Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit Breakfast House

I had notice an individual walking around in the storefront that once housed the Detroit Breakfast House. I had asked him are there any plans on a restaurant opening on this site and he said yes. It would not be as expensive as the Detroit Breakfast House but a little more expensive than I-Hop. It is still in the planning.

That's great news. Seriously, I miss that place.

Too expensive to me. I hope the new restaurant will be more pratical instead of going for ambviance

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Too expensive to me. I hope the new restaurant will be more pratical instead of going for ambviance
    So long as it isn't another coney island. Downtown already has like 5 of those. A place that specializes in breakfast food would be best.

that place was delicious...but the price was too high...but we don't need another greasy spoon, that's for sure.

Yes! Please, let it be so...

Maybe it'll be an OHOP? There's one behind my apartment that I frequent and I enjoy it.

I'd settle for an Origional Pancake House or a second Pantry[[like at VanDyke south of 15 Mile.) Both have great food and lines out the door.

Yeah, I read on here a while ago that it was supposed to be an OHOP - or already was, for that matter. I thought that was settled?

FWIW, the Breakfast House was a little pricey, but it had nice food and outdoor seating. IMO, downtown could stand to have that place come right back into existence.

God I love greasy spoons! I just hate dirty forks.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I had notice an individual walking around in the storefront that once housed the Detroit Breakfast House. I had asked him are there any plans on a restaurant opening on this site and he said yes. It would not be as expensive as the Detroit Breakfast House but a little more expensive than I-Hop. It is still in the planning.
    I have some inside info...they're very close to signing the lease. Landlord is really being accommodating. They are experienced local restaurant operators. It will be breakfast, brunch/lunch. More casual than Breakfast house tried to be... but definitely not an IHOP or a coney/greasy spoon. One sort of bummer is that It has to be closed by 4pm due to the apartments above having a lease covenant that any restaurant in the building would close by then. Breakfast house started opening at 2am toward the end and that lead to lawsuits by tenants. So, no dinner, no late night. The plan is to have the front be coffee house-ish. by that I mean place to sit, grab coffee and bagel...etc. to capture the business of those wanting to just grab a quick bite and coffee to go. They've already blown their time line due to all sorts of problems with details. Lets just say, barring any further issues, they are trying to get open as fast as possible.

The Detroit Breakfast House was laughable. I was downtown with my brother shortly after they opened. We thought; "great a decent place to get breakfast tomorrow morning"... We realized when we were walking up to the front door that we were underdressed for this "fine dining" breakfast. I remembering thinking that it wasn't going to last too long because it didn't appeal to a broad array of customers. I am open to spending money for breakfast, I just don't want to be looked cross-eyed for not having a pair of slacks on...

what are the better breakfast oriented restaurants in the city.. any breakfast buffets?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    what are the better breakfast oriented restaurants in the city.. any breakfast buffets?
    I'm a fan of the Big Clique on E. Jefferson, just east of downtown. Though, they are somewhat of a greasy spoon. Best hangover omelets you can imagine.

Brush Start is right about Clique. Great spot to eat and you can usually see some of the area's movers and shakers dining there. I'm also a fan of the Motown Coffee and Grill, which is located at Jefferson near McDougal. Great food and reasonable prices.

For a really nice spot breakfast spot west of downtown, I like the Steak Hut on Lafayette. Kind of a greasy spoon, but authentic and reasonable. An added plus at the Steak Hut is the gallery of movie posters from Detroit themed films. I haven't been to the Steak Hut since last summer, but it remains on my list of good spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sam View Post
    Brush Start is right about Clique. Great spot to eat and you can usually see some of the area's movers and shakers dining there. I'm also a fan of the Motown Coffee and Grill, which is located at Jefferson near McDougal. Great food and reasonable prices.

