Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

lilpup Guest

Default Huffington Post pimping Detroit ruins yet again

Their site sucks. Pop up ads and naked starlets. I know there is real news in there, somewhere, but I can't be bothered.

gosh yet another detroit-is-crumbling article. I've seen so many of these the past few years I'm pretty sure i'm close to developing a drinking game of cliche's thrown around by outside urban explorers in Detroit. Rule number one: ALWAYS start with a picture of the MCS lobby [[drink) A good chaser is always the absurdity of cars parked in the michigan theater [[drink again)

I'm a little perplexed that they claim they do a lot of research yet many of these pictures are from the fort shelby pre-renovation and the broderick tower which are restored and being renovated respectively. Since the article is dated 2/1/11 I would figure they would at least mention their current status, theres still plenty of other places to focus on.

It does seem, however, that people will pay good money for some of these pictures. I've considered getting into that business and giving half the proceeds to a worthy org in the city, sadly i'm not much of a photographer yet.

southsider Guest

Default Detroit Ruins as Art

I find this type of hipster commentary commical. As long as you don't have to live next door to it, its easy to compose these esoteric, artsy editorials.

Or is my perspective evidence that I'm becoming an old, republican, crotchety gray hair? LOL

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kisa-l..._b_810688.html

Wow, never thought I would see the Cass chem lab again.

Mr. Houdini Guest

That was a good article. But I wonder why it took two guys from Paris to come take photos of Detroit and publish a book of the photos. Are there no photographers in the Detroit area with such ambition? To photograph and get published?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Houdini View Post
    That was a good article. But I wonder why it took two guys from Paris to come take photos of Detroit and publish a book of the photos. Are there no photographers in the Detroit area with such ambition? To photograph and get published?
    Check out Ryan Southen. He does a good job capturing a variety of Detroit's angles.

Wow… Just looking at the picture of the Highland Park Police evidence and a name popped out

Benjamin Atkins was an infamous serial murderer of 11 woman, all possibley crack cocaine-addicted female prostitutes who lured to their death many of whom were raped and strangled. He terrorized HP for a 9 month period [1991-2] while I lived in HP. Some of his victims were discovered in two abandoned motels fronting Woodward not 100 meters from my house. He died from AIDS in prison in 1997.

His story was probably the biggest crime story of that era.

lilpup Guest

Do you pimp your daughter, too?

I thought the article was good too. It was a lot fairer than some other stuff I've seen written about Detroit in national publications.