Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 1st St. and Michigan Avenue

There is no need for a traffic light at this intersection with 1st barricaded as it has been for years.

I am sure pedestrians would disagree. Thousands work in the areas Federal and AT&T buildings which are located at that corner.

What may work would be a different signal type such as the Hawk Signals that are used for pedestrian traffic by Wayne State.

I'm often both a pedestrian and a motorist at that intersection. I agree that well-implemented pedestrian areas have multiple places to cross, but there's already a 7-tp-9-lane road flanked by parking lots and garages on each side in a superblock configuration between 1st and 3rd.

I'm not sure I entirely understand how HAWK signals work after reading the linked article, but how about keeping the light green on Michigan unless a pedestrian presses a crosswalk button? This is very satisfying as implemented in Ferndale, in my opinion.

Of course, what REALLY should happen is Michigan should be narrowed, 1st should be reopened and returned to two-way traffic, two-to-five story new urbanist infill should replace the parking, Abbot Street should be restored, and under the pedestrian walk buttons there should be another button where you get five dollars every time you press it.

Hawk signals stay dark until activated by a pedestrian. Once activated the yellow flashes for a few seconds then the red phase begins. Itsmostly used for mid-block crossings, but in the case of Michigan it could work well and reduce dely on Michigan.

Then yes! That's a good idea. That should be what is there.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph C. Krause View Post
    There is no need for a traffic light at this intersection with 1st barricaded as it has been for years.
    Well you have two alternatives, pedestrian right of ways or stop signs, take your pick. Cause last time I checked alot of people[[myself included) cross the street there going to work.

I talked to an engineer/technician with MDOT when they were doing signal work at Michigan and Cass about six months ago. He said they had recommended removal of the old signals at 1st/Mich [[due to age mostly) but that the council had not approved it yet. They are probably studying the feasability of HAWK at this intersection. In recent weeks the city has finally removed over 15 signal installations around Detroit that have been in flash or dark for 8 years or more. the money may be finally coming in for these projects......or just finally being used properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph C. Krause View Post
    Of course, what REALLY should happen is Michigan should be narrowed, 1st should be reopened and returned to two-way traffic,
    I think you're kind of joking, but I agree. First should be reopened. However, I doubt that it ever will be. As I remember, it was closed off after the OK City bombing and will probably stay that way for generations.

To use a phrase from an Al Franken book, I'm "kidding on the square." That means I'm sounding like I'm joking but saying what I really mean. Of course our city should be a proper city by eliminating those suburban elements, but because of the scale of what needs to be repaired, I think that the focus should be in compact areas and not everything-at-once. So fix the signal, and then keep filling in the places that already have something good going on.

I agree that is a pretty useless light. First Street is a one way going north so there really is no need for a traffic light right there. There is also a light at Grand River and First which makes more sense than the one at Michigan and First. The reason that First Street is barricaded south of Michigan is because of the Federal Building being located right there, the same reason Abbott Street is barricaded. The mine as well barricaded Cass as well since that runs right next to the Federal Building as well.

I was about to make a sarcastic comment about Cass making the building just as vulnerable as having barricaded nothing, but the barricades actually do provide an even buffer all the way around. since the plaza on the East/Cass side provides a buffer.

There sure is a hell of a lot of room for new development on that side of downtown. If a developer ever wanted a nearly clean slate to put in urban, mixed-use buildings, fine-grained infill on the West side of downtown would feel like a whole new city had been added to the existing one. When I walk past that huge expanse of nothing I picture four-floor townhouses and storefronts with awnings instead of gravel lots. Also I picture Porter and Abbott Streets going all the way through. And the plaze and gated entrance at the IRS being replaced by buildings as well.

Seriously. We could fit an incredible amount of stuff in the CBD.

If Detroit would get off being stuck in the 1960's and actually build a mass transit system there wouldn't be as much of a need for parking downtown which would eliminate the gravel lots that are used for parking lots. Those gravel lots then could be used for urban development, like you said it would be like awhole new city on the west side of downtown. That has to be some prime real estate.