Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Wayne County Port Authority Terminal

Does anyone knows when the Port Authority Terminal will open. It has taken almost five years to construct. Are there going to be shops in the terminal also?

Not sure, I've been watching them build it for going on 4 years. The port authority building itself is basically done. When I walked by in the fall, the interior was partially finished. As far as the dock itself, they have been inserting the pilings for I want to say at least 6 months. It seems like they work 6 days a week as well. A few days ago, I watched a tugboat push the floating platform with the red crane on it back up the river, so now there is just the larger black crane. I'm thinking they must be trying to have it done by spring. It will be able to to dock cruise ships, lake-liners, tall ships, and other large boats right at the Riverwalk. Pretty neat.

That is a good sign. Can't wait for the hot summer when it is open causing more hustle and bustle along the riverwalk. Now if only a shop that would sell items such as skates, rollerblades, skateboards, and running shoes opens on the riverwalk somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    That is a good sign. Can't wait for the hot summer when it is open causing more hustle and bustle along the riverwalk. Now if only a shop that would sell items such as skates, rollerblades, skateboards, and running shoes opens on the riverwalk somewhere
    No skateboards, though. I've seen security throw kids out of the park for skateboarding numerous times. For some reason rollerskates are okay. I asked a security guard once why they allowed one and not the other, and he said that skateboard wheels damage the brickwork. Somehow, I think it has more to do with keeping up appearances. Stick to the man!

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    No skateboards, though. I've seen security throw kids out of the park for skateboarding numerous times. For some reason rollerskates are okay. I asked a security guard once why they allowed one and not the other, and he said that skateboard wheels damage the brickwork. Somehow, I think it has more to do with keeping up appearances. Stick to the man!
    Skateboard wheels don't ruin the bricks. The only reason boarders get prohibited in nearly any public area is because when a skate boarder wipes out or falls chances are the board is going to keep rolling. People worry that this will injure someone else.

When biking or blading, the object you are on comes to a stop when you do.

While I like this project I doubt the success. Another project that opens to much hoopla only to slowly die. The Princess will probably dock there just to make it look good. As far as shops go look at the Ren Cen...

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    While I like this project I doubt the success. Another project that opens to much hoopla only to slowly die. The Princess will probably dock there just to make it look good. As far as shops go look at the Ren Cen...
    As far as I know, the Princess will probably not be docking there. I think they have an agreement to moor a their present location on the Riverwalk, which is convenient because cars can drop off in that area off Civic Center Drive.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    Skateboard wheels don't ruin the bricks. The only reason boarders get prohibited in nearly any public area is because when a skate boarder wipes out or falls chances are the board is going to keep rolling. People worry that this will injure someone else.

When biking or blading, the object you are on comes to a stop when you do.
    I skateboard to work, so I've checked with municipalities on this to avoid getting tickets, but basically private property owners discourage it because they fear groups will linger in plazas and grind up the railings and benches. Just one session can destroy a plaza's appearance. I have much more respect considering I work on the design for these places and my experiences skateboarding, I know how to design them to discourage it! Laws can be unusual, vary greatly city to city. Here in the Chi, skateboarders are required to stay on the sidewalks, and dismount and use "prudent judgement" when pedestrians concentrations are too great. But it's illegal to board in the streets unless you have a longboard. Most cities the law is completely the opposite.

As for the Port Authority terminal. More construction on a specific building [[landside) is on the way that has not started yet. You'll find out soon. So work is definitely not done yet, though I'm surprised there hasn't been some sort of soft opening on the terminal yet.

Does anyone know if a specific place has been set aside for a future W/D ferry?

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    I would put it between Joe Louis Arena and the Riverfront apartments where there is a small inlet for the main docks. This benifets people coming to Detroit with the people mover station near by to give access to the rest of downtown. Those going to Windsor can park in the Joe Louis parking structure. The ground floor of parking structure was designed for a future commuter rail station that could make this area a major transit hub for downriver and western suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    The future is now.

