Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Pappy's Motor Sales - Livernois Avenue

I'm looking for the address of Pappy's Motor Sales which was located on Livernois Avenue back in the 50s. Pappy's was the largest volume dealer doing over 5 million in sales and was famous for unusual stunts to attract buyers.

If someone remembers where they were located or has access to an old directory I'd appreciate the information.

Their slogan was "You'll be happy to deal with Pappy"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Whoah. WTF car is that in the foreground? A Tucker? What is that?!

Oh. I just noticed your username, Tucker Fan 48. LOL! What a distinctive car!

I should have known that question would come up. That is a 1952 Haller Taifun. It was a German sports car. Pappy's loved to put cars like that on their lot to attract attention. They even had a bear cub on the lot for awhile.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tucker Fan 48; January-28-11 at 08:09 PM.

Well, it does have three headlights. So does it have any connection to the Tucker other than that?

That looks like the old car lot at Livernois at Pembroke

You could be correct. That would be in the 19700 block of Livernois.
    Maybe someone can confirm that Pappy's was located there.
    Last edited by Tucker Fan 48; January-28-11 at 11:27 PM.

This does not answer your question, but this is a pretty interesting article including Pappys:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Zkg...page&q&f=false

Great article about Livernois.If we could only do those things today!We would be in jail.My dad bought a 1959 Chevy Impala at one of these joints.On the way out of the lot,the salesman informed him that the car had no reverse."No problem dad said,I'll just be careful how I park."We only got stuck once that I can recall.

this might be of use to you in finding the actual address.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=553404

Used to be that if you were looking for a jalopy, you just started walking down Livernois going from used car lot to used car lot. There was one place [[forget the name) who always advertised in the want ads with a little listing called "Cheapies" with eight or ten cars listed for under $150. Mid-fifties, you could get a 1951 Kaiser for $69. It was a mass of rust, but that little Continental engine would just keep on ticking. Lots of his cars cost less than the first year's liability insurance.

I was able to conform that Pappy's was at Livernois and Pembroke and their address was 19750 Livernois Avenue. Thanks for all the help !