Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The "I'm a Believer" Detroit Promotional Campaign

Okay, I've seen the commercials several times now, and I have to say, how are those supposed to get people interested in getting involved in Detroit?

Without debating the merits of a Detroit ad campaign, could they have made these commercials a little more engaging? I like the fact that they brought a diverse group of people into the mix, but who is this commercial convincing?

They should be showcasing local entrepreneurs and people that stand out amongst the crowd. They could have highlighted a young restaurateur, a retired couple renovating a house in West Village, a local artist, a musician, a local merchant. People with talents bringing life back to Detroit. Feature the cleanup of Roosevelt Park or Spaulding Court. The "I'm a Believer" commercial is so drab. There's no pictures in the background. The music is barely lukewarm. There are no examples of current developments. It's just bland and uninteresting.

So, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0m-5-eChjw

If it were up to me, I would make a video that was somewhere between the current "I'm a Believer" commercial and this video below, incorporating the things I said above:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu_zwdmz0hE

Talk is cheap. Let's see what happens when the rubber hits the road with real projects getting off the drawing board.
    Had to control myseslf from laughing when I saw Brooks Patterson's ugly face on that commercial.

These commericals will do about as much good as the anti-drug public service radio spots which featured The Coasters singing "Yakkety-Yak, Don't Smoke Crack."

This is just feel-good, tax-deductable nonsense. I'd be shocked if the movers and shakers who supposedly donated money for this crap thought for a minute it would actually do some good. But they want to be on record as having TRIED to do some good.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Had to control myseslf from laughing when I saw Brooks Patterson's ugly face on that commercial.
    Worst part is, he doesn't even sound sincere, just a thinly veiled hate for Detroit disguised with some scripted words. Seriously, watch it again and tell me how much that guy wants to be in that video!

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Talk is cheap. Let's see what happens when the rubber hits the road with real projects getting off the drawing board.
    He's on a billboard on the Lodge too. Seriously? Maybe he thought it was "Be leavin' Detroit."
    I get sick of these tired campaigns, though I like that it is as a resource to volunteer.

Quote Originally Posted by dookie joe View Post
    These commericals will do about as much good as the anti-drug public service radio spots which featured The Coasters singing "Yakkety-Yak, Don't Smoke Crack."

This is just feel-good, tax-deductable nonsense. I'd be shocked if the movers and shakers who supposedly donated money for this crap thought for a minute it would actually do some good. But they want to be on record as having TRIED to do some good.
    I agree completely. But, if you're going to do something, why half-ass it? They could have easily done something creative that really caught peoples' eye. Maybe inspired them. The best hope for a commercial like this is that it goes viral and gains far more exposure than the daytime TV crowd watching Judge Joe Brown.

I think I threw up in my mouth a little when I saw Mitch Albom.

LOL! Hit the road indeed! I wonder who did the creative on these? Which agency or studio designed this art and art directed this.....?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    He's on a billboard on the Lodge too. Seriously? Maybe he thought it was "Be leavin' Detroit."
    I get sick of these tired campaigns, though I like that it is as a resource to volunteer.

Brooks probably got PAID to do the spot...and he IS a believer, now that Kwhyme taught him the horse doesn't have to be galloping to be ridden high in the saddle and the cow can give plenty of milk even when sick, tired, and largely starved.

They left a trail of cocktails along Southfield Road. It was only a matter of time before he waddled into the studio.

are there specific volunteer agencies, non-profits, linked with the volunteer efforts..

The music is barely lukewarm
    I thought they'd be singing the Neil Diamond penned Monkees hit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfuBREMXxts

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    You stole the words [[and vomit) out of my mouth.

Actually, a lot of the people in that ad were hard-right, anti-union figures, not just Mitch but LBP and Purtan too.

I'm not a believer until I see her face.

Semi-related: http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...ng_in_det.html

I know he does a lot of good things with charities, but sometimes does come off as a ...

Default Somebody get on the ball here...

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    are there specific volunteer agencies, non-profits, linked with the volunteer efforts..
    This is a job opportunity for somebody. When you drive past those adopt-a-highway signs, those companies surely [[for the most part) are outsourcing the task of actually cleaning that stretch of highway. Same goes for their adopt-a-bus-shelter program, I should think, where you keep an eye out for maintenance and clean it up [[I think it said) monthly. Someone needs to try to be entrepreneurial and hire themselves out to handle that for the sponsors.
    My 2 cents anyhoo.

Actually, a lot of the people in that ad were hard-right, anti-union figures, not just Mitch but LBP and Purtan too.
    True. And fi I'm listing the anti union people in that ad I'd probably mention Bing before Purtan and Albom.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sam View Post
    True. And fi I'm listing the anti union people in that ad I'd probably mention Bing before Purtan and Albom.
    I forgot Bing. Good call. Apparently, the slogan means "I'm a believer" in Detroit, but not in organized labor.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmath View Post
    I'm not a believer until I see her face.
    Funny. Nice to know that the time I spent watching the Monkees after school has paid off.

I forgot Bing. Good call. Apparently, the slogan means "I'm a believer" in Detroit, but not in organized labor.
    The only person missing was Snyder. :-)

Funny. Nice to know that the time I spent watching the Monkees after school has paid off.
    Yes it did, but the time you spent watching the Partridge Family did nothing but cripple society and destroy many young lives.

Quote Originally Posted by blackmath View Post
    Yes it did, but the time you spent watching the Partridge Family did nothing but cripple society and destroy many young lives.
    Hey, I'm not taking the blame for that. I only watched one or two episodes total of The Partidge Family my whole life.

Hey, I'm not taking the blame for that. I only watched one or two episodes total of The Partidge Family my whole life.
    What?! But David Cassidy is so cute...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast