Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

citylover Guest

Default Our auto heritage in Washtenaw county

It seems odd that this has not been on the history ch or something unless I missed it. Currently owned I believe by a UM faculty person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0jyOfSg0P8

Not surprising, he apparently owned more than one estate.
    SE corner 10 Mile and Inkster in Southfield,
    the estate there was formerly owned by Bennett also.

lilpup Guest

I think Bill Ford might own it now. He was interested in getting it a while ago and he lives in that area, certainly within the boundaries of acreage mentioned in the video.

I thought Ford Motor owned it when Bennett was there.

Probably wrong - should look it up in the tax rolls - but I do know Bill Ford Jr. expressed interest in it at one time and lives nearby.
    Last edited by lilpup; January-28-11 at 10:14 AM.

Anyone know the address of this place? I'm curious as to where it is exactly.

lilpup Guest

don't know the number but it's between Geddes and the river, east of Gale Road
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Going off the title of this thread,

There's a lot of automotive history in washtenaw county, especially in and around ypsilanti. I lived in ypsi for a long time and am a history buff so I learned quite a bit.

First is the willow run plant which of course was used by a few carmakers and during WWII caused the population to explode in the area. I heard that at its peak it rolled out a B28 bomber every 20 minutes! Rosie the riveter was based on a worker there. [[I was quite saddened when GM decided to close up the transmission plant there)

You may have heard of Preston Tucker and his revolutionary car [[there's a documentary out on him) He was based in ypsi and his house is still there in town.

In depot town is the automotive heritage museum that I believe was the last remaining hudson dealer in the country...lots of cool stuff in there.

Ford/Visteon/ACH had a plant right by I94 that only recently closed. I understand this was a very early plant and Henry Ford himself used to walk the floors. The rawsonville plant is still open near Ford lake [[care to guess who created that lake lol)

I'm probably forgetting some other things but I always like to point these things out for people interested in our regions history.

citylover Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    I think Bill Ford might own it now. He was interested in getting it a while ago and he lives in that area, certainly within the boundaries of acreage mentioned in the video.

I thought Ford Motor owned it when Bennett was there.

Probably wrong - should look it up in the tax rolls - but I do know Bill Ford Jr. expressed interest in it at one time and lives nearby.

As far as I know it is owned by a UM business Prof and he lives there. For a very long time it was owned by the Starkes.Just west of the actual house/castle is Starkes strasse where the arc welding business of the starke family was located. I know they owned the house but I don't think they lived there. And I may have a few facts wrong but for the most part I am accurate.

So going past Starke strasse there are several gates leading to something....one of those must be to this place.

I doubt the Fords have much interest in the castle as it does conjure up an odious time in Ford history. I t is somewhere in the 5500 hundreds on Geddes east of us23. Anyhow it is a unique place and has not had much publicity.