Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gordie Howe International Bridge

Heard this on the news this morning as a name being mentioned for the new span. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Heard this on the news this morning as a name being mentioned for the new span. I like it.
    Having it called the Gordie Howe Bridge is about as likely as having it called the Wayne Gretzky Bridge. It's not gonna happen. He has nothing to do with the political history of Canada. There are a lot of people out there that are not hockey fans who would be opposed to it. And from those that are hockey fans, not all Gordie Howe fans.

If they are going to hand out naming rights, they're gonna charge big bucks for it like most public buildings. Since Canada is footing the bill, it'll probably be called something like the Canada Peace Bridge, The Freedom Bridge, Tecumseh-General Brock Bridge, Stephen Harper Bridge or something like that.

Meh......I dunno. I do like it, can't deny his greatness, but isn't there someone more born and raised local we could name it after if it's to be named after someone?

I also like

"The Over-dieu Bridge"

or the

"How the eff do ya like that, Matt? International crossing"

I wish I wasn't so tired. I'd try and actually think of a real name instead of being a sarcastic turd. lol

sorry.

How about the Captain Jolly Bridge/Le Pont Captain Jolly?

They should name it, simply "Suck it Matty"

I don't know why Gov. Snyder is so opposed to the informal name already bestowed
    upon the project. The "Detroit River International Crossing"
    D.R.I.C. for short.....It's an International crossing...Detroit River...?????
    Anyway...although I realize Gordie Howe was a great Hockey player, and a Canadian...
    There were many great players/people/Canadians in the past.
    I think the Canadians should name the Bridge. They are probably gonna pay for it,
    if all goes well.
    I am officially AGAINST the International Bridge Company, and M. Maroun and family.
    They're so sure, so smug.
    I watched the Channel 7 interview Friday evening with Matt Maroun.
    He creeps me out with his arrogance and smug confidence, that things will go their way.
    I hope this doesn't mean Channel 7 is on their side [[Maroun's).
    That would be unwise.

DetroitDad Guest

I just assumed the naming rights would be sold to the highest bid by an international corporation. Maybe name it The Golden Arches, or Tampax International Crossing, depending on design.

Sorry, I have to express sarcasm, making fun of corporate naming rights. Naming rights totally eliminate emotional ties with a place, for me at least I felt more connected with Tiger Stadium or the Silverdome, than I do with Comerica Park or Ford Field. The former were part of Metro Detroit, the later are part of Comerica Bank and Ford Corporation.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; February-05-11 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I just assumed the naming rights would sold to the highest bid by an international corporation. Maybe name it The Golden Arches, or Tampax International Crossing, depending on design.

Sorry, I have to express sarcasm, making fun of corporate naming rights.
    If they sell naming rights, I'm guessing Dan Gilbert would be the first runner up to buy an option to call it the Quicken Loans Bridge.

I like D.R.I.C., but my money is on it being informally referred to and the downriver bridge; the Ambassador would then be called the upriver bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    I like D.R.I.C., but my money is on it being informally referred to and the downriver bridge; the Ambassador would then be called the upriver bridge.
    Heh! Quite right; rather like on Grosse Isle....the free bridge and the toll bridge.

Anyway, thank God Coleman Young isn't still around, or you know darn well what the name would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    How about the Captain Jolly Bridge/Le Pont Captain Jolly?
    Sounds good to me.

Gordie Howe symbolically works perfectly on a Canada - US level. What a gentleman and great person that touched both sides of the border. I think it would be a great choice but sale of naming rights is too lucrative.

As for Coleman Young it got me to thinking that instead of the DRIC it could be the MFIC.

Personally, I like the name Ambassador Bridge. I think the new span should take on THAT name. Let Matty name HIS bridge after himself!

