Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default BBC: Motown's Martha Reeves 'too honest' for Detroit politics?

DetroitPole Guest

She didn't "fit in" because Detroiters rejected her when she ran for a second term her for being stupid as the day is long.
    She also never appeared to take the job very seriously, calling it a "part-time" job and touring while in office and being blissfully unaware of the city around her.
    She wasn't honest; she was an opportunist. She needed a job so used her name recognition to make some fat cash while doing essentially nothing.

By didn't fit it does she mean 'I was in over my head'? This is the dingbat that had to be told where Tiger Stadium was located.
    Last edited by MSUguy; January-28-11 at 03:06 PM.

I hope the folks in the UK don't believe her. But even if they do, at least we won't.

Great musician but poor, seemingly uninterested, office holder. She may have been honest but she was not involved.

I remember her riding in her Mercedes Benz in the Labor Day Parade and asking plaintively why are those auto workers screaming at me?

Yes, I agree. People with dementia are just way too "honest" -- as in they blurt out the figments of imagination they take for reality.

Two words: SLUM LORD. She's still part of the problem.

Anyone catch her comments on talking about KK's first 4 years as productive... and his 2nd 4 years as not so.... funny... I guess everyone except her know's that KK didn't serve for 8 years....

Well I got a good laugh out of that 'headline' anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    She didn't "fit in" because Detroiters rejected her when she ran for a second term her for being stupid as the day is long.
    She also never appeared to take the job very seriously, calling it a "part-time" job and touring while in office and being blissfully unaware of the city around
    I hate to be rude but you hit the nail on the head! To say Martha wasn't the brightest one at the table is a gross understatement! I was deeply ashamed when she was elected&proud as punch when she lost her re-election bid.

Alright,I just watched the video[[should have done that before posting)and I have to say Martha Reeves is nuts!!!!!!!!!!!
    She's like a daffy crazy old aunt who shouldn't be allowed outdoors without supervision. As my aunt used to say "That woman bears watching"

Her early Motown singing was genius but, lord, she is an Embarrassment now when she sings.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Her early Motown singing was genius but, lord, she is an Embarrassment now when she sings.
    I can't take away from the contribution she's made to the music world. No one can do that but the woman should just shut up.
    I went to a community forum when I lived in Detroit for those running for council at the time. I won't go into details but Ms.Reeves made it clear to me[[based on an answer she gave me before the Q&A started)that she wasn't right for the job. I told anyone&everyone I knew who would listen not to vote for her. To my horror&dissapointment I had more than one person tell me "I voted for her because I like her music" To which I responded "You should have stayed home on election day and listen to her records instead of voting!"

...and the say comedy is dead?

When she saw the "Hardtalk" sign on that set she should have turned around and started running.

I honestly wonder is she knows that there's this thing called the internet that allows an interview done in the UK to be seen all over the world.

Is that the same Martha who was too busy on singing in Vegas to go back to Detroit for a crucial vote? I think she called it her "part-time" job.

She's another has-been that proved the Peter Principal.

It is possible that she was too unintelligent for Detroit politics, which is something one might not expect was an option.

I had a couple of friends who worked on the corrpution probe, they said they used to get a great laugh everytime Martha opened her mouth. They couldn't believe how stupid she came off.

At least you had to love the way she felt obligated to sing at nearly everything she did. 45 years ago that would have worked... now, it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    At least you had to love the way she felt obligated to sing at nearly everything she did. 45 years ago that would have worked... now, it's just sad.
    It's infuriating, is what it is. I think all candidates for Detroit public office should be ordered to get a psych work-up to run. They have more power than cops who must get them, so that would be only fair.