Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Purtain and Washburn

Grew up on Puritan and Washburn in the early 60s. There was a corner store that was also a soda shop were we could buy candy, model cars and airplanes. Does anyone remember that store and the owner name, I think that it was Harry.
    Also there was a bakery run by a very nice old lady with white hair near Cherrylawn. We would stop there on our way to school in the AM. Does anyone remember?

Sorry not in my neighborhood [[French Road and 6 Mile/McNichols) but in the 1950's on Tumey St. was a 'candy store' , and on Carlbert Street one block North of French, near Holy Name Church, was a so called one penny candy store, where we kids bought penny gum with baseball cards inside. Fun fun fun, says Wrona at Treasure Vault.

Default Fun, fun, fun

Yes the good old days! Candy was so important back then. A Quarter and 2 cent tax would get me 5 candy bars. Summers where a blast! No computers, video games, 100 tv channel so we just played and rode our bikes all day long. Do kids still get or want bicycles these days?

Quote Originally Posted by TreasureVault View Post
    Sorry not in my neighborhood [[French Road and 6 Mile/McNichols) but in the 1950's on Tumey St. was a 'candy store' , and on Carlbert Street one block North of French, near Holy Name Church, was a so called one penny candy store, where we kids bought penny gum with baseball cards inside. Fun fun fun, says Wrona at Treasure Vault.

I lived on Littlefield between Vassar and St. Martins [[ north of 7 mile ) There was a great business district on 7 mile near Schaefer going up all the way east. Hardly anything remains.

Sure kids still want bicycles, except these kids are now 30 and can spend 1000 for a set of wheels.
    .25 won't even buy one candy bar now.

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator_cew View Post
    No computers, video games, 100 tv channel so we just played and rode our bikes all day long. Do kids still get or want bicycles these days?
    Recall those guys that rode a bike that was absent a chain-guard and the innovative ways to keep your pants-leg free Or worse, riding a bike where the brake-bar-clamp was gone and simply turned with the wheel? Some folks wired them on with a piece of coat hanger. Back then about the smallest two-wheeler [[with some exceptions) was a 20-incher. These days there are hordes of two-wheelers under 20". Most kids [[even adults) wear helmets these days, something never seen in the 50's and 60's

Quote Originally Posted by Aviator_cew View Post
    Grew up on Puritan and Washburn in the early 60s. There was a corner store that was also a soda shop were we could buy candy, model cars and airplanes. Does anyone remember that store and the owner name, I think that it was Harry.
    Also there was a bakery run by a very nice old lady with white hair near Cherrylawn. We would stop there on our way to school in the AM. Does anyone remember?
    There were so many small and local family stores in the 50's and 60's [[chain stores or even mass/major discounts stores had not arrived and stole their business).
    Even the absence of shopping centers [[i. e., malls) in the 50's and 60's helped to keep these local business' going.
    It was a real experience to go in these local stores, where the shopkeepers knew everybody in the neighborhood.