For a really nice spot breakfast spot west of downtown, I like the Steak Hut on Lafayette. Kind of a greasy spoon, but authentic and reasonable. An added plus at the Steak Hut is the gallery of movie posters from Detroit themed films. I haven't been to the Steak Hut since last summer, but it remains on my list of good spots.
    It is always the greasy spoons that get most of the attention and are mostly patronized. I like the Ham Shop in Greektown.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    I have some inside info...they're very close to signing the lease. Landlord is really being accommodating. They are experienced local restaurant operators. It will be breakfast, brunch/lunch. More casual than Breakfast house tried to be... but definitely not an IHOP or a coney/greasy spoon. One sort of bummer is that It has to be closed by 4pm due to the apartments above having a lease covenant that any restaurant in the building would close by then. Breakfast house started opening at 2am toward the end and that lead to lawsuits by tenants. So, no dinner, no late night. The plan is to have the front be coffee house-ish. by that I mean place to sit, grab coffee and bagel...etc. to capture the business of those wanting to just grab a quick bite and coffee to go. They've already blown their time line due to all sorts of problems with details. Lets just say, barring any further issues, they are trying to get open as fast as possible.
    Will the coffee shop part open later than 4pm? I get off work around 4:30. What would the tenants above say when they smell breakfast early in the morning coming from the restaurant. I hope that the hours will be longer in the summer but it is a breakfast house.

GUSHI Guest

The pantry in washington twp. Isnt as good as the one on 14 1/2 and vd

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    The Detroit Breakfast House was laughable. I was downtown with my brother shortly after they opened. We thought; "great a decent place to get breakfast tomorrow morning"... We realized when we were walking up to the front door that we were underdressed for this "fine dining" breakfast. I remembering thinking that it wasn't going to last too long because it didn't appeal to a broad array of customers. I am open to spending money for breakfast, I just don't want to be looked cross-eyed for not having a pair of slacks on...
    Hardly laughable. They had remarkable food, if dashed with a bit of pretension, and they had good attendance - there was usually a wait for a table on the weekends. IIRC, they closed down because their owners didn't pay their taxes or something like that, as part of that Southern Hospitality Restaurant Group cave-in that took down some other downtown restaurants as well. Not because they didn't do well, in general.
    A friend of mine who had visited me in Detroit recently commented, when I mentioned that I was thinking of moving back, that he certainly wouldn't do so [[yeah, it's been a tough sell), the breakfast house was like the only redeeming thing about the place. Really. It was a perfectly respectable restaurant in a sea of Mr. Pita's.
    I'm pretty sure I had gone in there in jeans, but as a bit of a shlub, the point about it being dressy is not lost on me. But never mind that, did you ever have their stuffed cheesecake? It was awesome. Where else is a fella to turn for a simple Eggs Benedict in this town [[why would you make breakfast food and not offer Eggs Benedict)? And even their home fries were good. Again, all this in the context of a plethora of underwhelming options.

DetroitDad Guest

I miss their stuffed french toast, which was the best. IHOP is okay though. I wouldn't mind them being on Woodward, but would rather prefer something uniquely Detroit, of good quality. I hope they have a kids menu, like Detroit Breakfast House had.

I loved everything about the Breakfast House. I didn't see it as being any more "pretentious" than say, Small Plates.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I loved everything about the Breakfast House. I didn't see it as being any more "pretentious" than say, Small Plates.
    That's fair. I didn't mean to say that it was *too* pretentious. But I can emulate with someone who was caught unawares and felt underdressed. It was upscale. Given the name, they may have expected an IHOP-like experience.

Got it. I see where you're coming from... I just hope this place opens up again, and soon!

The 'Steak Hut' [[previously mentioned) also features Sunday morning
    "Two Dollar Breakfast"
    Live [[acoustic) music.
    Usually good performers, and always great food to be had.
    Make sure to say Hi !! to Gus' Ma, he'll give you a smile, and extra attention.
    My favorites during the week are, 'Johnnies Ham King' on Fort St. [[east of the Bridge),
    and in the north suburbs, 'Double EE' on 9 mile rd. in Ferndale[[they're GREAT).
    In Hamtramck, 'Main Street' on Jos. Campau, is really good for breakfast, and in
    East Dearborn, 'Jims Place' on Michigan. GREAT Polish Sausage omelett !!!
    YUMMY !!!! BREAKFAST RULES !!!!!!

It would be nice if a Waffle House open in that spot

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast