Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 13 year old girl held as sex slave

After reading the article in the News I was really bothered by the whole situation.
    First of all let me state that I'm glad the girl is physically ok [[mentally may be a different matter) but my gosh the lack of parenting going on nowdays is simply terrible. I begain to wonder that the guy was evil but the Mom wasn't far behind.

Hopefully for the girls sake maybe she can overcome an almost total lack of parenting and make something of herself.

Wonder how folks feel about this or am I making something out of nothing.

http://detnews.com/article/20110127/...scribes-ordeal

lilpup Guest

I think you are making assumptions that might not be valid. The mom knew her daughter was at a friend's house. How is the mom supposed to know about the girl being abducted off of the street? The creep could have preyed upon ANY girl he found alone - even a good kid from a great family walking home from school.

lilpup

Here are some of the comments that bothered me

"The 13-year-old girl had run away from home before, so after she disappe'ared Jan. 14, her mother thought she was with friends.
    "I figured she was having a good time," the girl's mother said."

just me, but the girl needed to have her butt at home

"The girl went to her friend's house when she first ran away from home two weeks ago, her mother said. "That night, they were driving around at around 2 in the morning when they got into an argument, and the people she was with put her out of the car," the woman said."

A 13 year old hanging out at 2 in the morning... sounds like she is raising herself

"The woman said she alerted police after her daughter called the first time, "But the calls said, 'Restricted,' so it didn't seem like they could do anything," she said.
    A Detroit Police official said the woman called police in December to report the first time the girl ran away from home but never informed them the kidnapper had contacted her"

Mom seems really not that all concerned about her daughter based on the statement above. So what if the calls said restricted you tell the police anyway.

Maybe someone from protective services needs to pay a visit to mom

lilpup Guest

Kids run away from home a lot [[do you have kids?).

The mom didn't know the girl & friends were out at 2 a.m. - perhaps it's the friend's house that needs checking.

The mom says she told police not only about the runaway, but also about later ones. The police said they just got notice of the former. What action did the police take after the first call?

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    Kids run away from home a lot [[do you have kids?).
    Yes, I do however they are now grown. I know kids fake running away from home, but when they do it for real like this one it indicates a more serious problem in the house

The mom didn't know the girl & friends were out at 2 a.m. - perhaps it's the friend's house that needs checking.
    I agree, I guess I'm old fashioned but I always felt that as a minor my kids where my responsiblity and I needed to know where they were at all times. You can't know all of the time where they are but for the most part I knew. And I really didn't care if they didn't like it. My position was I'm not your friend I'm your parent. On the surface that statement may seem cold, but I wish more parents had that attitude

The mom says she told police not only about the runaway, but also about later ones. The police said they just got notice of the former. What action did the police take after the first call?
    I guess I would have been a little more proactive. If my daugher was missing I'm going to insist the police tell me something.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    You can't know all of the time where they are but for the most part I knew.
    You think/thought you knew.

And HELLO!!!
    She called how many times??? and sounded SAD!!!
    Let's see....she had run away before [[check) she called and sounded sad [[check) restricted calls
    [[check) gone for HOW LONG? [[check)
    No every day phone calls from friends cell phone/parents home phone [[check)
    Thirteen years old and problematic [[aren't they all at that age, that's why you rein them in tight)
    ....uh...hello...check check check check check !!!!
    MY GOD,,,is this for real ??? I'd be FREAKING OUT!!! if this my child, and I don't even have kids!!!
    I can only imagine how I would feel..... after raising my precious baby for thirteen years, and a little
    girl at that, even more in need of protection these days....and I didn't!!!!
    Are we really that busy, or tired, or fed up in our lives, that we can't make the extra effort to
    ensure that our most precious commodities, our children, are protected long enough so
    they can mature and grow-up, and THEN let loose on their own.
    I'm not saying it was the Mothers fault the child was abducted, there are a lot of cunning
    perpetrators out there....but her follow-up....quite atrocious, in my opinion. But alas, it is way
    too easy to judge, and Monday morning quarterback this one. My heart and best wishes go out
    to the victim and her family, for a loving bond and support from family and friends is what's
    needed right now....not our[[my)whining and second guessing. Let It be people.

