Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Cadieux Cafe: Is it the BOMB?!?!

I'm new to the whole Detroit scene. Is Cadieux Cafe sweet or just a dive bar with feather ball?

Wow ment to say BOMB... my bad

What's wrong with dive bars?

anyone with [[[[[ written on their forehead is asked to leave.

You might want to check the makeup mirror in your TransAm before going.

I like dive bars. Just wanted to know what kind of bar it was.

i think its [[[[[[, but i like it! wish i had a trans am...

I love the Cadeiux, I wouldn't say its a dive bar... Decent food, watching the league Thursday nights is great and they can have some decent music.

Cadieux is a hangout bar, not a dive, more of a restaurant. It's not a place to pick up women, although there are young ladies there, it's more of a casual place to hang with friends. It's a Belgian hangout too, with traditional food and imported beer, and of course feather bowling. The crowd is mostly people in their late 20s and up...all kinds of people. The music leans toward rock and roll, but they have some live jazz as well. Live music 2-4 nights a week, I think they have pub quiz and karaoke too.

I really like it there, but I kind of grew up there and I'm a good Belgian girl, so I'm biased, ha. Bring friends and feather bowl.

Ha sounds like you work there. Nice promotion. Your in advertising right?

Thanks for the info peeps. Love this website!

Cadieux Cafe is one of the last ethnic vestiges of that former Belgian neighborhood on Detroit's far east side... and held in high regard by many on this forum.

Melody is no shill for Cadieux Cafe... just one of many who enjoy the unique atmosphere of the place...

Although Small's Bar in Hamtramck brings the best in local and national talent to Hamtramck, as well as providing a stellar environment for neighborhood drinking and socializing seven days a week, the Cadieux Cafe is nice, too.

Thank you Gistok for "defending" the Cadieux Cafe. Aside from Feather Bowling and Mussels, in season, it is indeed a sweet carry over of Belgium tradition. I even remember when they raced birds. There was a hutch on the back of the bar.

My favorite memory of that bar though, was very personal. We lived near there and the drinking age was dropped to 18. My Dad, invited me for a walk and we somehow ended up there. He wasn't much for drinking but we each got a shell of Altes. He waxed poetic on how wonderful his wife [[my Mom was)! I wish I could have taped his comments. Dad is long gone and Mom is close to 90. He was a WWII veteran and not too sweet as a result. The things he said that day can still make me cry. I just wish he had told her how much he appreciated and loved her.

I've only been to Cadieux Cafe a couple times now, but their steamed muscles are great. Also where I discovered my love for Lambic.

Being gone from Detroit since 1982, I miss places like Cadieux Cafe. Been there for years, used to frequent it quite a bit. Great neighborhood place where people of all ages mixed and got along. Miss true ethnic places like that - nothing like it in Nashville.

Cadieux Cafe is a good time on most occasions.

If thers is a big/younger crowd in there for a band, it may get a little smokey. Well, a lot smokey, but that is the only drawback it would have.

They even keep a security guard in the lot to watch the cars while you're inside.

Many good times at the 'Dieux.

BTW- if you can't pronounce and spell Cadieux, you're not invited.

diver1369 Guest

I was at the Cadieux Cafe last Tuesday for a birthday party. I had roast beef dinner and it was OK. Snacked on some mussels later which were very good. There's a rule of thumb about mussels only being in season for any month with the letter R in it, September-April. Did some feather bowling and left just as that night's entertainment was starting up, big band music. The Cadieux has the feel of a neighborhood bar with photos of Belgian-American sports heroes on the walls. I looked for photos of my relatives, who were Belgian floor bowlers and pigeon racers, but they never played at or out of the Cadieux Cafe.

Quote Originally Posted by mclark View Post
    I've only been to Cadieux Cafe a couple times now, but their steamed muscles are great. Also where I discovered my love for Lambic.
    mclark, that is mussels,
    I think you want to go to Hooters for muscles. wait I digress

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    mclark, that is mussels,
    I think you want to go to Hooters for muscles. wait I digress
    Yeah, that was a stupid mistake.

It's a great place, but if you're on a budget I'd recommend Elam's on Harper and Chester.

Cadieux is nice....not in the best location though.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Take that with a grain of salt. The Cadieux/Mack area is pretty decent.

Anyone out there know the name of the Belgian statue of the boy?

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    Anyone out there know the name of the Belgian statue of the boy?
    Mannekin Pis.

And, why wouldn't I remember that? The father of my best buddy back then came from Belgium and they had one in their dining room. Made for some interesting conversations.

Penisaurous Pisis

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Ummmm, it's on Cadieux, where should it be?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast