Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: WJZZ Radio

Default WJZZ Radio

Tonight on WRCJ I heard this great Herbie Hancock piece from 1969:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4f8SbbdrEQg

It really took me back to WJZZ and their distinctive playlist in the 80s. Funny that the youtube comment on this song is by someone who also remembered it from WJZZ. Wasn't Ed Love on that station back then? I liked that it was neither purist jazz nor schlocky, just good radio to have on in the car all day long, a cool urban soundtrack.

When I moved back to Detroit in 1998 the first thing I did was tune my radio to 105.9 and much to my amazement WJZZ was no more. I still haven't gotten over it....

Back in the late 1970's, and well into the 80's, I was an avid listener
    to WJZZ. Man I loved that station, and especially...Ms. Rosetta Hines.
    She was great!!! That station, and that music, opened a lot of doors in my young mind and imagination. I went on to listen to so many spin-off genre, such as
    'Big Band' 'Fusion' 'The Blues' 'Classical' 'Roots', etc.
    Then I got turned on to WDET, and kinda started listening to that station more
    and more. Ed Love, Judy Adams, N'Kenga Zola, Faruk ZBey, and on & on.
    And then, [[I think it must have been around when 'Jzz was folding)...Rosetta Hines
    came over to WDET, and tried her hand at the 'purest stuff'.....which I loved her
    coming over. But it [[she) just didn't seem to fit that well.
    She was MISS 'Smooth Jazz'.
    We LOVE YOU!!!! Ms. Rosetta Hines....wherever you are.
    BRING BACK SMOOTH JAZZ.
    Maybe a little soft and smooth would settle some of these crazies down a little.
    One could only hope.

JZZ of the 70s and 80s was special.

I'm not sure what changed, but they started talking too much and the commercials increased. Made me go away.

When other stations did the same, I just turned the radio off.

You bet. WJZZ was a institution. I wish it was still on the airwaves. Anyone know the reason for it's demise?

I was just thinking of some of the people JZZ turned me on to. I was always pretty much classic rock before I found JZZ, but then came Herbie Hancock, Lonnie Liston Smith, Chic Corea, Noel Pointer, Cedar Walton, Maynard Ferguson, Oscar Petersen, Dave Brubeck, Michael Franks, Al Jerreau and a whole host of others.

Can't say as I've ever heard any of them on the radio since.

Listen to WJZZ...Chick Corea, Lonnie Liston Smith, Grant Green, Rodney Franklin, Roy Ayers, Ronny Jordan, Sergio Mendes, Bob James and more....Enjoy!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JhGzqKp3Zs

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Anyone know the reason for it's demise?
    It was sold.

WRCJ has great jazz at night on the weekends. I listen to it quite frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    WRCJ has great jazz at night on the weekends. I listen to it quite frequently.
    It reminds me of the Ed Love show...actually the 7:00pm-5:00am jazz show in on every night not just on the weekends.

Love all of the other artists already mentioned and:
    Jean Luc Ponty,Chuck Mangione and Gato Barbieri

Fantastic memories. Reminded of those hot summer nights enjoying the Pijazz festival at the Pontchartrain in the 1970's.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_doucette View Post
    It was sold.
    Are you sure, Vic? I didn't think they were sold, I just thought they changed to a hip hop format under the same ownership group.

Whatever the reason, I hated the change. I remember the shock I had when I turned on 105.9 one morning expecting to start off my day with a dose and jazz and instead hearing Tupac being played.

Sam, you're right. Accoriding to michiguide.com, the format change from jazz to urban [[and a change of call letters to WCHB-FM) happened in 1996. Radio One didn't buy it until 1998. Shortly after the sale, the call letters changed to WDTJ-FM.

I will admit being [[somewhat) impressed by JZZ in their later years.
    A former WDET staffer named Steve Williams was PD for a while and the jazz content tilted away from 'smooth' or 'adult urban' or 'urban contemporary' or whatever it's called...Calvin Eusary [[another ex-DET guy) hosted a good program that focused on the Giants and it caught the ears of many jazz folks...Ed Love is THE MAN, no question, knows his shit inside/out, great voice. When Ed joined DET they had the strongest jazz team in Mich, certainly in "Detroit and neighboring cities". Dear Rosetta, her heart was always in the right place and what she lacked in knowledge she made up in Spirit...
    Dorian Paster ran the place in its later years. Now there's a name from the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_doucette View Post
    Sam, you're right. Accoriding to michiguide.com, the format change from jazz to urban [[and a change of call letters to WCHB-FM) happened in 1996. Radio One didn't buy it until 1998. Shortly after the sale, the call letters changed to WDTJ-FM.
    Thanks, Vic. I seemed to remember it happening that way, although I was so traumatized by the whole event I can't trust my memory. I hadn't even heard a change was being considered and then "pow", no more JZZ.

I remember the names Eusary and Paster, but I can say I remember much else about them. Same with Hines for that matter.

although I was so traumatized by the whole event I can't trust my memory

I was the same way when WWWW went country overnight, but at least I still had WRIF and a couple of others. There weren't any other dedicated jazz stations that I can remember.

Melancholic bump.

WJZZ was the reason why I bought a Marantz FM stereo receiver [[from Highland Appliance) and a pair of decent speakers. I remember when the station was sold - there was no announcement as I recall. One evening while driving home from a night class at WSU I tuned in 105.9 and heard rap music. I thought something was wrong with my car's radio.

WJZZ made many of their own commercials for Detroit businesses. Remember their commercials for Sibley Shoes and their one liner slogans?
    "Sibley's - If it's in stock, we have it!"
    "Sibley's - Open every night 'till we close."
    "Sibley's - Located next to Hughes and the Hatcher."
    "Sibley's - can fit -- anybody!"

If you miss WJZZ, I strongly suggest a station we have here in LA - KJAZZ 88.1 FM [[available on a their app.) They have a superb line-up of hosts including Steve Tyrell, David Benoit and Gordon Goodwin. No commercials either!

Default Wjzz-fm, 1975-78

Eli Zaret, WJZZ-FM, 1975-78 disc jockey and sports broadcaster. I remember listening to him when I was going to UM Dearborn in the 1970’s.Name:  zaret.jpg
Views: 1485
Size:  39.9 KB