Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Munger Middle School

Hey team.....Munger Middle School is being torn down right now. About half of the building is gone! I dont understand why the necessity and urgency of tearing down this building [[and Earhart) when they were just recently abandoned. There are so many more buildings in Detroit that are far more dangerous and f*cked up! Whats really going on?

pics?..where is it located?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob66 View Post
    Hey team.....Munger Middle School is being torn down right now. About half of the building is gone! I dont understand why the necessity and urgency of tearing down this building [[and Earhart) when they were just recently abandoned. There are so many more buildings in Detroit that are far more dangerous and f*cked up! Whats really going on?
    I wondered the same when the building was named as one of the most urgent for demolition.
    Probably had more asbestos than most and getting more $$$ for the contractor.
    Indeed, Munger's building was in use until 2-3 years ago. Actually, most classes were held in the adjacent Chadsey building after the merger. Chadsey was on the 1st round of closures. It was 'res cued' after community outcry, and merged with the middle school.

1/2 the classes I had at Chadsey were in the Munger bldg, in early 70's Chadsey was too overcrowded.
    I'll miss the landmarks at that corner. But sure won't miss that dreaded tunnel between Chadsey and Munger. Hope that was the 1st to go.

Munger is on the SW Corner of McGraw and Martin, about 1/4 mile North of Michigan.
    Last edited by econ expat; February-05-11 at 09:19 AM.

The pics are coming soon....as they are on my girlfriends cpu! I will try to post tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob66 View Post

Awe, that really stinks! That was my school. I am looking forward to seeing the photos. By the way, Munger is on Martin and McGraw.

Quote Originally Posted by econ expat View Post
    I wondered the same when the building was named as one of the most urgent for demolition.
    Probably had more asbestos than most and getting more $$$ for the contractor.
    Indeed, Munger's building was in use until 2-3 years ago. Actually, most classes were held in the adjacent Chadsey building after the merger. Chadsey was on the 1st round of closures. It was 'res cued' after community outcry, and merged with the middle school.

1/2 the classes I had at Chadsey were in the Munger bldg, in early 70's Chadsey was too overcrowded.
    I'll miss the landmarks at that corner. But sure won't miss that dreaded tunnel between Chadsey and Munger. Hope that was the 1st to go.

Munger is on the SW Corner of McGraw and Martin, about 1/4 mile North of Michigan.
    I went to Munger in the 70s. The tunnel was for taking a quick smoke between classes.

I also attended Munger and Chadsey in the 70s. A new Munger is going to be built.

http://dpsschoolconstruction.org/mun...k-to-8-school/

Still looking for the photos of Munger--did you post them elsewhere, detroitbob66?

Graduated from Chadsey in '72. Hated that tunnel!!!!!

Graduated from Chadsey in '73. Hated that tunnel!!!!!

When I went by this weekend Munger was basically gone.

I took these early last fall, I think:

Ohhh yeah....I almost forgot, but I will get them up ASAP
    Detroit Urbex may have some outside shots, but Ill show you the inside!
    Such as the library, gym, etc.

As an aside to former Munger students...anyone from Munger have Mr. Pavia as a teacher? Frank Pavia is a friend of mine and he often mentions his days at Munger teaching science.

I went to Murphy Middle School in Detroit in the mid 60's and had Mr. Pavia. He seemed a bit crazy, but lots of fun, as I remember!