Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    DetroitDad Guest

Default Rosa Parks Transit Center Getting Her Canopy

They're putting it up as we speak. I'll take some pictures after work tonight.

Jeez. What'd it take, 2 years to put up a three-story building and some outdoor canopies?

I sure as heck hope the city doesn't plan to se this same contractor ever again.
    Last edited by artds; May-12-09 at 02:27 PM.

Cooooool. Those canopies were contracted for $5.5M. I wonder how long they're gonna take to get all of em up? It's quite a lot...

What is the function of the canopies? Decoration or do they have an actual purpose?

Also, is this only a DDOT bus terminal, or will it serve coach buses as well?

What I want to know is this:

Who was the bonehead who didn't consider connecting the BUS TERMINAL to the PEOPLE MOVER?!

I think its pretty much right next to the People Mover's Times Square and Michigan stops.

That is true, but I just think that if I were to design something of that sort, I would physically connect it to the DPM. It will be Detroit's main bus terminal, so it could potentially be busy - but maybe that's just the urban planner talking.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    What is the function of the canopies? Decoration or do they have an actual purpose?

Also, is this only a DDOT bus terminal, or will it serve coach buses as well?
    In addition to their aesthetic value, I think their purpose is to keep rain/snow/sun rays off of the passengers while they're waiting for and boarding the buses

Quote Originally Posted by andylinn View Post
    That is true, but I just think that if I were to design something of that sort, I would physically connect it to the DPM. It will be Detroit's main bus terminal, so it could potentially be busy - but maybe that's just the urban planner talking.
    There is an advantage to the terminal being adjacent to - but not physically connected to the DPM - and that's that it encourages people to walk a few feet. Pedestrian traffic - even for short sections - is good, in my opinion.

I don't think you could find a site that would be a better link to the DPM than where they put this. Yes it would be better if both buildings were connected, but that would mean building the bus terminal building on the same side as the DPM. A site that big does not exist.

In addition, the placement of the new bus terminal helps to better define the space for buses as opposed to pedestrians and creates a wall along Cass that is needed.

I think it's ugly, frankly.

I sure hope these aren't the same type of canopies that were put on top of the Phoenix Amphitheater in Pontiac...ho ho ho...

Arrrr Mateys! What scallywag shall we get to swap der' decks!?

:P

Its not bad looking, i'm all for buildings with a little synthetic character.

Retroit Guest

7 Marylin Monroes standing over subway vents.

DDOT's web site, when it's working, has a pdf file with information about the transition from Capitol Park to RPTC. Essentially, all DDOT buses currently serving Capitol Park will serve RPTC when it opens, and most buses which operated a block east of Capitol Park will have their routes adjusted so they operate a block east of RPTC. In addition, though I haven't seen details, all downtown SMART buses will serve RPTC, plus of course the Transit Windsor Tunnel Bus and the nearby DPM.

Now all we need is to improve the frequency of the buses and maybe add a smattering of rapid transit, and we're getting somewhere!

dexterferry Guest

now when can we finally give capitol park a good powerwashing?

DetroitDad Guest

More recent pictures I took about an hour ago:

Attachment 1169

Attachment 1170

Attachment 1171

Attachment 1172
    Last edited by DetroitDad; May-13-09 at 09:20 AM.

You mean the new Sonic is getting a canopy

gravitymachine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KingRex View Post
    Thanks, Dad. Your shots make a nice counter-point to the aerial shots on the other forum.
    4 pictures versus 19 pages of pictures, yeah, hell of a counter point

warm ice cream topping!
    Last edited by gravitymachine; May-14-09 at 07:34 AM.

whoa!! this is the mysterious, vanishing post thread!

I swear there were like 12 more posts and a lot more pics throughout the thread yesterday.

There's no mystery.... They mentioned the words that will not be spoken.

Went by it this morning to check it out, it is already shredded! I think the contractor has some 'splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by andylinn View Post
    What I want to know is this:

Who was the bonehead who didn't consider connecting the BUS TERMINAL to the PEOPLE MOVER?!

Don't forget, the people mover isn't operated by DDOT.

detmich Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Went by it this morning to check it out, it is already shredded! I think the contractor has some 'splaining to do!
    That's a snow relief hole.

I still think they would have been much better off to spend a few extra bucks and build an actual hard roof for this structure. I really like the look of these canopies now, but they are in essence a temporary structure within a permanent one. In not too many years of sitting out in the weather and being exposed to constant bus exhaust they will look dirty and worn. In order to keep the place looking decent the city will have to spring for maintenance, cleaning, and eventually replacement canopies.

Given the city's track record with such things I'm not betting on that happening, so some years from now we will have another shabby embarrassing eyesore on our hands. Something that could have been prevented by spending a bit more now. That is, if the canopy structure even survives our windy, snowy weather, which, lets face it, is never going to be too kind to soft structures of this type.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast