Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    gdogslim Guest

Default Cairo, Eqypt - Riots Chaos Protests

Is this the end of Mubarek's term? Will the US continue to prop him up?
    Mubarek's son fled to London [[cash in geneva?)
    The radical islamic clerics would love to take over, then they could finish off the coptic christians in egypt.
    Al Jezeera's live stream.
    http://english.aljazeera.net/watch_now/
    disclaimer: some graphic video of violence in cairo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFKq9...layer_embedded

Not all the protesters in these countries are radical ..sorry to break it to the islophobes...even in Gaza the young are getting restless [[ there are students that are saying F- Israel, F-Hamas, F- PA and where is the world..we want are freedom)... one word out of the conflict areas is that for many years the governments in the region used the falsehood that the only opposition is radicalized ... when in fact many are secular.. we should hope for the best..and maybe all oppressed in the region could rise up against oppression...

Quote Originally Posted by gibran View Post
    Not all the protesters in these countries are radical ..sorry to break it to the islophobes...even in Gaza the young are getting restless [[ there are students that are saying F- Israel, F-Hamas, F- PA and where is the world..we want are freedom)... one word out of the conflict areas is that for many years the governments in the region used the falsehood that the only opposition is radicalized ... when in fact many are secular.. we should hope for the best..and maybe all oppressed in the region could rise up against oppression...
    But, predictably, the radical opposition is hitching their wagons to the protesters, positioning themselves as the alternative. See Muslim Brotherhood, in the case of Egypt.

The Egyptian Embassy's explanation for why nobody in Egypt can get a connection to the Internet: "possibly the cleaning guy might have unplugged the Internet by mistake". [source]

Egypt Cuts Off Most Internet and Cell Service

Interesting graph at the link. It shows a tiny bit of traffic after the cut. That might be via satellite coms.

gdogslim Guest

secret US document discloses support for protesters
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-uprising.html
    - Document - the person is in detention now.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...rotesters.html

Will this be another Iran, with the radicals taking over?
    So it looks like Obama is not encouraging The quasi dictator to stay in power.
    Is Obama encouraging the muslim brotherhood to cause havok?
    Tunisia - where is Obama ? Most Muslim people are very nice, not the radical extremists.
    If this is true, how can any mid east country trust the U.S.?
    Obama is weak and the world leaders know this and are taking advantage of him.

do you actually believe that this has MB finger prints.. if you have been following it in the openning days the MB stayed away... this may actually be part secular and part poor..part educated without employment...it may be an opportunity.. and yes if the MB starts to flex maybe they will get dished... hopefully like the kids in Gaza they want a real peace,,,not hamas, not PA and not Israeli...they want real peace ...so this may be catching on.. a truly secular and moderate revolution... we can only hope eh. This could be a revolution like the nationistic ones in the 1950's when these countries shook off colonialism.. I hope it leads to moderates and peace.. hopefully others will exercise freedom and then force a peace in the ME for all people.

gdogslim Guest

There is no question Mubarek has repressed the people of Egypt and the US has helped prop him up with 1.8 billion a year. I would rather have that money invested in cities in the US, Similar to Iran.
    Obama's dad was an anti colonialist so it makes sense that Obama's dream 'from' his father may play a part in this. You better believe the MB terrorists are either planning to take control or are fomenting riots.
    Just look what happened to Lebanon, a jewel in the mid east, after the radical muslim's took over.

Amen....Praise Jesus!!! The holy wars can't be far off now......

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    But, predictably, the radical opposition is hitching their wagons to the protesters, positioning themselves as the alternative. See Muslim Brotherhood, in the case of Egypt.
    The key here is that they are trying to do all that. From what I've been hearing, they haven't been very succesful in that effort and the U.S. should focus on keeping it that way.

State's understanding of Mubarek's viewpoint makes me think. Mubarek believes that everywhere the US has been successful at pressuring the government to allow reform, the extremist have taken over. So, he will not be listening to Obama especially since Obama has not tried to contact him. Heavy handed it will be.

My personal opinion is that since it is Egypt, the Egyptian masses should have the final say which means Mubarek is done and free elections and wealth redistribution will happen. Obama is intelligently trying to handle it diplomatically so we aren't hit hard by either outcome. We need Egypt's support in that region very badly, but if I were President, I'd be undermining Mubarek through our intelligence agencies before he brings us down with him. Then, I'd very quickly double the foreign aid funding to any newly elected government. Its a savings if you consider the repercussions that losing Egypt would have on long term DOD and State budgets.

gdogslim Guest

Isn't it odd the Obama is following the basics of the Bush doctrine.

A Very Fine Thing

The Egyptian Revolution

By GARY LEUPP
    January 28, 2011, Day of Rage.
    I’m watching live coverage of the Egyptian revolution on Al-Jazeera TV. Cairo is swarming with hundreds of thousands, defying the curfew, hurling stones at the police. The images recall the Palestinian youth waging their Intifadas. The National Democratic Party headquarters is in flames. Downtown Suez has been taken over by the people, two police stations torched. The security forces are out in strength and shooting into crowds. But the people have lost their fear.
    Reporters and commentators on Al-Jazeera and other channels have no choice but to note that Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak is widely hated, and that those in the street are seeking freedom from a dictatorship. But they also keep saying “The situation is getting worse.”
    Worse?
    I think of Mao Zedong’s response to critics of peasant rebellion in China in 1927. He noted that “even progressive people” saw uprisings as “terrible.” “But it’s not terrible,” he declared. “It is anything but ‘terrible.’ It’s fine!”
    Watching the live coverage, I see the people of Egypt, fed up with their oppression, and inspired by the revolution in Tunisia, doing something very, very fine. It is inspiring. It is profoundly hopeful.

