Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Michigan Central Depot Chandeliers

Hello,

I am a graduate student at Michigan State University and I'm looking for an artifact from Michigan Central Depot. Specifically, one of the chandeliers from the lobby. I am working with a University of Michigan graduate student and several Detroit artists to recreate replicas of this chandelier for a renovation project of the underpass adjacent to the station. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

p.s.

We will adhere to strict anonymity in terms of ownership. The chandelier will not need to be moved, we'll use a 3D scanner to create a CAD model of the artifact.

Please help us bring back a piece of history for everyone to enjoy.

Thanks,

Please contact me at: carolanp@msu.edu if you have any information.

If you want to find those priceless artifacts, the first place I'd look is Bloomfield Hills.

Rumor has it the owner prior to Matty Maroun has them in a warehouse somewhere in the city. Someone I trust tells me they saw them last year in ok shape.

The previous owner's name escapes me but he was the one who couldn't pay the security bills and let the depot fall into the shape its in now. Matty at least put a fence up, bricked off some doors, set up improvised fences inside to protect the perimeter, obviously not enough because its still only patching 4 out of 10 entrances to the building.

Quote Originally Posted by 100pol View Post
    Hello,

I am a graduate student at Michigan State University and I'm looking for an artifact from Michigan Central Depot. Specifically, one of the chandeliers from the lobby. I am working with a University of Michigan graduate student and several Detroit artists to recreate replicas of this chandelier for a renovation project of the underpass adjacent to the station. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

p.s.

We will adhere to strict anonymity in terms of ownership. The chandelier will not need to be moved, we'll use a 3D scanner to create a CAD model of the artifact.

Please help us bring back a piece of history for everyone to enjoy.

Thanks,

Please contact me at: carolanp@msu.edu if you have any information.
    So you're planning on buying the area under the tracks from the City of Detroit? Which underpass are you talking about? There are technically three: 1) The entire underworld under the tracks. 2) The passenger subway which occupies the same area and 3) the baggage tunnel which also occupies the vast underworld that used to be the express, baggage and post office.

Will post something in a bit

This post really needs some clarification. Why would you need chandeliers for restoration of an underpass? How do you restore something that doesn't belong to you. And why restore an insignificant part of a place with much more interesting areas?
    I would like to see pics of the referenced lights. I'm imagining the things are huge!

]
    Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    This post really needs some clarification. Why would you need chandeliers for restoration of an underpass? How do you restore something that doesn't belong to you. And why restore an insignificant part of a place with much more interesting areas?
    I would like to see pics of the referenced lights. I'm imagining the things are huge!
    There were four of these guys...sorry about the glare
    Last edited by mcsdetroitfriend; January-30-11 at 07:54 PM.

Corktown has been planning to put better lighting under that tunnel. Maybe this dude's helping.

As for your shock One Shot, don't you know if you want something done here, you have to do it yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by laphoque View Post
    Corktown has been planning to put better lighting under that tunnel. Maybe this dude's helping.

As for your shock One Shot, don't you know if you want something done here, you have to do it yourself?
    Yes, we're working with Corktown and Mexicantown to improve the lighting in the underpass. We're starting small and hoping to build it gradually into a full renovation with the train company's support.

Here's a link to the master plan for the rest of the area: http://www.swsol.org/articles/vista_plan

From BoD:

Other picture.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; January-31-11 at 02:29 PM.

Yes, we're working with Corktown and Mexicantown to improve the lighting in the underpass. We're starting small and hoping to build it gradually into a full renovation with the train company's support.

Here's a link to the master plan for the rest of the area: http://www.swsol.org/articles/vista_plan
    You guys are probably too late with the underpass, currently it's closed and CPR has already been accepting bids to repair and perhaps renovate the viaduct...by the way the clearance of that viaduct isn't high enough for a five foot chandelier, I'd say just put more bright LEDs under there vs. the orange lights, anyone remember when that girl got raped under there back in the late 90's?

I believe the design of the lighting for the viaduct was going to be inspired by the original chandeliers from inside the depot. Not a carbon copy. Just taking some of the designs and design cues from the originals. I do hope the originals are safely in storage some place.

Sorry to see the viaduct fall into such disrepair, but glad to see CP Rail is working on improving it. Good way to foster some positive relations with the corktown neighborhood.

we'll use a 3D scanner to create a CAD model of the artifact.
    I was curious about this process so I Googled up the Wikipedia article on 3D scanner. That would be fun to play with. What kind of equipment do you use?

I often play around with autostereograms.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    Rumor has it the owner prior to Matty Maroun has them in a warehouse somewhere in the city. Someone I trust tells me they saw them last year in ok shape.

The previous owner's name escapes me but he was the one who couldn't pay the security bills and let the depot fall into the shape its in now. Matty at least put a fence up, bricked off some doors, set up improvised fences inside to protect the perimeter, obviously not enough because its still only patching 4 out of 10 entrances to the building.
    Internet searches are leading me to believe they were scavenged but perhaps it was that dude. This lady wrote a book about it http://www.metromodemedia.com/blogs/...naugh5108.aspx Maybe she would have some leads. It might not be very easy to find a chandelier.

Good luck. The plan looks really cool. It'd be great to have some businesses right in the viaducts.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsdetroitfriend View Post
    ]

There were four of these guys...sorry about the glare
    Great photo, mcsdetroitfriend. My memory's a bit fuzzy, but I don't remember that lobby being so big that there were clouds inside. Pretty cool.