Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Buy American Guest

Default Incentives for cops moving back to detroit

I'm surprised that no one has commented on this yet. Thoughts?

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20110202-wpms#

DetroitPole Guest

If Bing can convince even a few cops to move to the city, more power to them. The city's biggest problem over the past 50 years has ultimately been population loss [[middle-class population loss at that) and if this helps change that, then great.

There are quite a few really beautiful but vacant houses in my neighborhood that I could see someone with a little incentive want to snap up. It would be great to replace that plywood with drapes.

Others have objected in the past to subjecting cops to the troubles of the 'hood. Frankly I don't care that they're cops - any good person that has steady job and isn't involved in shady dealings is welcome in my neighborhood. Cops, firefighters, accountants, plumbers, mail carriers, dog whisperers, whatever - anybody but these losers who fucking sit around all day just waiting to cause trouble.

Mind you this won't be a requirement, so nobody is forced to take it.

Buy American Guest

I am wondering if this will make a difference in the hiring process at the Police Department as of Monday. If a potential recruit is asked if he/she would be willing to move into Detroit and the recruit says absolutely not, would that sway the commanders during an interview?

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    I am wondering if this will make a difference in the hiring process at the Police Department as of Monday. If a potential recruit is asked if he/she would be willing to move into Detroit and the recruit says absolutely not, would that sway the commanders during an interview?
    I imagine it would be a turn off for the city... I mean if someone can't believe enough in the cause they are working for to live in an area they protect, then to me that would sound like they don't believe in their own ability. It would be better if we could get them to live in their own precinct.

I'm not sure the city can require a recruit to live in the city, but they may offer preference to those who do. Many municipalities do this, and it's not just police. If the city can find a qualified resident and qualified non-resident, they should be able to choose to hire the resident in the event that they use such criteria as a tie-breaker.

Before I begin, let me just say that I'm glad to see that Fox 2 Detroit's comments section provides a hospitable environment for all of those commenters now being moderated over at the Freep.

This should play no part in hiring decisions. None. Beyond the mention of it as a potential benefit, in the same brochure as medical insurance and vacation days, don't even address it until they are hired. That only defeats the purpose of the project.

If this mysterious proposal can indeed effect that more DPD officers live in Detroit, that is a great thing. I don think they have a negligible effect on the perception of safety. Maybe they're getting free houses?

There was a massive run for the border when Engler struck down residency requirements. I grew up and went to school with a bunch of cops and firemen. They all lived within close proximity to me. Once the requirement was lifted, they were nearly all gone.

Donuts.Free donuts.

I guess Commander Davis would be swayed by "donuts?"

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    There was a massive run for the border when Engler struck down residency requirements. I grew up and went to school with a bunch of cops and firemen. They all lived within close proximity to me. Once the requirement was lifted, they were nearly all gone.
    And how many of them owned houses in Detroit where only their mail lived, and they lived somewhere else? The requirement to live in the city may have been in place, but it wasn't enforced with anything to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post

Your not kidding there. I bought my first house in the Moross/Harper area which was home to half the police force as well as numerous firemen. When Engler and the Repubs in Lansing changed a law that had been in existence for almost 100 years, my neighborhood changed almost overnight. Suddenly, what was once a stable area is now littered with many boarded up and abandoned houses.

I've always bee of the belief that certain jobs should have residency requirements. If you are a congressman, you should have to live in your district because it gives you a steak in the community. The same should be said of city employees. If you don't want to live in that particular city, then don't apply.

Quote Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
    And how many of them owned houses in Detroit where only their mail lived, and they lived somewhere else? The requirement to live in the city may have been in place, but it wasn't enforced with anything to back it up.
    Surprisingly most lived within the confines of the City Limits and sent thier kids to catholic schools. Remember, we were all raised within the City and not there just for a paycheck. This is where our network was, our parents, grandparents, friends, classmates. The lifting of the residency caused it all to unravel.

The truth is that many qualified candidates have life partners [[usually wives) and children that are afraid to live in the city. They are afraid of retribution and afraid of raising their children in dysfunctional neighborhoods. As a result, requiring police officers to live in the city will eliminate high-quality candidates who don't want to choose between their marriages and their jobs.

This is not unreasonable. Police officers make enemies. If they didn't - would they be doing their jobs?

Let their families have some peace.

Lizanne's comment that residency wasn't enforced is dead wrong. The DPD had active surveillance and reporting and dismissal of suspect officers and it caused so much distrust and contempt - it was a shame and expensive too.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lizaanne View Post
    That may have been true of a very few but the majority of City workers lived within the confines of the City. I for one was one of those 30 year residents while on the job...AND it was enforced at the highest levels for some. SWAMP is correct about surveillance and reporting those who didn't live in the City. A disgruntled suburban neighbor would turn in an officer or a firefighter or a civil service clerk in a heartbeat. Specific groups were specifically targeted and closely watched and there was zero tolerance for moving out of Detroit.

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    The truth is that many qualified candidates have life partners [[usually wives) and children that are afraid to live in the city. They are afraid of retribution and afraid of raising their children in dysfunctional neighborhoods. As a result, requiring police officers to live in the city will eliminate high-quality candidates who don't want to choose between their marriages and their jobs.

This is not unreasonable. Police officers make enemies. If they didn't - would they be doing their jobs?

Let their families have some peace.

Lizanne's comment that residency wasn't enforced is dead wrong. The DPD had active surveillance and reporting and dismissal of suspect officers and it caused so much distrust and contempt - it was a shame and expensive too.
    Well, good thing nobody is talking about residency requirements then.

Wait a minute, I'm confused. The incentive is a steak? That might not cut it.

Buy American Guest

http://www.freep.com/article/2011020...living-Detroit

"Warfield said having officers in neighborhoods would allow them to help neighbors learn how to keep safe."

Keep safe??? Officers shouldn't have to teach residents of Detroit anything. Parents need to teach their children to be law-abiding citizens, to be responsible for their actions, to avoid gangs and stay within the law. Is Bing and Warfield out of their minds? Police personnel don't want the thugs, drug czars, rapists, gangs to know where they live because of retribution. Bing needs to clean up Detroit, to rid itself of the high crime and get services up and running again; clean up schools. Residents of Detroit pay huge amounts in taxes, get nothing for it. Maybe once the City is habitable again, officers, as well as many others, will come

Augustiner Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    http://www.freep.com/article/2011020...living-Detroit

"Warfield said having officers in neighborhoods would allow them to help neighbors learn how to keep safe."

Keep safe??? Officers shouldn't have to teach residents of Detroit anything. Parents need to teach their children to be law-abiding citizens, to be responsible for their actions, to avoid gangs and stay within the law. Is Bing and Warfield out of their minds? Police personnel don't want the thugs, drug czars, rapists, gangs to know where they live because of retribution. Bing needs to clean up Detroit, to rid itself of the high crime and get services up and running again; clean up schools. Residents of Detroit pay huge amounts in taxes, get nothing for it. Maybe once the City is habitable again, officers, as well as many others, will come
    Your comments, as a great DYesser once said, are NON-SEQUITUR.

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    Wait a minute, I'm confused. The incentive is a steak? That might not cut it.
    There ain't nothing wrong with having a steak in the community. It supports businesses that have a stake in the community.

I had a steak in my community tonight.