Matty's son was interviewed on 7 News last night and after a meeting with Snyder, which seems to have not swayed the new Guv, he indicated that they could provide the 500 million the Guv would get for Canada if the oppisition would be only reasonable and give in. He than said the property at the foot of Green Street is owned by one of the family companies and was not for sale and litigation on that issue might delay the project for years. In the meantime, a enviromental minister from Canada reinforced that he could not envision Matty's new bridge ever getting approval from the Province of Ontario or the National Canadian govt and without mentioning Buffalo, mentioned that it would be best to move on this before other locations became viable.

This whole argument seems insane to me. Canada won't allow Matty to build his bridge into downtown Windsor. Wouldn't this seem like a bit of a problem for him if they won't clear the land for his new bridge!? Canada is spending a ton of money to extend the freeway right to the point where the DRIC is going to cross. I understand that any shrewd business person wouldn't give in without a fight, but come on already. Enough is enough. The only way I'd let him build his bridge is if he completely rehabs the train depot as part of the deal. Now wouldn't that be nice????

He had plenty of opportunity to rehab the MCD. He is a proven scofflaw whether for violations on the MCD, seizing land he does not own to build on without permission, giving the finger to the state on building out the gateway project to the point where his underling is arrested and on and on.

But forget that. The biggest issue is that the crossing is a national security issue for both countries. Destruction of the crossing made vulnerable by being in one location would be an economic disaster whose cost would surpass that of building a new bridge.

It is game over for him and he is simply stalling for the longer the DRIC is stalled the more money he makes from his poorly maintained relic, illegal duty free shop and monopoly rates. Competition will reduce fees, increase business growth and economic security.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    I just assumed the naming rights would sold to the highest bid by an international corporation. Maybe name it The Golden Arches, or Tampax International Crossing, depending on design.

Sorry, I have to express sarcasm, making fun of corporate naming rights. Naming rights totally eliminate emotional ties with a place, for me at least I felt more connected with Tiger Stadium or the Silverdome, than I do with Comerica Park or Ford Field. The former were part of Metro Detroit, the former are part of Comerica Bank and Ford Corporation.

Tiger Stadium was originally Navin Field after the team owner. When he sold the team to Walter Briggs, it became Briggs Stadium [[fter the owner, not the factory). I still refer to it as Briggs Stadium. Is Ford Field named after the owner or the corporation?

Wrigley Field
    Comiskey Park
    Griffith Stadium
    Briggs Stadium
    Shibe Park
    Shea Stadium
    Forbes Field
    Crosley Field

All named after team owners.

Keep it simple, name it the Michigan-Ontario Bridge, or Detroit-Windsor Bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Is Ford Field named after the owner or the corporation?
    Judging from the gigantic FMC logo on top of the stadium, I would safely assume the corporation itself.

Yes Ford Corp. did pay for the naming rights to Ford Field... but it was a win win for the William Clay Ford's [[Sr. & Jr.)... since the family name got on the stadium anyway.

I like '' Freedom Bridge '' as a name , it would honor both nations , our longtime International Freedom Festival between our Nations , and would most definately honor Canada for providing a safe haven for runaway slaves via the underground railroad

muskie1 Guest

By time this bridge is completed the majority of people who remember Gordie Howe will be dead. Just another bunch of motorists will wonder "who the hell is that". I think this project is destined for the same flawless and efficient execution that the Zilwaukee bridge recieved.
    Last edited by muskie1; February-05-11 at 07:33 PM.

Wingnatic, I like the name you suggested for the bridge and your reasoning for it.

People, having a "second" bridge is not a real safeguard. If they try to blow up one they will try to get the second one also. But just having the second one so Matty can sit and "burn" about it is almost enough of a reason to build it.

Since we are going to name the bridge after an athlete, why not Bob Probert? From Windsor, played in Detroit, it makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
    Since we are going to name the bridge after an athlete, why not Bob Probert? From Windsor, played in Detroit, it makes sense!
    Lol^ not the bridge but maybe the tunnel?

"Probert's career hit a snag in 1989 when he was arrested for cocaine possession while crossing the Detroit-Windsor border. U.S. Customs agents at the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel found 14 grams of cocaine hidden in Probert's underpants. Source"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast