Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Detroit Dogs

Default Detroit Dogs

So the following article was in the paper a few weeks back. Hush just posted this promo video on facebook. The city wouldn't give them permits because of the negative light it would shine on the city. After viewing this video I can understand why the city's elected officials would feel this way. The show looks very real and true to the city. I feel as though the show could benefit the city and especially the dogs by generating awareness and national exposure.

http://www.freep.com/article/2011011...out-stray-dogs

Heh - I like how that video starts with the Aldous Huxley quote, "Facts Do Not Cease To Exist Because They Are Ignored." I wish they would just stop grandstanding around TV shows at the City Council. Who cares if they make a show about stray dogs in Detroit?

I'll let you in on a little secret - I know of this Detroit-centric webboard started by this Detroit artist where people post about Detroit, like that you should bring some pepper spray when biking through some of the more abandoned neighborhoods, they crack jokes about hunting Pheasants south of 8-Mile, they wax poetic about magnificent ruins with names remniscent of the seven dwarves, and they reveal that EMS is using Crown Vics as supplemental ambulances. How Lowell ever got that website past the City Council, I have no idea.

Anyway, the point is that nobody who was going to move here or invest here will now change their mind because of some unique twist on the reality show genre [[or, for that matter, some crime drama). Unless you're counting on that one millionaire idiot who's too damn stupid to google Detroit. It's actually counterproductive, because the concept that packs of stray dogs roam Detroit is so much more believable if the city council nixes it [[whoa) than if Discovery puts on some weird show [[haha, that's crazy).

Anyway, who the hell keeps asking the City Council, and why? Did MTV timidly approach the New Jersey State Assembly about Jersey Shore?

The stray dog situation needs to be dealt with. 99% of these animals started out as pets whose owners probably couldn't afford them. They were released onto the streets and now live in vacant lots, abandoned buildings, and city parks. It's a shame because many of them will not survive this frigid winter. People need to have their dogs and cats neutered and not buy pets they can't afford. Let's hope that the cats, dogs, and other formerly domesticated animals left unattended on the streets don't continue to breed. Animal Cops Detroit featured some of these situations and the outcome is always sad. These were people's pets. Some kids' best buddy.

Looks like the video's down already!?

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent View Post
    Looks like the video's down already!?
    The video was taken down due to technical reasons. It should be back up later today. Here is another from facebook for the mean time.

Hush Carlisle --
    "Searching for dogs, my friend Dante tells me to come over to this abandoned house on Hasse near Davison. And this is what the City doesn't clean up. They just allow it to go on and on. Really? Water just flowing, pipes busted. This was 2 weeks ago. It's still running..."

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....50091459734547

Quote Originally Posted by fryar View Post
    Anyway, the point is that nobody who was going to move here or invest here will now change their mind because of some unique twist on the reality show genre [[or, for that matter, some crime drama). Unless you're counting on that one millionaire idiot who's too damn stupid to google Detroit. It's actually counterproductive, because the concept that packs of stray dogs roam Detroit is so much more believable if the city council nixes it [[whoa) than if Discovery puts on some weird show [[haha, that's crazy).

Anyway, who the hell keeps asking the City Council, and why? Did MTV timidly approach the New Jersey State Assembly about Jersey Shore?
    Dog and animal lovers will take an interest in moving here, if not moving then at least helping to support the cause by donating to the detroit rescue.

If you read the freep article before posting, you would have informed yourself that the producers and crew are asking permission to film.

Video is back up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-bxTO_Q-5k

Embedding doesn't seem to work.

man! That was a hard video to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    The stray dog situation needs to be dealt with. 99% of these animals started out as pets whose owners probably couldn't afford them. They were released onto the streets and now live in vacant lots, abandoned buildings, and city parks. It's a shame because many of them will not survive this frigid winter. People need to have their dogs and cats neutered and not buy pets they can't afford. Let's hope that the cats, dogs, and other formerly domesticated animals left unattended on the streets don't continue to breed. Animal Cops Detroit featured some of these situations and the outcome is always sad. These were people's pets. Some kids' best buddy.
    My wife and rescued a pit bull off the Lodge [[around Wyoming) 3 yrs ago. BEST dog I have ever had! And I have been around lots of dogs in my time.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    The stray dog situation needs to be dealt with. 99% of these animals started out as pets whose owners probably couldn't afford them.
    Of course, it's possible too that the owners didn't want to deal with them either. I've known people who get rid of their pets when they pee on the carpet, etc.

Oh boy, I wish I didn't watch that video. I knew it wasn't going to be pretty, but that was a tough watch.

I took my pup to a dog training class and the guy running it said that 40% of dogs are gotten rid of by their owners in the first few years.