Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default White Stripes call it quits

http://www.freep.com/article/2011020...text|FRONTPAGE

Hard to believe it's been more than 10 years since the days of the Gold Dollar shows and eight since the DIA show at the Rivera Court. The band gave me many great memories and was the height of Detroit music in MY lifetime. While it was sad he left Detroit, he's continued to say nice things about the Motor City and has done swell moves such as the fencing for Clark Park.

Thoughts? Memories of the red-and-white duo?

That's too bad. As much as I would have liked to hear a new album or two, it's kind of nice they went out on top and didn't hang around churning out lousy music like so many once great bands do.

Hopefully Jack will keep turning out music with his other bands and maybe Meg and her husband will crank out a few albums like his parents did.

I'm looking forward to the reunion show.

White Stripes and Strokes at Chene Park...I think it was 2004. Good times!

eight since the DIA show at the Rivera Court
    I wasn't a huge fan, but I did enjoy that show.

August 8th 2002-clutch cargo's Pontiac & August 9th 2002-Chene Park....both great bands. Stripes headlined in Detroit, and Strokes headlined in NYC when they played together.

I saw the White Stripes at the Magic Bag in '98[[?) supporting the Pretty Things. Fell in love with the drummer.

Quote Originally Posted by dover627 View Post
    Megs sister took me to that show. I had a couple too many pops and fell asleep, talk about being rude.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dover627 View Post
    I was at that show. It was great, although their subsequent stop [[after releasing Get Behind Me Satan) at the Masonic was incredible. Obviously the acoustics at the Masonic are several times better than Chene Park's, but it was just a SHOW. Greenhorne opened up for them; of course, members of both became the Racounteurs. I hope Jack White continues to be as prolific as he's been. Live, he's something to see.

oh man now jack white only has 9 other bands to write and perform with

Nice PR move. Jack sure knows how to keep his name in the news. It's obvious that they've been broken up since that nasty sex tape incident.

Not surprised really.

Jack's been busy. He moved to Nashville and started up Third Man Records, The Raconteurs, and The Dead Weather. He became a successful producer and vinyl record mogul. He performed solo at the White House for Paul McCartney's Library of Congress Gershwin award show. He performed with Conan on Conan's first TBS show.

Meg has stayed in Detroit and has been rather invisible aside from the White Stripes performance on Conan's final show before he took the temporary Tonight Show gig.

They put out one record since Jack relocated, but distance is difficult and to think it was a sustainable model for them like that might have been naive.

Jack will continue to be a busy guy with Third Man and producing, and other projects. But Meg seems to be settling into retirement.

Nothing to feel sorry about for either of them.

Too many White Stripes memories to mention - all of them good.

Here's a good article that appeared in the Nashville Scene recently. It's the same article that the local papers cherry picked from a little while back - and slanted a little too much towards the "he left Detroit" BS that we seem to obsess over in these parts.

This interview with Jack is one of the more rounded pieces I've seen - a lot of good info in there.

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashvi...ream-interview

I was at the [[first) Masonic show too [[they played consecutive nights, as I recall). One of the best shows I've ever seen- Jack White is a dynamo on stage. I'm sad mostly because I'll never be able to see him in that context again, although I plan to see the Raconteurs whenever they hit town again.

Megs sister Heather used to play volleyball with us on Fourth St. in Detroit.
    Meg and Jack came by once and played a couple of games. This was just as they were getting started, nobody knew them, but they were nice, and we were friends
    with Heather, so it was cool to meet her sister. Meg was always a really nice girl
    every time I saw her. Heather later on that summer helped me book bands for the
    'Positively Fourth Street Fair'.....and 'The White Stripes' played for us, thanks
    to sister Heather.
    Simply put.....They fucking rocked!!!!!
    "BRING BACK THE FOURTH STREET FAIR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I heard that they actually gave it up because they never could find a bass player.

"You know, after awhile, it just sounded a little thin," Jack said.

Quote Originally Posted by RedeemerKid View Post
    Not surprised really.

Jack's been busy. He moved to Nashville and started up Third Man Records, The Raconteurs, and The Dead Weather. He became a successful producer and vinyl record mogul. He performed solo at the White House for Paul McCartney's Library of Congress Gershwin award show. He performed with Conan on Conan's first TBS show.

Meg has stayed in Detroit and has been rather invisible aside from the White Stripes performance on Conan's final show before he took the temporary Tonight Show gig.

They put out one record since Jack relocated, but distance is difficult and to think it was a sustainable model for them like that might have been naive.

Jack will continue to be a busy guy with Third Man and producing, and other projects. But Meg seems to be settling into retirement.

Nothing to feel sorry about for either of them.
    They came, they played great music, had an impact, hopefully made a heap of money and stashed it away. I couldn't be happier for them. I'd much rather have them call it quits as opposed to churning out horrific albums later and losing their dedicated fan base. They went out on a good note and maybe sometime down the road, they might re-from for some very special, near and dear projects that they deem worthy.

I had a few minor dealings with them too, they are both great folks. I wish them both great success! Ooops, they already have that, well, great continuing personal success too.

Thanks for the loving article on the White Stripes and their English fans. The White Stripes were fans of the music they played and the musicians they admired. I experienced that when Arthur Lee of the 60s band Love, played the Magic Stick in 2003. I was among the diehard fans who stood at stage front to get as close to the music as we could. Up on stage, Wendy Case of the Paybacks and Meg White in white go-go boots were dancing and bumping hips with Arthur Lee while Jack stood behind me.
    Last edited by eno; February-04-11 at 11:57 PM.

From the Guardian article:

"Yesterday, however, fans registered their dismay in countless threads on the internet, while others went shopping – according to Amazon, the White Stripes' 2010 live album and documentary Under Great White Northern Lights have seen an increase in sales of 2,644% on the site."

The boy knows what he has to do to keep making cheese. Great way to take the fans to the bank.