Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Grim Forcast Shuts Down Michigan Senate

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/02/...#comment-17282

this floors me... hypocrites.

Great way to start a new term Gov!! NOT one inch has fallen. But 'hey' all the REST of you GET TO WORK, risk your car, your life, other lives on our half assed, no salted, crappy roads.

Our representatives have to commute from all over the state, from the Ohio border to the far reaches of the U.P. Expecting them to do so during what most likely will be the largest snow storm we have seen in over a decade is not reasonable. I just wish they were this proactive in the rest of their decisions !

They could easily stay in the Lansing area, sheltering up in one of the local hotel rooms, eat locally and still be in town work on our budget issues. They would be spending some of their exorbitant compensation back in the community of Lansing.

Another suggestion would be to dock their pay and traveling expenses for booting outta town. It really sends a message to those folks who will have to work tomorrow, no matter what; some of the same folks these fat bastards are talking about cutting their pay. Another idea is to have them make up these "snow days" by having them work on their "traditional" day/s off.
    Last edited by Baselinepunk; February-01-11 at 07:04 PM.

After my recent experience with this storm, I'd say this highly reasonable. That said, "the rest of us" do have options...work from home, take a vacation day, sick day, come into work a little later, work later the rest of the days this weeks instead of working tomorrow. Even if you work hourly at retail or restaurants many of those places will be closed in bad weather. I think pretty much of all us are getting an optional day off if you are in direct path of the storm.
    Last edited by wolverine; February-01-11 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    They could easily stay in the Lansing area, sheltering up in one of the local hotel rooms, eat locally and still be in town work on our budget issues. They would be spending some of their exorbitant compensation back in the community of Lansing.

Another suggestion would be to dock their pay and traveling expenses for booting outta town. It really sends a message to those folks who will have to work tomorrow, no matter what; some of the same folks these fat bastards are talking about cutting their pay. Another idea is to have them make up these "snow days" by having them work on their "traditional" day/s off.
    I agree with you on docking pay or at least requiring them to make time up btw.

Thanks. If it's good for the school system, it should be good enough for our "leadership".

What about that new Gov? Is he taking a day off, too? How many pennies can we get back into the coffers by docking all of them who don't show up for work? Every penny counts!

DetroitDad Guest

Actually, many of my friends and family have had work cancelled if snow reaches 8-10 inches [[depending on where they work). Many Downtown Detroit offices will be closed, schools/colleges, non-essential government centers, as will many doctor's offices and any non-essential medical related businesses. It is being requested that non-vital employees stay home, by most businesses.

Utility, mail, and safety workers will still likely have to report to work, along with people who's employers have no concern for their employees safety and well being. Many businesses, government agencies, schools, and other event closures are being reported on WWJ Newsradio 950's Storm Center.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post

So you would prefer the State pay for their trip to Lansing, meals and multiple day hotel stays all so the reps can sit around in their hotel rooms and do paperwork