More at http://www.counterpunch.com/leupp01282011.html

This is not a Muslim thing. It's a class and age thing. The overwhelmingly young [[70 percent) people of Egypt are sick of a corrupt autocrat who doesn't provide jobs and opportunities -- not to mention their sympathy for the suffering people of Palestine while Mubarak keeps the peace with the Israeli government.

he would have bombed them by now...kidding of course...or would have had Wolfowitz and Perle finding "yellow cake and new world order mandates"..nope this president again is doing the right thing and again the haters find a way to poke it..

I guess we can be thankful that they aren't burning American flags in the protests... it does seem to be agains Mubarak...

Although one hopes for the safety of all Egyptians... I do hope that Egypt's antiquites are not looted. These types of periods of turmoil sometimes have some bad consequences. I bet Mr. Hasawi... [[whom we know from PBS and cable Egypt stories as the head of Egypts antiquities)... has taken measures to try to secure the antiquities from looting.

Also... I hope the unrest doesn't spread to Jordan. That country has been as "unoppressive" as possible in the Middle East... even though it is a Kingdom.

... but maybe it's time for Libya...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    ... I do hope that Egypt's antiquites are not looted. These types of periods of turmoil sometimes have some bad consequences. I bet Mr. Hasawi... [[whom we know from PBS and cable Egypt stories as the head of Egypts antiquities)... has taken measures to try to secure the antiquities from looting.
    It seems that Hawass may have been a little late:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...le_Lifestyle_5

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth...953366758.html
    "...
    The new business class was quickly and widely seen by Egyptians as a corrupt and greedy elite created by the regimes and under its watchful eyes to take ownership of the country's newly and chaotically privatised economy and to support the regime in return.
    Egyptians widely feared that the new business elite were given a lot of advantages by the regime. They were sold large public sector companies for below market values. They were granted huge bank loans, massive tax cuts, and large pieces of land to buy their loyalty and support..."

Sound familiar?

I can't believe how the violence esculated so quickly just over night.

Live history. MSN has a live camera on Tahrir Square right now with the Egyptian National Museum in the middle ground. They have the scoop. "The revolution is being televised". This really reminds me of Tienanmen Square. The other cables don't have anything live.

Google Map View

Quote Originally Posted by gibran;218909[B
    ]Not all the protesters in these countries are radical[/B] ..sorry to break it to the islophobes...even in Gaza the young are getting restless [[ there are students that are saying F- Israel, F-Hamas, F- PA and where is the world..we want are freedom)... one word out of the conflict areas is that for many years the governments in the region used the falsehood that the only opposition is radicalized ... when in fact many are secular.. we should hope for the best..and maybe all oppressed in the region could rise up against oppression...
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    The Egyptian Embassy's explanation for why nobody in Egypt can get a connection to the Internet: "possibly the cleaning guy might have unplugged the Internet by mistake". [source]
    And soon to be the Obama Administration's explanation. Or the next president's.

Terry Gross had an excellent presentation/discussion about this topic on Fresh Air today. I forgot the name of the guy she interviewed and discussed with. It's well worth checking out. I'm going to check out his writings. Boston newspaper, I think. Two days in a row she had an excellent program. When she's on her game, there's no one better.

It seems that while the cultists whip up imaginary islamophobic nonsense about the, er, freedom fighters, Anderson Cooper has been beaten by Pro-government thugs.
    Such ingratitude, after the millions and millions of our tax dollars that have gone to shore up this corrupt dictatorship.

So let's see, the conservocrites supported a "failed big government program" i.e. a stupid, expensive, failed war, to create democracy in Eye-Raq at the point of a gun, and eight years later it is still not working.

Meanwhile, in Egypt, without the slightest bit of help from US taxpayers [[but with the help of the "free-market" ideas that drove up food costs in most of the world, but not in the US) a dictatorship is about to fall, and a guy who comes off as a "liberal" is emerging as the leader of the revolution.
    Rock on, Mohamed ElBaradei.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

Also... I hope the unrest doesn't spread to Jordan. That country has been as "unoppressive" as possible in the Middle East..

People in the Middle East are no less capable of being unoppressive than people anywhere else.

Beating Anderson Cooper is the last straw. President Obama needs to send the Marines in.

Quote Originally Posted by barnesfoto View Post
    It seems that while the cultists whip up imaginary islamophobic nonsense about the, er, freedom fighters, Anderson Cooper has been beaten by Pro-government thugs.
    Such ingratitude, after the millions and millions of our tax dollars that have gone to shore up this corrupt dictatorship.

So let's see, the conservocrites supported a "failed big government program" i.e. a stupid, expensive, failed war, to create democracy in Eye-Raq at the point of a gun, and eight years later it is still not working.

Meanwhile, in Egypt, without the slightest bit of help from US taxpayers [[but with the help of the "free-market" ideas that drove up food costs in most of the world, but not in the US) a dictatorship is about to fall, and a guy who comes off as a "liberal" is emerging as the leader of the revolution.
    Rock on, Mohamed ElBaradei.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast