't interested in hearing them.

Grosse Pointe Farms would be ideal if you love walking to the downtown district from your house. Grosse Pointe Farms has a small town feel to the community. Birmingham is good for the hustle and bustle crowds. Woodward, Old Woodward, and I think Maple are very busy districts. They add a big town feel to Birmingham's retail district. The community doesn't have that small town feel to it

I think the "old money" tag on GPF is a little out of date, to an extent. While there is plenty of second- and third-generation [[and beyond) wealth there, I know of several GPF families whose backgrounds are modest, and I'm sure they are not the only people in that demographic.

I think Birmingham would be the choice for anyone who is interested in even a slightly sophisticated living experience. GPF is lovely, and has the lake and a lakefront park, but B'ham has it beat when it comes to movies, shopping, population mix, stores, restaurants and acess to other interesting places, such as Ferndale and Royal Oak.

You really didn't give much detail. I guess look at the property taxes in each location.

There are five GP's the only one I really like is GPP. Definite riffraffe there. Much more fun

The cabbage patch, you know. The dreaded renters. I think I qualify as riffraff too. Schools are great, services superior, very small town attitude, great riverfront, lakefront parks

The old money concept is still quite true there.

Birmingham no clue

Augustiner Guest

NorthEndere Guest

As a proud Riff-Raff-American, I can say the feeling's mutual. lol

If you want an "idea" location and a place from which to innocluate oneself from poor-people cooties, either is a good choice.
    Last edited by NorthEndere; February-06-11 at 11:13 PM.

You either like the water and have to live near it, or you don't.

I'll take the water and its endless views.

Perhaps we should start a riff raff club. I hold my friends close to my heart and most qualify for membership. We be po folk in Detroit. I just like an edgier life style.

Did live in GPP for schools for our kids. So not making fun of you. Serious, great schools. Nice community.

Kids now, all grown and get to be riff raff again. Loving it!

The comment about water is appropriate. I can't live very far from it. I love the river views.

Ray, I think, I LOVE YOU! My husband of 35 years would most likely agree. Your posts are always on point. Thank you, an ex Detroiter who doesn't slam this city works in my world view.

I have lived in GPF for almost 10 years- we bought a little bungalow in the modest district up near Mack and really like it. You can walk anywhere, the schools are the best in the Pointes [[IMO), the library system ROCKS, and you'll never find a nicer park to hang out in in the summer- beaches, pools, etc. The property taxes are pretty low- of course that is because the housing values have dropped, but you definitely get your money's worth out of them. Free recycling, community events, and plowed streets and sidewalks.

There is some "old money" but I think middle class and young families are pretty much taking over at this point. Most of the people we know are like us- under 40, laid-back, young families, looking to get their kids in a good school district but still remain close to downtown. It does not feel suburban like Oakland county. Other people will have opinions on it, I am sure, but I am not from the Detroit area originally and I think it is pretty much one of the only spots outside of the city worth living in. The worst thing about it is its reputation- you say you live in Grosse Pointe Farms [[or any of them for that matter) and there is an instant ruffling of feathers with some people. There is a definite stereotype people have about the place that is really outdated.

Find a decent house in a decent neighborhood as close as possible to your work. The biggest downer to quality of life is the daily commute.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    You either like the water and have to live near it, or you don't.

I'll take the water and its endless views.
    That is exactly what the decision hinges on, in my opinion. Both areas have high taxes, both areas are wealthy, both areas are within 10 minutes of each other as far as how far they are from downtown. My advice to the person considering is to do lunch in Birmingham one day and walk around downtown Birm. Then, drive 20 minutes east/south east and take Vernier to Jefferson, Jefferson/Vernier down to Cadieux. Weigh the Birmingham walk against the Jefferson [[Lakeshore) drive, and consider that the Lakeshore drive can be a walk also. The Village and The Hill certainly do not compare with Birmingham, but have their own charm.

Better parks in the Pointes, better shopping and social interaction in Bham. Your commute should be the deciding factor since both communities have outstanding school systems and attentive public services. I do believe that the Pointes have a tad more charm do to it's housing stock, yet Bham can out-quaint most places in America.

Some find the Pointes dedication to the English Tudor style is a bit slavish, while others find it cohesive and substantive. Bham style can veer into trendy and as a wise man once said, "...nothing looks older faster then that which is modern today."

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Find a decent house in a decent neighborhood as close as possible to your work. The biggest downer to quality of life is the daily commute.
    What he said. Don't be a slave to the commute.

It's kind of the old eastside westside conversation. Honest, don't know anything about B'ham, go to the theaters there occaisionally. Got a parking ticket there once. Didn't know you have to feed the meter after 6:00pm.

Do know the Pointes much better. Was at a party in the Shores and some "old" money dame told me my outfit was three years out of fashion. Thought that a bit rude, but since I am an advid resale shopper, no doubt she was right. Couldn't care less. I like retro [[as in the Thirties) clothes too. I wear what I like.

Do let us know where you choose to buy. Both communities have lots to offer. I lean to the pointes but then it is what I know

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    What he said. Don't be a slave to the commute.
    Couldn't agree more. A long commute is daily torture. Twice a day.

One of the things I like about GPF is it is not flat. There's "the Hill"... and I don't just mean the shopping district. The Detroit area is so flat, that GPF is a refreshing change. And also, you get the breezes off the lake. This is only a guess, but I bet the air quality is better in GPF than in most of metro Detroit.

Also... dollar for dollar, I believe you'll get more bang for your buck house wise in GPF than in Birmingham.

I am now hearing gpf is discreet and racist and birmingham is elite and snobbish. Are these big stereo types? What are the city issues for each?

Quote Originally Posted by jtactics View Post
    I am now hearing gpf is discreet and racist and birmingham is elite and snobbish. Are these big stereo types? What are the city issues for each?
    No neither of those is true... it's just some folks perception. It may have been that way some years ago, but things have changed... people of color do live in GPF... and there's parts of both cities that are middle class... so take that perception with a grain of salt. Of course, if you are cruising thru GPF in a clunker of a car... you may get pulled over by the GPF police. And make sure your headlights and tail lights are in working order in both towns... they will issue tickets.

One other thing about GPF... you don't have as much traffic going thru your town as Birmingham does. Lately Birmingham has seen a lot of out-of-towners who "hang out" on the commercial strips on the weekend.

gdogslim Guest

There were less than a couple dozen armed robberies in the Pointes last year, not too bad.
    You didn't say where you will be working. Birmingslam has good schools.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast