Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Who wants to revise the charter?

Hey - I've posted a blog item at FreepOpinion.com that reflects some quick work I did yesterday looking over the list of people who've pulled petitions for charter revision commission in Detroit.

I thought folks in this forum might be interested:
    http://www.freep.com/article/2009051...it+s+charter?+

[[And sorry, Lowell, if posting this here isn't cool!)

There's a name or two I wish I saw on that... and a few that are pretty good folk. Most I've never heard of so don't have an opinion.

However, and I don't normally do this, but I have plug Christianne Sims who is a person who puts in tireless hours for the city - she organizes so many young people, reaches out, and is very smart and does the Mackinaw Policy conference, et all. in

Also, I've met Reggie Fluker - he's going for district 6 in 2010. He's got some good ideas, sorta surprised you passed him up as if you had googled his name his website woulda come up. He was extremely passionate when I met him, and understood the issues well, even if I didn't agree with him on everything.

I really think you should of gone, or eventually, go more in depth with EVERY candidate. And gives you plenty of content to write. :-)

digitalvision:

Thanks for the reply.
    As I said in the post, this was just the result of a quick look-over of the list. I did it that way because all of the people who pull petitions won't necessarily qualify for the ballot.

Once the ballot's finalized [[this Friday) I'm sure the paper will get into depth on all the candidates. And on the editorial board, we'll have an endorsement process that includes a questionnaire, interviews and, finally, our picks..

Hopefully, while you are going thru your endorsement process, the readers can be educated by your paper as to what a good charter should have in it. What areas should be very specific and what areas not so much. I would like to have a general idea of what the end product should look like, since along with your endoresements that will help us know who to vote for.

BTW - we have been having discussions on physically rightsizing the city in terms of closing off certain areas of the city that have few people, hope that at some point your paper can give us some thoughts about that concept.
    Last edited by firstandten; May-12-09 at 02:17 PM.

We might as well wait until tomorrow to see which candidates actually turned in petitions. No need to study up on 93 people when the list may get cut down to under 30.

Well, I turned in mine. I will be on the ballot as:

Andrew Thomas Linn

When I went to the election commission at 9:10, I was the only person there, from then until I left at about 10:30, not a single other person came in.

Quote Originally Posted by andylinn View Post

Andrew Thomas Linn

When I went to the election commission at 9:10, I was the only person there, from then until I left at about 10:30, not a single other person came in.

Smart move on your part to get there early. I had to go down to the County Clerk's office earlier, and the line looked like the people were waiting for game 7 tickets for the Stanley Cup. Good Luck to you.

Andrew Thomas Linn

Andrew Thomas Linn for Charter Commission! He's a good man, and as Flannery O'Connor said, "A good man is hard to find." Anyone who knows Andy would say the same.

Find out more about Andy here: http://apps.facebook.com/causes/274514

boogiechillen,

You are very kind, thank you for the compliments. Among my other lesser ideas, if elected, I will:

• Push for the inclusion of the public in the charter revision process - via townhall meetings, listening sessions, presentations.
    • Work extremely hard to redraft the council election process to create a district / ward election system.
    • Painstakingly work with my fellow commissioners to create language that is less vague, closing debate on issues such as the recently disputed process of the former council president returning to council after a special appointment.
    • Carefully craft cost-saving provisions, including modifying the emergency election language so that we will never again have another year with four elections.

sehender1, where did you find the list that is linked in your article? I would be interested in seeing a more up-to-date version.

Thank you, Andy

andylinn:
    We got the list from the city clerk this week.
    We're still waiting to get the finalized list from the clerk after the filing deadline.
    When I get it, I'm going to post at FreepOpinion.com.

boogiechillen,

You are very kind, thank you for the compliments. Among my other lesser ideas, if elected, I will:

• Push for the inclusion of the public in the charter revision process - via townhall meetings, listening sessions, presentations.
    • Work extremely hard to redraft the council election process to create a district / ward election system.
    • Painstakingly work with my fellow commissioners to create language that is less vague, closing debate on issues such as the recently disputed process of the former council president returning to council after a special appointment.
    • Carefully craft cost-saving provisions, including modifying the emergency election language so that we will never again have another year with four elections.

sehender1, where did you find the list that is linked in your article? I would be interested in seeing a more up-to-date version.

Thank you, Andy
    I am glad you are running Andy. I support Jess Pfeiffer and Rosy Mary Robinson as well. My hope is that each member of the charter commission will work hard to create an accountability of each city department to the City Council. The lack of transparancy of the current system is glaring.

I filed last Thursday at the Election Commission. There was absolutely no one there for about 30 minutes until Charles Pugh came in. I think almost EVERY employee came out from the back to shake his hand and wish him well.

"If you think you can, you can; if you think you can't, you're right"
    Join: http://apps.facebook.com/causes/279229?m=714b0a78

This just in:

According to the city clerk, 56 candidates have filed their petitions!

This will be an exhilarating race.