Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Why Watch the Super Bowl?

http://www.thenation.com/article/158...ch-empire-bowl

One of the four reasons given:
    "...There is no question that violence stirs fan blood. Football players know this; they have been remarkably hostile to attempts to soften the mayhem, especially those ringing helmet-to-helmet shots, an offspring of the modern technique learned in PeeWee leagues of “putting a hat on him” [[which means tackling headfirst rather than the more traditional style of wrapping one’s arms around the ball carrier’s legs and dragging him down). Most pro football players seem to be on the side of the hats. A more careful game won’t be football anymore, they say. It won’t be the American game—even for some of the doctors watching who treat the “epidemic of concussions blazing through schoolboy football.”

maxx, I am surprised you are not coming out as a cheesehead for this event. True, both teams are named after nearly extinct groups of blue collar American workers, steel workers and meat packers, but the Packers ownership structure is closer to being communist than any major franchise of any sport in the country. "The Packers are the only non-profit, community-owned franchise in American professional sports major leagues." Voters in Green Bay voted to build Lambeau Field using their own tax money to do so. No other NFL team is allowed to have more than 32 owners but the Packers have 112,000 stockholders who are not allowed to profit from their stock ownership and do not receive tickets in exchange for ownership.
    -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Bay_Packers

I only watch for the commericals.....

...the Packers have 112,000 stockholders who are not allowed to profit from their stock ownership and do not receive tickets in exchange for ownership.
    There's something crazy about that arrangement. I wonder how many stockholders played football.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    There's something crazy about that arrangement. I wonder how many stockholders played football.
    Consider the stock purchases as being offerings. There is but love is in the frigid air of Wisconsin when someone mentions "The Pack". As a Detroit expatriot, I am still am bit mystified as the State Capitol Building is being covered with green and gold Christmas lights and priests are having their green and gold raiments, that they wear on game days, sent to the dry cleaner before the big game. I have, for my part, read an 544 page When pride Still Mattered to try to understand all this. But, yes, it does seem a bit crazy.

"I believe in God and I believe in decency but….I firmly believe that any man’s finest hours – his greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear – is that moment when he has worked his heart out in good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle – victorious. " - Vince Lombardi