Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Are Metro Police Departments Starting To Charge For Auto Accident Reports?

OK, I got into an auto accident in Eastpointe on 10 Mile near Gratiot back in December....

Someone made a right on a red light without seeing me coming down 10 Mile [[I had the right of way)... and I swerved to the left to miss the car... hit a patch of ice, went over the curb, and hit a street sign. I was not hurt, and my car was driveable, although with a damaged front end [[the street sign was totally undamaged).

The other driver may never have seen me [[or he/she wouldn't have cut out into 10 Mile Rd.), and drove off.

So I drove to the Eastpointe Police Department and immediately went inside to file a police report. An officer accompanied me outside for about 1 minute to check my vehicle damage.

The next day AAA called to say those magic words we all like to hear.... "they were waving the deductible".

Now fast forward to a month later. I get a letter from AAA saying that they denied a claim they received from the Eastpointe Police Department for compensation, because it is "the function of the police to handle accident investigation and traffic control".

Bravo I thought... until I read the attached copy of what the police wanted AAA to pay for....

"The following equipment and personnel responded to the scene for up to 60 minutes with:
    1) 1 Police Vehicle [[$154.00)
    2) 1 Police Station Prep/Administration [[$133.35)
    3) 1 Police Officer [[$40.00)
    The following services were also performed: Investigate Scene"

What actually happened [[as I told AAA)... was I drove to their station, spent about 10 minutes with an officer in the lobby... who filled out a police report, and xeroxed my Drivers License, Proof of Insurance and Registration. Then another officer came out to the parking lot for 1 minute to view my damage.

Maybe they sent an officer to check up on my claim of an undamaged street sign [[I went back myself to inspect it... it was a heavy duty one with no damage)... but it sure looked as though they were trying to get AAA to pay some money for work they never did.

But what gives?

I realize that many metro Detroit [[not just Detroit) cities are hurting... but are their Public Safety departments in such dire straits, that they're resorting to try to get money from insurers [[or us)??

Something tells me that in the near future this same bill may come to my house... demanding payment. If so... I know better than to drive over to that jurisdictions police department to complain... and would rather handle it by phone.

Are cities now resorting to charging "non-taxpaying non-local" folks for their police services?

Has anyone else had an accident with any type of compensation request [[their insurer or themselves?) from a police department??

It's pretty common for FDs and Rescue/Ambulance services to bill insurance companies for a response. Can't say as I've heard of a PD doing it but I wouldn't be surprised.

That said, billing for a response when they didn't respond would be insurance fraud, wouldn't it? Could be an office pencil pusher sent the invoice in ignorance of the fact it was done in-house. I'd check with the PD and the City Attorney if necessary.

As for the PD billing you; probably won't happen. Most FDs that submit the claim to the insurance company will let it go if they don't pay. Some will try to bill the individual, but most won't.
    Last edited by Meddle; January-28-11 at 04:41 AM.

Meddle, I respectfully disagree. My husband was involved in an accident on I-75 up near Holly. A gentleman in another vehicle fell asleep at the wheel, hit the right hand guard rail, careened off of it and broadsided my husband's small pick up truck, which then flipped onto it's roof and travelled several hundred feet.

Fire and EMS responded to the scene with the State Police. My husband was briefly treated for road rash, but not taken to the hospital. The State Police drove him up to the closest gas station to wait for me to pick him up.

We got a bill from the Springfield Twp fire department for $240. The insurance company would not cover it and the township would not waive it. We ended up having to pay.

I believe there was recently an article in one of the papers on this topic. In all honesty, if I remember the circumstances, it makes sense to me. As long as you live in the jurisdiction you were involved in the accident, you shouldn't have to pay, as you already pay for the services through your taxes. Same logic would apply if you were involved in an accident on the freeway and Michigan State Police were involved, as we all pay Michigan taxes. Now, if you don't live where the accident occured, why should the tax payers who live there have to foot the bill? Times are getting tough, and cities are looking to cut costs and cover bills by the most efficient means they can.

Just to play devil's advocate though, why couldn't the State Police respond to the accident, regardless of where it happened, upon which the services would have already been paid for...so long as you lived in Michigan. One problem I see with this line of thinking, would this eventually mean that if you were a victim of a crime in a city that you would have to pay for police services in order to make a report? Can you imagine the headlines "Rape victim unable to afford to make police report because they couldn't afford costs involved in an investigation," the ACLU would be all over it, rightfully so.

Actually, I think I'd rather not see us head down this path of charging for accident reports, because it looks like a slippery slope to me that will only piss a lot of people off and lead to legal action against cities.

It's all bullshit. That's what we pay taxes for.

Like I said, some will, some won't.

Expect that more will in the future as funding continues to be an issue.

But...................just think of all the money you're saving because of those tax cuts you got.

But...................just think of all those public servant's pension and deferred retirement program benefits you're protecting by paying those "user fees".

Just think of all of the money you or your parents saved in taxes because politicians 5, 10, 20 years ago decided they could keep the employees happy by giving them higher pensions in lieu of pay increases, and then didn't fund the damned pension plans.

I guess I was hiding behind the door when they passed out all those "higher pensions" y'all keep talking about.

Mine from the C of D after 29 years of service is about $24,000 a year. Taxable, and I have to pay $160 a month for supplemental health insurance from BCBS.

I'm not complaining. But I'm sure tired of hearing you guys tell how good I have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    It's all bullshit. That's what we pay taxes for.
    EXACTLY! WTF do they get payed to do when the clock in? Drive around in a car all day? They get paid to do basically nothing all day and when they actually do something they get paid again? Yes I know their job can be dangerous at times but so can others. Double dipping all the way. Damn that pisses me off!

When you report a stolen vehicle in Detroit, always make sure you follow up with phone
    calls, every day, preferably at the same time, every day, and get the officers name, and note
    the time [[when asking for "any new news"?)....because what happens is, they find the vehicle,
    impound it, and let it sit, for however long they feel like letting it sit, or file their lax'y'daz'ical
    scheduled reports. It can take weeks, believe me!!!! [[I've been there)
    Why???? Because they charge 'IMPOUND FEES' !!!!! That's right....on vehicles recovered
    that are stolen...the unfortunate victim is further victimized by the DPD by being forced to
    pay impound fees, generally costing hundreds and even thousands!!!!!
    When you then 'Bulk' at this insanity, they look at you as if every problem they've ever had, is your fault, besides the place being guarded like it's Fort Knox, all very intimidating.
    Then they drop the hammer, that you could have the fees waived, if only you simply
    'sign over the title'. What a FUCKING SCAM !!!
    Call the officer back after your vehicle has been recovered, and ask him WHEN it was found.
    Or remember to ask when they initially inform you.
    My brother did this, listening to my advise [[I figured the bastards out)....and after his calling
    diligently for THREE WEEKS, every day, same time, noting every name of those answering,
    and exactly what moment of the day. His truck had been stolen in the evening time, and it was
    then noted [[Dept. Policy) that the vehicle was recovered and impounded at 2:30 am,
    ......the next morning!!!! That's THREE WEEKS impound fees people.
    Somebody.....is making a lot of money off of us!!! WHO!!!!!
    Charlie LeDuff...where are you sir???? We need you to check this one out dude.
    Epilogue: My brother was very happy he finally listened to some of my advise.
    ....Unfortunately, I learned the hard way. And yes, I do have more incidents to tell of.

Exact same thing happened to us, JohnnyFreddy. Car was found within 6 hours, but we were not told for several weeks. It was an old junker car, so we ended up just leaving it at the junk yard because the fees and such had accumulated to more than the car was worth.