Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Purtain and Washburn

Grew up on Puritan and Washburn in the early 60s. There was a corner store that was also a soda shop were we could buy candy, model cars and airplanes. Does anyone remember that store and the owner name, I think that it was Harry.
    Also there was a bakery run by a very nice old lady with white hair near Cherrylawn. We would stop there on our way to school in the AM. Does anyone remember?

Aviator_cew...I think the bakery you're talking about was called Scandanavian Pastry Shop or Scandanavian Bakery. You must have attended Post and/or Fitzgerald in those days. Puritan was littered with dozens of neighborhood stores back then, after school I used to spend my bus fare in those stores on chips, cookies and pop and walk home instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Aviator_cew...I think the bakery you're talking about was called Scandanavian Pastry Shop or Scandanavian Bakery. You must have attended Post and/or Fitzgerald in those days. Puritan was littered with dozens of neighborhood stores back then, after school I used to spend my bus fare in those stores on chips, cookies and pop and walk home instead.
    Yes, I attended both Fitzgerald and Post and I would spend all my lunch money at those stores.
    It was a beautiful neighborhood in those days. I attended Fitzgerald in 63, what about you. I remember Mrs Hess, Mrs Carter and the gym teacher Mr, Saybol [[I'm sure that not how you spell his name) head of the safety patrol.

I didn't attend Fitzgerald, but I was at Post in '65. I lived east of Livernois near Uof D, so most of the places I remember passing on Puritan were between Greenlawn and Livernois.

The Scandinavian Pastry Shop on the corner of Puritan Ave. Between James Couzens St and Wyoming St. is long gone and so is the building. The rest of the mom and pop stores deteriorated after the white flight to the suburbs. The community was mostly Jewish from 1950s to late 1970s and became full blown black from the 1960s to the present. The neighborhood is well kept up brick colonials, bungalows and dutch hip family flats filled with mostly middle income blacks. There are a few low-income black families renting those homes there.