Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Please fix Google Adwords

It's taking a long time for me to load pages on here. All the content loads but the page is frozen until the Google ads load almost a minute later. I do not have dial up either, something has changed for the worst in the site remodeling. Please fix. Thank you!

Sorry, but it costs a lot to run this site and while we get donations from the generous few of you they are not enough to cover our real dollar costs. Google ads cover that gap.

The pages load very quickly for me on laptop and iPhone and we have had not had any other complaints. Your problem may be local or with your browser.

If you still have problems, try switching to the minimal default skin by using the skin chooser dropdown in the lower left corner of any page. Good luck.

The default skin actually turns off the Google Ad words, it's still loading alot slower than previously. VBulletin has released a patch for version 4.1.0 that specifically deals with "There was an issue identified in vBulletin 4.1.0 that may cause increased web-server load and/or increased page load times for end users."

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?p=2128420

Hope that helps, Good Luck.

Thanks but we have already been running vBulletin version 4.1.0 Patch Level 2 since the changeover.

Again, the pages load very quickly for me on laptop and iPhone, faster than the 3.8.x which preceded the changeover, and we have had not had any other complaints. It is a mystery to me why yours isn't but we'll keep looking.

The site has always run a little slower for me than it did back in the Discus days, but I think the latest vBulletin update has sped it up a little bit. I'm not experiencing anything on the scale Russix seems to be dealing with.

No trouble here at all on my laptop, as I sit on my back patio at 2:39 p.m. PST. Oh, that thermometer is not quite on 70....chilly day........

Where's Ray? Ray did you catch this picture of Henderson in the Jan Nat. Geographic magazine?
    I think I see your Tiger D in row B7 unit 152.

"A new house went up every 20 minutes during the 2004 building boom that seized Las Vegas and its sprawling suburbs, like Henderson. The American lifestyle—characterized by gas-thirsty cars and big houses using lots of electricity—contributes to the country's energy appetite; its [United States'] carbon emissions are four times higher than the global average."
    http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/7-billion

I'm experiencing the same thing as Russix. Slow to load and painfully slow using WiFi.

WiFi should not be an issue unless your device, Wifi or laptop wife receiver card, is defective. They do wear out quickly I have found. It is the speed to your modem that counts. After that the WIFI to your device will be many times faster, yet not as fast or stable as being hardwired. Nonetheless the difference should generally be minuscule.

I have run ping tests and the site is pinging slower than other domains on the server, so I am digging further into this.

I have reduced the number of thread titles displayed on the forum home pages and the number of posts that display within the threads, before breaking out into extra pages, from 75 to 50 and 50 to 25 respectively which improves the ping tests some.

I do have fast connections so on even my slowest connections the pages are loading within a second or two.

Not my neighborhood, Lowell. Got a mountain in my back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    WiFi should not be an issue unless your device, Wifi or laptop wife receiver card, is defective. They do wear out quickly I have found. It is the speed to your modem that counts. After that the WIFI to your device will be many times faster, yet not as fast or stable as being hardwired. Nonetheless the difference should generally be minuscule.

I have run ping tests and the site is pinging slower than other domains on the server, so I am digging further into this.

I have reduced the number of thread titles displayed on the forum home pages and the number of posts that display within the threads, before breaking out into extra pages, from 75 to 50 and 50 to 25 respectively which improves the ping tests some.

I do have fast connections so on even my slowest connections the pages are loading within a second or two.

Okay, the 30 second page frezze is gone between page loads. Thank you Lowell for your dedication to this site. If you ever need volunteer beta testers for the next revision of detroityes.com, please count me in. I use to write web apps in asp.net/sql for years, so if your looking for a volunteer on some project that includes that, also count me in.
    Last edited by Russix; February-06-11 at 03:46 AM. Reason: i before c

Ray must be on the southern end of PST. Up here in the Pacific Northleft we've to 35 and rain.

Could it be that your computer is infected and/or overloaded? I had a bug in mine that slowed selected programs down to a crawl. Cleaned it out and everything became hunky dory again.....

Occassionally my laptop slows to a crawl.

I traced it down to thashing due to excessive page faults in the jqs.exe process. JQS stands for [[ironically) "Java Quick Start." One criticism of Java is that it's slow. JQS's purpose is to speed up Java by prefetching things it might need. Since it was doing more harm than good, I found a way to shut it off. Shutting it off doesn't seem to adversely affect anything [[even Java).

Unchecking Control Panel > Java > Advanced > Miscellaneous > Java Quick Starter shuts it off until the next Java update is installed then you have to do this all over again.

What a PITA. Something intended to speed one thing up slows everything else down.

Just in case that helps anyone.