I think you are making assumptions that might not be valid. The mom knew her daughter was at a friend's house. How is the mom supposed to know about the girl being abducted off of the street? The creep could have preyed upon ANY girl he found alone - even a good kid from a great family walking home from school.
    Lilpup, did you actually read the article and if you did you don't have a problem with this!!! The "Mother" said the 13 year old had run away before and "assumed" she was at her friends house having fun, does this child attend school? The child is 13 years old...the level of negligent parenting here is frickin criminal, this girl was on her own at 13, and what type of friend is driving around at 2:30 am with a 13 y/o and then kicks them out on the street! There is a subculture in the city that is morally LOST!

Something is askew with this whole story. Sad to say [[and I am not letting the abductor off the hook) some teens as young as this get 'caught up' into some sexual activity voluntarily thru manipulation by a sick adult. This pattern that later goes this way as part of the whole perversion set. What was with her parents? Was an AMBER alert ever put out? Why not. Why was her pattern of not being home addressed?
    Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    Lilpup, did you actually read the article and if you did you don't have a problem with this!!! The "Mother" said the 13 year old had run away before and "assumed" she was at her friends house having fun, does this child attend school? The child is 13 years old...the level of negligent parenting here is frickin criminal, this girl was on her own at 13, and what type of friend is driving around at 2:30 am with a 13 y/o and then kicks them out on the street! There is a subculture in the city that is morally LOST!

lilpup Guest

Yes, I read the article. You, on the other hand, are reading your own mind and it's biases by filling in with information not stated in the article.

Asked before - what did the police do after the mother called this first time? Why did the mother have the impression the police couldn't do anything?

Umm, that's happens here sometimes... people comment on and evaluate varied articles and new stories as they are posted....

And with many 'articles' there are things stated and others not... Indeed there is MORE to this story than stated in this article, and having worked with teens hear and there, I've observed problems in households condoned and left un-addressed. Many teens are neglected. Others are being given over to things that should not occur.
    Yes, I read the article. You, on the other hand, are reading your own mind and it's biases by filling in with information not stated in the article.

Asked before - what did the police do after the mother called this first time? Why did the mother have the impression the police couldn't do anything?
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-30-11 at 10:00 PM.

lilpup Guest

Sorry, my response was directed toward Eastside Cat, not you Zacha. I have some of the same questions you posed - e.g. why no Amber alert? Apparently she felt brushed off by the police.

I hear you... No problem... yeah, what parent has a teen out of the house like this as a pattern? That's just setting a child up [[male of female) for a male of female sexual predator!
    Sorry, my response was directed toward Eastside Cat, not you Zacha. I have some of the same questions you posed - e.g. why no Amber alert? Apparently she felt brushed off by the police.
    Last edited by Zacha341; January-31-11 at 09:24 PM.

Lilpup....Sorry if I miss read/interpreted your take on the article, but it seemed to me you were down playing a missing child e.g. "Kids run away from home a lot [[do you have kids?)". To me a missing 13 year old [[I have two daughters) is a big deal and the article didn't say that the mother confirmed she was at a friend’s house only assumed she was there "having Fun". But still I would not let my daughter have a sleep over where she may possibly end up in a car at 2:30 am. Either way I would agree that my response was highly opinioned but that is what we do here share our opinions based on what is written. I still stand by my response that the mother was not protecting her daughter the best she could and like you said in a later post "where was the Amber alert?

That brings up another point... had this case of a missing 13 y/o girl been properly reported/acted upon by the mother and the police I'm sure it would have been on the agenda for the Detroit 300 to lend their resources, I firmly believe the mom was not as proactive as she could have been here.

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    That brings up another point... had this case of a missing 13 y/o girl been properly reported/acted upon by the mother and the police I'm sure it would have been on the agenda for the Detroit 300 to lend their resources, I firmly believe the mom was not as proactive as she could have been here.
    I agree, the tone of the article gave me the impression that the mother seemed irresponsible