Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Wild Whole Foods Rumor

Looking to see if anyone has heard or can substantiate a rumor I heard about Whole Foods coming to midtown-the freshly cleared area at Warren and woodward.

I'll admit my source isn't the most credible...

I have heard the same rumor, but didn't want to post it until I saw official confirmation.

Haha. If Wayne State can bring in a huge national bookseller in an effort to crush Marwil, why not bring in libertarian-run Whole Foods to crush Avalon and Goodwells?

Put me down in the category of "overwhelmingly skeptical."
    Last edited by Carey; February-01-11 at 04:21 PM.

I went into the whole foods in ann arbor once..... and i thought it might be one part of hell.

volvo wagons packed in like sardines, everyone fighting to park. canvas shopping bags everywhere. The only thing i wound up buying was a seven dollar tiny little jar of salad dressing and felt poor just buying that. single tomatoes selling in the "couple of dollar range" oh man its all coming back to me know it was terrible!

Well if the rumor is true I'll still welcome them but will stay far away. I think its a little upscale for midtown right now [[which i think is a big part of why zaccaros didn't make it very long) If they think they can make it work i wish them well.

Does no one ever do a websearch?
    If you go to their website and look at stores in development you will see that there is nothing in Michigan being developed.
    http://wholefoodsmarket.com/content/...n-development/

Shhhh ... jcole, we have a good, strong rumor mill going. Don't spoil our fun.

After selling out to Monsanto's idiocy, Whole Paycheck won't see a dime of mine even if they were the last grocery store in town!

Whole Foods does seem too upscale for the area. If many large normal chains will not set up in Detroit, it's unlikely a Whole Foods would. That said, there might be a market for a smaller type grocer who sells high-end products, if the shop is run well and the prices are not outrageous.

Where I live [[Massachusetts right now), my wife and I do shop at Whole Foods for meat and produce, because our normal supermarket stinks so badly. When we limit it to just those items and stay with things in season, the costs are not that much more than the regular supermarket and we find the quality definitely worth it.

If there was ever a time for this, it is now. Downtown and Midtown are building momentum, and with the recent incentives from the Midtown employers for employee relocation, this could help sway a lot of people.

rencense, You must live in a more upscale neighborhood. The independent Whole Earth type grocery near where I live attracts Subaru station wagons with bumper stickers covering the back end. That's ok but when I get inside, everyone is acting so mellow instead of just being indifferent as in a regular grocery store. It's sort of like how people act in churches or Canada to each other. I have to try and shake off the creepy vibes when I get back outside by which time I'm grumbling about the prices anyway. Still, bless all those folks for spending their extra money on organic food instead of gas guzzlers.
    Last edited by oladub; February-01-11 at 11:59 AM. Reason: inserted omitted word

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Shhhh ... jcole, we have a good, strong rumor mill going. Don't spoil our fun.
    Well, in that case, maybe this will help the rumor mill go into full gear: suggest a location.
    http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/comp...act_submit.php

A Whole Foods would be a great thing for Midtown [[or Downtown for that matter).

Their private label, 365, is priced at the same level as many supermarkets, and the quality is superior. Like any store, you just have to be a smart shopper.

Further there are far worse people to be around than the Subaru/Volvo/Saab set.

Ken

After selling out to Monsanto's idiocy, Whole Paycheck won't see a dime of mine even if they were the last grocery store in town!
    Speaking of rumors, I saw that one going around. Also not true.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gary-h....html?ir=Green

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    They won't be getting a dime out of me either! It will be more difficult, but I'll just do the majority of my shopping at Eastern Market and other places. At least it won't cost as much.

WF seems to own a part of food 'hell' indeed. LOL! Snob-smug food consumer factor for sure. There's little I can buy outside of the organic produce elsewhere and I prefer to do than deal with Whole Foods... If they are a 'prerequisite' for eating and living well, many will be out-priced, and hungry. But it be ok, if they came, but would they really be able to turn a profit?

Smart food and health conscious Detroiters are savvy and diverse to shop at various stores and markets fitting their price range and habits. We know what to do! I know that's my style. I am not too pleased with buying a two dollar lemon from anyone... and the holistic er' Whole Foods 'social' branding hype does not negate the over-pricing for me.

I prefer to promote and find ways for people of moderate and low incomes to eat and live well. That's the broader solution. WF does not address that. They are too expensive... and to some extent they celebrate their exclusive status in that. Which is their option. My option is to go elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by rencense View Post
    I went into the whole foods in ann arbor once..... and i thought it might be one part of hell.

volvo wagons packed in like sardines, everyone fighting to park. canvas shopping bags everywhere. The only thing i wound up buying was a seven dollar tiny little jar of salad dressing and felt poor just buying that. single tomatoes selling in the "couple of dollar range" oh man its all coming back to me know it was terrible!

Well if the rumor is true I'll still welcome them but will stay far away. I think its a little upscale for midtown right now [[which i think is a big part of why zaccaros didn't make it very long) If they think they can make it work i wish them well.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-01-11 at 12:48 PM.

Well that's a point. They would have to embrace some of the sales techniques and promotions that even expensive butt Krogers has had to do finally, especially in Dearborn where the abundance of family own middle-eastern produce market forced Krogers to reduces the prices somewhat on their sub-par produce. The average person working two jobs can not afford to pay $3 for a green pepper. I refuse to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by krapug1 View Post
    ....there are far worse people to be around than the Subaru/Volvo/Saab set.

Ken
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-01-11 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Haha. If Wayne State can bring in a huge national bookseller in an effort to crush Marwil, why not bring in libertarian-run Whole Foods to crush Avalon and Goodwells?
    I can't see them or anyone crushing Avalon. Avalon is the best there is and if anything Avalon would supply their bread.

"Whole Paycheck"... LOL! That's about right... I resent over spending for the sake of exclusive style, with a big corporate food print none-the-less than whats already out there related to consumables.

Last edited by Zacha341; February-01-11 at 01:12 PM.

What is the Monsanto back story - involvement?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Try reading Pam's post above with the link and you'll find out.

Can I have some of what you're smoking?

LodgeDodger Guest

I do most of my grocery shopping at Whole Foods. I used to shop at Meijer, but they no longer carry what I like. Whole Foods works for us.

Will do. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Try reading Pam's post above with the link and you'll find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I just researched it. I'm not very happy right now.

http://foodfreedom.wordpress.com/201...s-to-monsanto/

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast