Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lilpup Guest

Default Someone please shoot me [Detroit thread on the Huffington Post]

I made the mistake of looking at a Detroit thread on the Huffington Post. There are some real morons who comment over there.

While trying to find what you were looking at... I came across this.....
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_812934.html

NorthEndere Guest

It's called the internet. The comments on anything when attached to a newspaper site are just downright nasty, regardless of the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthEnder View Post
    It's called the internet.
    The internet doesn't embarrass humanity, people embarrass humanity.

I cannot read the comments on Freep.com anymore. I lose all faith in humanity.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Ditto..its so sad and It makes me scared that some of those people might live next door to me

Quote Originally Posted by NorthEnder View Post
    It's called the internet. The comments on anything when attached to a newspaper site are just downright nasty, regardless of the subject.
    Same with youtube. Want to listen to a Cat Stevens song? Surprise! You are now embroiled in a vitriolic battle on the nature of Islam.

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    Ditto..its so sad and It makes me scared that some of those people might live next door to me

I don't think there's a single commenter on the Freep site who actually lives in the city of Detroit.

bartock Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I don't think there's a single commenter on the Freep site who actually lives in the city of Detroit.
    Sure there are. The racism on those boards goes in every direction and, in fairness, seem to come from the same few loonies.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    I dont live in the city and thats why it scares me..there is a solid chance i live next to some of these small minded bigoted freaks who have so little going on in their lives they find pleasure in spewing insainty on message boards

http://www.detnews.com/article/20110...y-car-you-can’

I thought this thread was more suicide by cop.
    Why why why, just one bullet to your own head.

fubarnation Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wintersmommy View Post
    I dont live in the city and thats why it scares me..there is a solid chance i live next to some of these small minded bigoted freaks who have so little going on in their lives they find pleasure in spewing insainty on message boards
    Please give some examples.

Just because someone comments on Detroit in a negative fashion doesn't mean they don't know what they are talking about. You don't have to live there to know what's going on. What's reported in the papers and on TV is usually pretty accurate. Usually one trip into town will show you what 30 plus years of governmental incompetence and neglect will do to a once great city.

Anyone in Michigan who pays taxes has an investment in the city of Detroit whether they like it or not. The city is not self sustaining. Therefore, they have a right and really, an obligation to complain when their money is being wasted.

If any of you can make a case for Detroit as a fiscally responsible, well run, low crime place where K-12 education is the best available and city services a second to none, I for one, would like to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by fubarnation View Post
    If any of you can make a case for Detroit as a fiscally responsible, well run, low crime place where K-12 education is the best available and city services a second to none, I for one, would like to see it.
    I can't make that claim about a whole slew of cities in this state, but I certainly wouldn't spend day and night bashing those cities either. There's a difference between a complaining and bashing.

I've read, watched and listened to much of the national and international media coverage of Detroit that has gushed forth over the past 2 1/2 years. On the whole, I think the majority has been well done, sophisticated and sympathetic to Detroit's plight. Stressing "on the whole." Some stories have been stupid and innacurate. But media coverage, whether local or out-of-town, is the least of Detroit's problems.

fubarnation Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    I can't make that claim about a whole slew of cities in this state, but I certainly wouldn't spend day and night bashing those cities either. There's a difference between a complaining and bashing.
    What you define as bashing, others would call complaining. Even if it is accurately considered bashing, most of the bashers have earned the right via their tax dollars donated to Detroit at the expense of their own communities. It is fair to say that Detroit does not earn its keep in the scheme of things.

As far as your opinion about the school system, please don't attempt to compare that POS known as DPS to anything else in the state. Thousands of future's have been stolen by the DPS administration. Everyone in the state knows how bad Detroit schools are run and we all pay for it. The damage that has been done is monumental.

Whipping out the race card [[referring to other posts) just enables the wrong doers. Wrong is wrong, regardless of race. Does anyone really want what's going on there to continue on it's current course?

I have convinced myself that the comment posters on Freep and Detnews add up to three or four guys with a lot of user IDs living in their parents' basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkguy View Post
    I have convinced myself that the comment posters on Freep and Detnews add up to three or four guys with a lot of user IDs living in their parents' basement.
    If only that were true.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Same goes for me and the Windsor Star. Sometimes I just wish they would disable the comments section all together because people always ruin the good news. Nothing is ever good enough. Like this CS Wind/Samsung wind turbine plant coming to the city......they just crap all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkguy View Post
    I have convinced myself not to read the comments on the Freep or Detnews. It wasn't hard.

Whipping out the race card [[referring to other posts) just enables the wrong doers. Wrong is wrong, regardless of race. Does anyone really want what's going on there to continue on it's current course?
    Ahh, I see where we're going with this. No one mentioned race but you. I think there's a reason why, but you have a good day.

fubarnation Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Ahh, I see where we're going with this. No one mentioned race but you. I think there's a reason why, but you have a good day.
    See Bartok's post above. You have a good day as well.

NorthEndere Guest

To its credit, the Detroit News changed it's format so that the comments are detached from the article. My local paper just recently did this for particular articles. I understand why papers still leave the comments below the articles. It gets them more clicks and thus more ad revenue, but it's not worth it in the end, if you ask me.

fubarnation, nice handle. It tells me all I need to know about you. That you're the only one trying to hedge and defend newspaper comments is proof enough that you're probably one of the more prolific trolls on the local internet. There is no excusing the vitriol that occurs online. These newspaper messageboards are a pitiful, filthy den of sexist, racist, bigoted, homophobic, religiously intolerant, etc. vipers.

See Bartok's post above. You have a good day as well.
    Seems there's a difference between mentioning racial/ethnic polarity [[Bartock's post) and actually playing the 'card'.

lilpup Guest

AnnArbor.com has taken to heavily censoring their comment boards. The comment count was over 20 for one story but when I went to read them only two hadn't been removed by AnnArbor.com.

Just because someone comments on Detroit in a negative fashion doesn't mean they don't know what they are talking about.
    I guess theoretically you are right, but in practice you are so, so wrong... LOL.

Anyone in Michigan who pays taxes has an investment in the city of Detroit whether they like it or not. The city is not self sustaining. Therefore, they have a right and really, an obligation to complain when their money is being wasted.
    I'm just curious what makes you think a disproportionate amount of state tax dollars ends up in the city? Is that just an assumption or is there some study that you have seen. I would assume if we are talking about per capita funding, rural areas would probably get the "most" funding, though I don't have any data to back that up...

It would be great if that were the case, but last time I checked posting comments on a newspaper website isn't going to change anything...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast