Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Quite a bit happening with storefronts on Woodward

Last night I noticed that there are many changes occurring on Woodward. First, on lower Woodward many of the storefronts on the west side of the street have been totally cleaned up, the spaces are cleared out, and the lights were all on for more than a block. There is similar activity happening on the east side of lower Woodward. As I made my way north to Union Street Grille, I noticed that there was work going on in two of the storefronts on Woodward just south of Alexandrine in Midtown. In, fact there was a construction crew in there when I went by at 8:00pm. I also noticed that YOBS looks very clean, and polished, even more so than a few weeks ago. It seems like the only thing they have left to do is stock the shelves. I'm guessing that they open relatively soon. There were a few other things going on along Woodward as well, but I can't remember specifically. So, my question is, what is going on? Are these places being prepped for new businesses, or is the renovation work being driven by the expectation of light rail?

Winter Blast?

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Winter Blast?
    I mean, I don't think that's a big enough catalyst to cause the kind of work that's going on...?

My first thought when reading this post was that there is a lot of activity on the store fronts and/or in the windows. We're not talking about activity in the buildings - businesses and retail activity, rather facade and appearance. Which is good. We want the appearance of Woodward Avenue to be nice. My second thought was when CAY, prior to the RN Convention, had awnings and paintings applied to many buildings along the People Mover route to give the illusion of business and pedestrian activity. My third thought was I've been waiting around about 50 years for downtown to come back to life and it has yet to happen. Always glimmers, always twinkles, always promises, but in the end, very little. Love Detroit for what it is NOW. For all of its problems, enjoy the good things about Detroit NOW.

Uuughh, those poodles and top hatted, parasol wielding, black silhouetted people painted on the exterior of the Detroit Heritage Hotel. Bad cartoon characters. A little improvement came about when Bob McKeown began his guerrila stenciling campaign, 'Demolished By Neglect".

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    My first thought when reading this post was that there is a lot of activity on the store fronts and/or in the windows. We're not talking about activity in the buildings - businesses and retail activity, rather facade and appearance. Which is good. We want the appearance of Woodward Avenue to be nice. My second thought was when CAY, prior to the RN Convention, had awnings and paintings applied to many buildings along the People Mover route to give the illusion of business and pedestrian activity. My third thought was I've been waiting around about 50 years for downtown to come back to life and it has yet to happen. Always glimmers, always twinkles, always promises, but in the end, very little. Love Detroit for what it is NOW. For all of its problems, enjoy the good things about Detroit NOW.
    I agree with you about enjoying Detroit now for what it is, but some of the activity is more than just facade improvements. Some of these spaces aren't city properties. They are definitely being developed for business.

There is also another large retail space that is being developed by Harmonie Park by the Opera House.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    I agree with you about enjoying Detroit now for what it is, but some of the activity is more than just facade improvements. Some of these spaces aren't city properties. They are definitely being developed for business.

There is also another large retail space that is being developed by Harmonie Park by the Opera House.
    I appreciate your comments and I'm confident you mean well, but I've been hearing this same refrain for a half century. It ain't going to happen during my lifetime. Maybe the next generations.

You sure it's not for a movie?

DetroitDad Guest

Don't get too excited. Although the filling of space in general, is a good thing, I do believe that the ones in the Woodward Gardens Block development have several non-retail friendly tenants [[offices) reserved. You can see them working on the build outs in the evening.

Just up the street there appears to be multiple new buildings going up on the back side of the Southwest corner of Warren and Woodward Avenue. Only the single story retail buildings remain, while another building, which appears to be something along the lines of the Studio One or Ellington developments, is going up across from Old Main. I am just guessing that the retail tenants in those single story buildings could end up moving into the new buildings, opening the old buildings for demolition and replacement by the park, or future development.

Meanwhile, Downtown almost needs it's own thread. Shields Pizza in the Kales retail space, is quickly becoming a reality. The Adams Building facade is being maintained, and regularly checked by construction crews. Work continues at the United Artists Building and Theater. Employees for some reason, seem to be working at the Whitney Building, though they are not construction crews. Work has begun at the Broderick Tower, Madison Building, Former Nike Store, Pepper's Shoes Building, Elliot Building, Former Cafe Detroit, Bleu Theater [[already reopened?), Layne Bryant Building, as well as the building between the Layne Bryant Building and Bleu Theater. Other buildings appear to be retail ready. Kresge's Mall seems to not have many new tenants, Twelve-25 Woodward appears to have been purchased by local speculators, and Tall-Eez Shoes has silently closed it's doors for good.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; January-29-11 at 11:56 PM.

Anyone have any idea what's going on next to Pub Rub? That construction dumpster has been out there for a while and the entrance is framed out with wood. I keep meaning to go ask a worker but by the time I get home from work they are gone.

I dunno but Rub Pub is awesome.

How long has Salad Creations on Woodward been closed? I just noticed the For Lease sign up yesterday...

While I'm sad to see that this place is permanently closed, the reviews on Yelp were not very good. Basically, it was too expensive for salad and lacked other options except salad or salad wraps. This got me thinking, do you think it was the location that killed Salad Creations, or Salad Creations that killed Salad Creations? I tend to think the latter as a good lunch place across from Compuware/Quicken would seemingly do pretty decent.

Quote Originally Posted by 1KielsonDrive View Post
    I appreciate your comments and I'm confident you mean well, but I've been hearing this same refrain for a half century. It ain't going to happen during my lifetime. Maybe the next generations.
    I've been waiting for nearly as long myself. It seems without any sort of anchor to draw shoppers in retail will continue to struggle. I agree with what you said ealier about enjoying Detroit for what it is now. I would be estatic to get something like a Dollar General Downtown as a way to start growing some foot traffic. Don't laugh, its not really a dollar store and it will sell the basics that you can't get at Eastern Market. This would be utilized well by both the office workers and the trendy lofites.

Unfortunately Ive never seen this store or the similar Family Dollar ever locate in a place without a giant parking lot out in front of it.

...do you think it was the location that killed Salad Creations, or Salad Creations that killed Salad Creations?
    I think it was The Green Room that killed Salad Creations. It offered roughly the same thing, only better and cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Don't get too excited. Although the filling of space in general, is a good thing, I do believe that the ones in the Woodward Gardens Block development have several non-retail friendly tenants [[offices) reserved. You can see them working on the build outs in the evening.

Just up the street there appears to be multiple new buildings going up on the back side of the Southwest corner of Warren and Woodward Avenue. Only the single story retail buildings remain, while another building, which appears to be something along the lines of the Studio One or Ellington developments, is going up across from Old Main. I am just guessing that the retail tenants in those single story buildings could end up moving into the new buildings, opening the old buildings for demolition and replacement by the park, or future development.

Meanwhile, Downtown almost needs it's own thread. Shields Pizza in the Kales retail space, is quickly becoming a reality. The Adams Building facade is being maintained, and regularly checked by construction crews. Work continues at the United Artists Building and Theater. Employees for some reason, seem to be working at the Whitney Building, though they are not construction crews. Work has begun at the Broderick Tower, Madison Building, Former Nike Store, Pepper's Shoes Building, Elliot Building, Former Cafe Detroit, Bleu Theater [[already reopened?), Layne Bryant Building, as well as the building between the Layne Bryant Building and Bleu Theater. Other buildings appear to be retail ready. Kresge's Mall seems to not have many new tenants, Twelve-25 Woodward appears to have been purchased by local speculators, and Tall-Eez Shoes has silently closed it's doors for good.
    Thanks for the report. It's all good. I was up, mid and downtown yesterday. I see lot's of good things happening. I still reserve my big picture optimism because of my past experience. I stand by my previous statement: Enjoy Detroit for what it is NOW!

The same massive cleanup of the storefronts along Woodward occured before the superbowl that was held here in 2006. Smoke and mirrors by the Kilpatrick Administration to decieve visitors. However, I had noticed lights being on in the mirrorred three level building that sit on Woodward in front of the Guardian building. I woud love to see more boutiques and specialy shop open in those store fronts

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingJ View Post
    You sure it's not for a movie?
    It took me a while, but I just now got it. Funny. Thanks.

I went to Winterblast on Saturday with a few friends and I showed them around downtown and pointed out buildings of notice to them. I have not walked around downtown since last summer and there seemed to be a lot of differences, especially on Woodward. Almost every storefront had lights on or accent lighting on, as well as many of them having construction equipment and supplies inside. My friends [[who were from Chicago) were fairly impressed with downtown, as was I. I hope things are looking even better when I'm back down for opening day in a couple months!

Here are a couple of shots that I got as I was headed on campus today. They've been moving at a pretty good clip....