Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

DetroitDad Guest

Default Amazing Baltimore Ruins

Perlman Place, in Baltimore. Demolition, the start of an urban prairie, has begun on this particular street. If you turn the camera 180 degrees and look directly behind you, you will see why this street was demolished. One has to wonder why demolition is the goto in this country, over preservation and restoration.

Link to an amazing Google Streetview of Perlman Place.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; February-03-11 at 12:07 AM.

^ Geographically challenged.

I heard about that place DetroitDad. I think it's tragic it's gone, but what can you do? BTW, have you ever watched the Wire? There was a location in the series called "Hamsterdam" where they legalized drug activity. The neighborhood where this was filmed was accidentally demolished prematurely before they were done filming. Same kind of vibe of Perlman Place. Tight streets with rowhouses.

Wow, I didn't really expect to see people living in any of these places. Do you think those people in the process of moving out? At either end are "warning: entering construction site" signs. Too bad, those looked like they could have been fine places at one time.
    Am I crazy or is there virtually no other type of housing in Baltimore? lol I mean, I know there is but WOW! I'd hate to see a fire get out of control.
    This is also the first time I've seen "satellite" be more up to date than "streetview"...and oddly a few are still standing. Maybe the ones that were occupied were left alone?
    Last edited by Magnatomicflux; February-03-11 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    Am I crazy or is there virtually no other type of housing in Baltimore? lol I mean, I know there is but WOW! I'd hate to see a fire get out of control.
    Thankfully, we've learned a thing or two since the 18th century. Masonry is noncombustible.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    This is also the first time I've seen "satellite" be more up to date than "streetview"...and oddly a few are still standing. Maybe the ones that were occupied were left alone?
    A fire wouldn't spread between buildings because of the heavy masonry fire separation [[like 2' thick) and fire stops on the cornices. Obviously this is why entire rows have stood for over a century. A few are still occupied.

DetroitDad Guest

I will have to check that out Wolverine. I am not sure I have ever seen it.

These are the type of housing developments I would love to move into for a starter home, here in Detroit [[Detroit Mom likes them too). My own opinion is that these would do well here, because that type of housing is so rare, yet cheap and convenient. I wonder if other cities wish they could have some of the urban single family or duplex style homes that are so uniquely abundant, and thus taken for granted, in the City of Detroit.

There are a lot of really good houses in there and many have kept their famous marble stoops. The more cities manage to promote rehabs, the more character they keep, the more they will add value. There is abandonment but you can tell that most of these streets have been in pretty good shape for a long time. Baltimore has a lot of character. I noticed Cincinnatti also has great old row house stock. Many main streets have abandoned old federal style triplexes that could easily be refitted.
    Last edited by canuck; February-04-11 at 01:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    Thankfully, we've learned a thing or two since the 18th century. Masonry is noncombustible.
    I understand that much gp, lol. In my apartment building c. 1928, when a unit catches fire we always have a good amount of time for the FD to show because of the plaster walls and ceilings, and the hallway walls are concrete under plaster. All help to contain the fire. But it only lasts so long.
    I know this is a bit different, but wouldn't radiant heat eventually start to ignite the roofing matterials of the other units? I think I remember building design or something along those lines being your profession, so I'm interested in whatever you can tell me.

What's the difference between those row houses and these below?

Name:  tt_20101111_local_rankin_fi_500.jpg
Views: 2682
Size:  45.1 KB

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10316...localstate.xml

http://hoopieworld.com/wp2/past-inci...burgh-01052007

This link shows an entire row burned. It talks about a shared open attic, and how a 5/8 barrier of dry wall could have prevented it. Is that the only difference, no attics? Why wouldn't the walls between units be brick or concrete?

Are there no universal building codes for all rowhouses?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Magnatomicflux; February-04-11 at 01:56 AM.