Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mopeds in Detroit?

I heard that there are a couple mechanics looking to open a moped/scooter shop in Midtown. Is this crazy? I can't say I've seen anyone riding around where I live in Corktown... Either way, any business is good business, and I wish them success. But does it sound viable to even think about mopeds in Detroit?

I remember when I was 15 I wanted a moped so bad, and my dad told me to wait till I was 16. I waited and ended up getting a car instead.

I haven't seen any mopeds around Detroit. I think its just too dangerous, and then you got to watch where you park it so someone doesn't steal it.

I am an active bicyclist, motorcyclist, and scooterist [[Vespa GTS 250 and Symba - Honda cub replica- currently). For years, I've been trying to convince scooter and moped dealers that their natural constituency are the folks in midtown/new center/downtown, and adjacent area. I relieve believe that a moped / scooter shop in Midtown is a no-brainer. Fellow scooterists will rally around a new shop in the City!!!

Toolbox Guest

Any scooter shop to open would have to be an independant shop selling used and Indian and Chinese scooters. Piaggio/Vespa and Aprillia already have East and West side dealers and were not interested in opening a Detoir dealer.

All of the scooter people I know have been around since the early 80's from the CanAm SC days. They thought I was crazy for dailying my 52 Lammy.

I missed the moped. The only scooter that could be used as a bicycle when the gas is running low. I think the moped was much safer than these little crouch rockets and miniature motor bikes that the kids are riding

Back in the fifties, a lot of 16 and 17 yr olds had the Cushman motor scooters [[with the engine under the seat and the gearshift lever sticking out of the rear fender sheetmetal.

I love the scooter that was out in the 80s. It was in a commercial being promoted by Grace Jones and Adam Ant or whatever his name was. It came in different colors

This is a somewhat ironic subject in view of today's weather but maybe a moped would work today in some situations where cars wouldn't.

One thing that appeals to me about mopeds is the ability to go where 4-wheelers or larger 2-wheelers can't go. In my Peace Corps days in Swaziland I had a 50cc Suzuki which, while not technically a moped, was about the size of one. It allowed me to go off-road and follow the countless cattle paths to discover places of immense beauty and solitude. For example: http://bhere.com/swazi

I love the obtion of using it as a bicycle eventhough a rider would get tired trying to pedal it a long distance.

The Cushman scooter. They also used the rear end of the scooter to power icecream trucks in a tricycle configuration
    Last edited by Hermod; February-02-11 at 10:49 AM.

muskie1 Guest

i think mopeds are ideal urban transport. The problems I see using them downtown would be drivers who do not even bother stopping for some of the traffic lights and signs down there and secure parking. Does any one know if the Dodge dealer that closed on Mich. ave in Dearborn is still making a go of selling them at his old location?

On the eastside of Michigan, across from the dealership, there is a Vespa showroom.

Default Cushman

Hermod is right, Cushman is where its at, as a Cushman owner I can be seen tooling around downriver as often as possible. This is from my ride to Indianapolis.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I knew a guy who lived in my building [[downtown) who rode a scooter around. It made a lot of sense - he could keep it in his apartment, like others did with their bike.

He must have been the only Detroiter without a driverś license.

But aside from that snark, it made sense. Youŕe just exposed to the weather is all. But itś very low-cost, low overhead. Well, no overhead, har har.
    Last edited by fryar; February-02-11 at 12:23 PM.

i have a 500cc piaggo and currently take it to ypsilanti to Scoot around town for any maintenence. i live downtown and would love for someone reputable to open a shop. i would take my business there.

They are so common over here, they are almost a nuisance...

Some souped up scooters are used for racing.

I'm sure I've never seen a Cushman in the Netherlands. That thing would turn heads around here.

My wife and I ride or 125cc Genuine Buddy around downtown. It's great for quick trips to Honey Bee, Eastern Market, and Belle Isle. We don't use it over the winter though doesn't handle all that great in the snow

Back in the early 80's, Suzuki made a "full sized" 50cc motorcycle that was licensed as a moped out here. The thing would do about 50, got 90 mpg, and was the ideal urban vheicle. My wife and I rode ours nearly everywhere. I've graduated to a CB900C and my wife has a 250 Rebel [[wish Honda still made the 400cc version), but out here we're seeing a lot of Kymco scooters and small bikes.

http://www.kymco.com/

Due to some health issues over the past couple of years, the 900 has gotten a little big [[top heavy) for me, and there's a good chance I'll get a scooter next year, that is if you can call a Suzuki Burgman 400 a "scooter".

http://moto.suzuki.ca/Product%20Line...egory=scooters

I like the idea of a scooter my wife and I can double up on that has enough luggage space for an overnighter.

In the early to mid 80s a lot of kids had the red Honda Elite scooters. The "ballers" rode the Honda Helix.

The Electrics have been breaking out for the past several years, but there is a clear lack of retail outlets in the Detroit area. Gas engines are nice, but I still would go electric.

Attachment 8741

Attachment 8740

That's likely the road I would have gone down, although I likely would have just stuck one of those electric hub motors on my existing bike. Those designs are less understated than my usual "utilitarian" look [[or perhaps utilitarian "look"?).

Anyway, then you just plug it in in the apartment - beautiful. I may not have a spangly new smartphone, but my bike would be a converged device. Anybody have any experience with hub motors on bicycles, just out of curiosity?
    Last edited by fryar; February-03-11 at 05:29 AM.

I hate to admit it, but you can order an entry level electric "hub" bike through Wal-Mart for less than $400. The detachable battery is all you have to take inside to recharge.
    Schwinn has some nice electrics, but the price needs to come down for me to even entertain the thought.

I am concerned about the safety of these things... they really are not fast enough [[are they?) for the freeway like the stupid crotch-rockets are. Soooo, will they be tooling around in the far right lane of the surface streets along with the people in wheel chairs and non-chalant pedestrians [[who blatantly refuse to use the side walks)? That will be great... just great! Are mopeds compatible with today's mania driving in the city and suburbs??
    Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I missed the moped. The only scooter that could be used as a bicycle when the gas is running low. I think the moped was much safer than these little crouch rockets and miniature motor bikes that the kids are riding
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-03-11 at 06:17 AM.

No they're not, but anyone who would buy a true moped or small scooter to use on the freeway probably buys a Leaf for a cross country trip. Most little scooters will do about 35 mph and are urban vheicles only.

Mopeds and little scooters aren't designed for freeway travel. But the theory that you need a "stupid crotch rocket" to commute is bunk, also. I think the ideal commuter bike would be something between 250 and 400 cc. They'll travel freeway speeds and still get you good gas milage.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast