Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Park Avenue Streetscape Improvements?

Long time lurker here - - haven't posted much so forgive me if this has been discussed and I missed it.

I've heard rumors and seen renderings about a proposed streetscape improvement plan for Park Ave between I-75 and GCP, but am looking for more details. I doubt this is something that is funded, but my understanding is that the DDA is leading the efforts to develop the plan and identify funding sources.

That part of Park Ave is interesting to me - - just on the fringe of Foxtown, with several great strongholds already in place, but plenty of room for growth and improvement. I do think, however, that a lot of the vacant lots on the west side of Park Ave are Ilitch-owned and are being held for God knows what. Improvements to the streetscape there could end up being a "deal maker" for investors and business owners who are still hesitant to be "loss leaders" for a western expanding entertainment district.

Any information or thoughts would be much appreciated.

They could start by adding the street to a police route...this past summer there were 6-8 cops on Woodward for some event, but if you walked over to Park there were no cops, and about 8 cars lining the street by the Blenheim had busted out windows.

lincoln8740 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    They could start by adding the street to a police route...this past summer there were 6-8 cops on Woodward for some event, but if you walked over to Park there were no cops, and about 8 cars lining the street by the Blenheim had busted out windows.
    That has been going on for ages with no end in sight. What makes it truly troubling is that there is a cop shop right across from the park bar!!

I love the guy that owns the jeep that always parks there. He takes out the windows and the roof so there is nothing to break into!!!--Smart!

That's what I mean...that corridor has a ton of potential but until its perception is enhanced as being safer, cleaner, etc. it will sit stagnant.

Quote Originally Posted by lincoln8740 View Post
    That has been going on for ages with no end in sight. What makes it truly troubling is that there is a cop shop right across from the park bar!!

Isn't that cop shop closed? Pretty sure there is no police in that building. Shame, that building is very nice and has new windows etc.

Dover647.... all those empty parking lots west of Park Avenue.... future Hockey Arena site... if he can just convince the 3 holdouts to sell their 7 parcels... Otherwise he'll likely build it north of the Fisher Fwy. in Midtown... and all those empty lots west of Park... will likely end up being a huge parking structure.