I'm a little foggy on some details and the entire backstory, but the reason why the dock isn't completed - and will not be done for awhile - has to do with sub-standard electricity. Currently they only have standard 240 volt house current but they need an industrial strength power drop to actually run the place. IIRC they have been getting their power from a temp hookup at the cop station next door and from on-site generators.

Again, I'm foggy on the details here, but they planned to bring in power from the Ford Auditorium, but for some reason either the City won't allow them access to it, or there is a physical reason why getting power across the street is problematic.

White Construction was/is the general contractor and they ran into problems with the city due to the race of the workers, plus a Bernard/Kwame donation deficit.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    As for the Port Authority terminal. More construction on a specific building [[landside) is on the way that has not started yet. You'll find out soon. So work is definitely not done yet, though I'm surprised there hasn't been some sort of soft opening on the terminal yet.
    Yeah, I just noticed that there are no longer any construction cranes out there.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    What are these ferries going to be used for? Please tell me that they are going to shuttle people across the river, because that would be awesome.

I KNOW they are planning on using some vertical wind 'turbines' for at least SOME part of this project.

My best friend from high school has been working with them on at least light poles for the parking lot that will be self-powered...but the same firm makes a 10kWh industrial generator with cloth 'sails' that would exactly compliment the other cloth-sculpted structures on the Riverfront.

This firm is also trying to get the size and cost down...aiming for 1 to 3 kWh units for residential use. The big ones are about $40k, and they wanted to sell the home units for between $3 and 5k. I haven't talked with him about this in a while...but have checked continually to see when the light poles would be installed.

I drive by there as often as I can actually...glad to see that the drive from the RenCen all the way to Chene Park is open again.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    What are these ferries going to be used for? Please tell me that they are going to shuttle people across the river, because that would be awesome.
    Actually they are old NASA space shuttles for people wanting to use the Port to go into outer space. Actually the rationale is to provide some additional ways for workers to get across. Many workers may live in Detroit, but work in Canadian auto plants. Conversely, medical workers would be able to use the ferries and the Woodward line to get to jobs at DMC or HFH. Ferries might also be employed to provide transit along the Jefferson Corridor.

Actually they are old NASA space shuttles for people wanting to use the Port to go into outer space. Actually the rationale is to provide some additional ways for workers to get across. Many workers may live in Detroit, but work in Canadian auto plants. Conversely, medical workers would be able to use the ferries and the Woodward line to get to jobs at DMC or HFH. Ferries might also be employed to provide transit along the Jefferson Corridor.
    Haha. I'm just hoping that it will improve pedestrian mobility and traffic between Detroit and Windsor. It would be nice to be able to go to Windsor for the evening and visa-versa without having to drive, especially if one will be boozing.

You know, Detroit is closer to Windsor than Manhattan is to Brooklyn.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I'm a little foggy on some details and the entire backstory, but the reason why the dock isn't completed - and will not be done for awhile - has to do with sub-standard electricity. Currently they only have standard 240 volt house current but they need an industrial strength power drop to actually run the place. IIRC they have been getting their power from a temp hookup at the cop station next door and from on-site generators.

Again, I'm foggy on the details here, but they planned to bring in power from the Ford Auditorium, but for some reason either the City won't allow them access to it, or there is a physical reason why getting power across the street is problematic.

White Construction was/is the general contractor and they ran into problems with the city due to the race of the workers, plus a Bernard/Kwame donation deficit.
    I hope that race or the Kilpatricks are not delaying the completion of this project. Let's get this thing finish and worry about hiring more people of different races on the next project

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Why all the hush-hush?

From what I've heard, Ford Auditorium demolition is scheduled to start in March.

NorthEndere Guest

I can't believe I hadn't heard of this. How long has this been in the works, and did the dailies ever report on it?

Can't knock down the Ford Auditorium without a review for impacts and as far as I know, that hasn't been completed yet.