Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Which famous rock 'n rollers hail from Detroit?

Apart from its rappers and noted Motown acts, which rockers started in Detroit? Bob Seger was from Ann Arbor, but what about Iggy Pop? The Stooges? The MC5?

Mustn't forget Jack Scott...

Vox Guest

Jack Scott was born in Windsor, raised in Hazel Park.

Glenn Frey [[The Eagles) dated my aunt in the 60s. That's my claim to rock and roll fame.

Iggy was from Ypsilanti.....Ted Nugent was born in Detroit and then moved to Jackson

lilpup Guest

What? No mention of Suzi Quatro?

Last edited by lilpup; February-05-11 at 09:51 AM.

Alice Cooper was born in Allen Park.

Hank Ballard and The Midnighters, they're important..
    Jackie Wilson..
    Sonny Bono was born in Detroit, lived there until about age 6..

Haven't we done this thread a couple of times?

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    Apart from its rappers and noted Motown acts, which rockers started in Detroit? Bob Seger was from Ann Arbor, but what about Iggy Pop? The Stooges? The MC5?
    I guess it depends on what you mean by "started in Detroit."

James Gurley was from Detroit, but I don't know if you would say he started here.

Bill Haley was born in Highland Park. Does he count?
    How about Mitch Ryder.
    The Rockets
    The Romantics.
    Joni Mitchell lived in Detroit in 1965
    Not Detroit but close:
    Grand Funk Railroad
    ? and the Mysterians

By "started in Detroit" I kinda meant born and raised, stuck around, didn't go elsewhere to make music or find fame.

Joni Mitchell was widely acclaimed but I could never get into her brand of music, from what I've heard of it.

Some of the other stuff [[Bil Haley was cited as an example) is too "before my time". Thanks for the replies.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
    By "started in Detroit" I kinda meant born and raised, stuck around, didn't go elsewhere to make music or find fame.

Joni Mitchell was widely acclaimed but I could never get into her brand of music, from what I've heard of it.

Some of the other stuff [[Bil Haley was cited as an example) is too "before my time". Thanks for the replies.
    Then Jack White will hands down be the best known rock n' roller who started in Detroit. Leaving for Nashville after all of his success and being in his 30s still qualifies as "started in Detroit" imo.